EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Caliane

I am impressed yeah. I had very low expectations of what SOE could do.
They are definitely proving me wrong. (despite the others complaints about water/caves not being in yet, and missing the target for those.)

Conversely, I am fairly disappointed how slow Starbound additions are. and that is getting a combat overhaul, ships, today or tomorrow.. but still. so little progress.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
I got one previously Legaeveth. I responded to your PM. I did not use that key so you can pass it on again. Thanks for the offer!

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I am impressed yeah. I had very low expectations of what SOE could do.
They are definitely proving me wrong. (despite the others complaints about water/caves not being in yet, and missing the target for those.)

Conversely, I am fairly disappointed how slow Starbound additions are. and that is getting a combat overhaul, ships, today or tomorrow.. but still. so little progress.
I guess no company can meet every checkmark. Fuck water.. it'll come.

The only reason it seems like they are really moving fast and it's amazing is because this is voxels, which you don't see anyone large using. I am far from technical unlike a lot of good posts from people like Gecko and such (his explanations of ESO is pretty good from a clinical standpoint) so I don't know how easy/hard it is to work within that medium vs traditional coding.

But I have a Lifetime to DCUO and after an extremely sluggish and uninspired release, they have added more meaningful content and changes to that game in quite a short amount of time so I know the company CAN do it, I'm just amazed they are doing it with something completely new (to me at least).

It's also odd that the only other company seemingly having a vague understanding about this is Trion (at least publicly), and their stuff looks so rudimentary it's embarrassing. The other companies you hear nothing about. Blizzard in-particular made me wonder if "Titan" was voxel based and they just couldn't figure it out so they shelved it. (probably a wrong guess)

Lenas

Trump's Staff
One would assume it's extremely difficult because they aren't using an already-defined engine like Unity or Unreal. They not only have to make this engine work, but they also have to design their own tools to manipulate it (and make them easy enough for us to use).

It's actually pretty daunting.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
One would assume it's extremely difficult because they aren't using an already-defined engine like Unity or Unreal. They not only have to make this engine work, but they also have to design their own tools to manipulate it (and make them easy enough for us to use).

It's actually pretty daunting.
Ah, as I thought. Far from typical. Thanks for that and forgot to add your name... you science guys make my swabby-head hurt with that stuff.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Eh, it's not all that impressive. Landmark beta is basically EQNext alpha. Most of the stuff they will be adding is pretty basic generic mmo shit, plus some level design dev tools. All hand me downs from EQNext development. I'm having a lot of fun, but let's be honest, they're basically working on two games for the price of one.

I'm more impressed with what players have been able to do with the limited clunky tools we're given.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Is it me or are they moving at an unbelievable pace to adding things?
Based on experience from many alphas/betas, game development is typically at a brisk pace once it's in alpha/beta.
They aren't even designing quests/npcs/character progression[levels/pvp/etc] so compared to other games they actually aren't moving very fast, but there are a lot of technical challenges involved that they are attempting to solve so ... yea..

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Eh, it's not all that impressive. Landmark beta is basically EQNext alpha. Most of the stuff they will be adding is pretty basic generic mmo shit, plus some level design dev tools. All hand me downs from EQNext development. I'm having a lot of fun, but let's be honest, they're basically working on two games for the price of one.
I don't think anyone's being dishonest about it, at least here.

Besides, what does it matter if they are building two mmos for the price of one if theyare both F2P? I mean, I paid for the access but didn't have to. We could have sat back after they laid the whole plan and said "Ok, bb when you're done."

If they were charging a sub for either, that's different.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I'm having a lot of fun, but let's be honest, they're basically working on two games for the price of one.
Not really... EQN is going to have its own alpha and beta phases. The two games are going to end up very different. You can go and download an entire Unity engine with entire world systems built into it right now but that doesn't mean two games both based in Unity are the same. The same is true for every game engine.

I'm more impressed with what players have been able to do with the limited clunky tools we're given.
Yes. Those rudimentary tools that had to be created from nothing and made usable by troglodytes.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
What are you talking about? You think the systems/assets etc that are being added to Landmark weren't developed first and foremost for EQNext? It's the whole fucking point of this project.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
All of the tools and materials, sure, but there's going to be a ton of custom content created for EQN. To act like this is EQN's alpha and that it wont have its own separate, dedicated alpha is foolish.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I never said anything about EQNext content. Nor did I say EQN wouldn't have it's own alpha as well. Why don't you read what I wrote instead of making up shit? Landmark is a testbed for all the systems in EQN. The actual amount of development that is Landmark specific is tiny.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I find your lack of reading comprehension disturbing.

Edit: In response to your edit: You're fucking dead wrong. I'm done trying to have a conversation with you. You're either ignorant or being deliberately obtuse.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I wouldn't call it a conversation, more of an argument over semantics. Don't get your dick in a knot buddy.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
It's hardly semantics when you can't comprehend the simplest of fucking sentences.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I never said anything about EQNext content. Nor did I say EQN wouldn't have it's own alpha as well. Why don't you read what I wrote instead of making up shit? Landmark is a testbed for all the systems in EQN. The actual amount of development that is Landmark specific is tiny.
Just the engine is being shared from everything stated... the rest is tenuously tied at best, in fact they wanted to make that clearer by dropping the NEXT part of the title on purpose.

i.e. When combat goes in, it's not going to be anything like Next's combat more than likely has been their statement on the matter.