EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

moontayle

Golden Squire
By their own admission Alpha was to get the basics in and develop a stable platform from which to build off of. They accomplished that and because of the players they now have a much better idea of what to do going forward. The two biggest things that are going to have the largest impact on gameplay are caves and combat, neither of which have been implemented yet. Right now it's a pretty shallow sandbox. You have some things you can craft, the ability to build whatever you can imagine, and a progression that is very easy to get through . Once caves come in, the last of that list gets harder. Who knows how far down you'll have to go in order to get Mithril then, whereas right now you pop over to a Tier 4 island and harvest away. The first on that list is going to change as well, forcing you to get out into the world to get recipes. So right now if you're not into building, you're not going to like what's here because that's pretty much it.

misery_sl

shitlord
I get the feeling they are not getting as many people on board as they had hoped. The 4pack of trailblazer keys used to be a week only to start, then it was full beta access. Now their sending out week long invites. And then looking at the server/world pops, they are all low, even during prime time. I hope I'm wrong though cause I'm loving this game so far.
I had fun initially, but then I realized Landmark isn't what I want out of a game. At least, not yet. When they flesh it out more, and they add more content, I might be willing to give it another look. Until that time comes, I'll be sitting this one out.

When I got into alpha, I mined for hours and days eventually getting the top tier of everything available. Even though they claim that there will be no wipes of inventory, I just can't bring myself to do it again. There's only so much hitting the ground, whacking the same old trees (more tree models please), and looking at the castles and towers that everyone built (more variety please) that a single person can take. I really like what they did with the game, but it just can't hold my interest. I had a couple of awesome ideas for what I wanted to build, and I built them already. All two or three of them. I guess this is why I'm not an architect, or the reason I never got into CAD.

It'll still be interesting to watch how it evolves, because it will have a direct impact on the final product that I'm really waiting on, EQNext.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I get the feeling they are not getting as many people on board as they had hoped. The 4pack of trailblazer keys used to be a week only to start, then it was full beta access. Now their sending out week long invites. And then looking at the server/world pops, they are all low, even during prime time. I hope I'm wrong though cause I'm loving this game so far.
They have plenty enough people for phase 1 of CB. They changed the passes from the Trailblazer pack because players complained. And, it was the least they could do, if someone is paying them 100 bones to test their game for them, a free-to-play game at that. I'm pretty sure them sending out a bunch of 7 day passes has little or nothing to do with server pops, and everything to do with trying to sell more founder packs. First taste is free, etc.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't care to read the beta agreement I assume this has a hardcore NDA?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Oh I wasnt saying the character movement isn't for me. It's their wording it like they are selling it to children that bothers me.
And by "their/they" you mean the writer at EQHammer, who is not associated with SOE in any way, shape, or form?

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It's just a theory of mine but I really think most older MMO players are going to keep this alive just long enough for the next generation to come along and they will love it. I can see teens playing this 12 hours a day like we played EQ. I'm amazed at the games kids play because it's shit I find boring. Just a changing in the guard.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Eh, it's barely an mmo. It's a building sim with soon to come basic mmo-lite features. It's just Sony trying to cash in on the popularity of Minecraft. But, maybe you meant to post this in the EQN thread?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Every elementary & middle school school child I know has Minecraft installed on their own or their parent's tablet/phone/computer. I'm pretty sure Landmark is aimed at this same demographic. EQN will likely be the less popular option since MMOs service a smaller niche than the sandbox/mincraft niche.

You need to like building stuff to enjoy this game for sure but if it is trying to compete with minecraft than someday you won't have to be a creative builder at all. Other types of projects like circuit boards, automatic harvesting systems, roller coasters and much much more could become possible. Right now Landmark is simply catering to the creative but to truly compete they will need to allow building of everything else too.

For me personally I like the creative building aspect but I don't see this game truly holding my attention until the EQN contests start occurring. I could see myself spending loads of time polishing my Lower Guk build to perfection. And community builds will add an even a greater amount of enjoyment.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I need to stop going to the showcase thread on the Landmark forums. I look at some of the stuff being done there and the only thing I can think of is that I'm like a two-year-old drawing with crayons in comparison.

Zuuljin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
No kidding, I think I need to make more interesting use of props.... I also thought the rocket was awesome!

1909302_10202801886344138_1828485521_o.jpg

1965412_10202829575396347_6973395663632344622_o.jpg

OjoxLQ3.jpg

NphLaNd.jpg

Caliane

jeez...

yeah, I got a bit tired out, after I collected the basic crafts. Found actually building a bit too much fighting with the tools.
Astounding to see some of the things people have made.

also, came across a guy that basically totally built the camp/village+ mead hall I was building. kindof took the wind out of my sails to see what I wanted, basically already done. ha.
hitting up some other games for a bit. may or may not let my claim timeout. logging in once a week to keep it wont be hard though.

Hinadurus_sl

shitlord
I'm just enjoying this casually. It is vastly more appealing to the eye than Minecraft. My daughter loves watching me build, she enjoys doing the mining and logging, also she is liking the outfit options.

I'm building a relatively modern looking home. Just set up a garden on my deck, has a room off to the side with all my workstations. Currently working on a tower and doing props to flesh it all out.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I highly recommend hitting up some swap meets. They advertise on the forums. Some are still open, so you can just copy templates freely. But, a couple of assholes went on a delete spree the other day, so some people have started locking them and you have to ask for the ones you want. Great place to go for furniture, etc. I mainly go for building parts like pillars, arches, windows, things like that. Also, if you're serious about building, you should really pick up a wall of micro voxels. There's always been one at the swap meets I've been to, and it's extremely helpful. It's huge, so you won't miss it.

Here's what it looks like:

rrr_img_64245.jpg

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am with Caliane. I got up to the point of making my tools and getting a nice bit of materials but when I went to started to attempt to create structures, I found the building tools too clumsy to use. It's like the tools were made to be used in some sort of 3d studio software but instead you are stuck with trying to create a 3 dimensional structure from the low perspective of your character. Finding a claim in a relatively flat area is hard now too.