Europa Universalis IV

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Looks like a real fun playthrough - did you feel a power spike when you could finally be a horde and raze land?
Can you raze? Honestly I didn’t think to look, cause I was going through mega whack a mole just to keep revolts in check and other things. Pretty stupid of me not to check, as razing is awesome. I can’t recruit banners and I don’t think there’s horde unity, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the raze button is missing. My power spike came when I captured the Beijing area and started to have an actual economy. Went ham on upping manpower after that, as I was constantly near zero fielding 700k troops with 400k max manpower. Now I’m closer to 2m max troops and 1.7m manpower I think. Been busy, but I’ll have time to play tomorrow night maybe.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
So you can raze, but only heathens.

wooop.jpg

I could probably WC from here if I went ham and just constantly truce broke and no CB'd everyone, but I'm already deep into autism clicker territory, with negative events and rebels pretty much every day, so don't got time for that. Will probably do one more war against the ottos and call it a day.

Asshole france keeps bringing me into wars if I ever dare to find peace time.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Then it will be a new game and I won't feel so chagrined at having to learn all new game mechanics for the same 12 year old game. Same thing for Stellaris but I am not so attached to Stellaris: Once I put it down I haven't tried to pick it back up. Do they revamp that game as well every expansion too?

i have no memory of this place GIF
Not every expansion, but they do throw in some oddball shit every other DLC.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
EU4 works solid on steam deck. Two biggest issues are its a bit slow, especially around month ticks, which isn't a deal breaker, and some of the windows look ugly at 1200x800, especially the declare war one.

wooop.jpg

Playing burgundy and was totally womping on france. Burgundian succession decides to kick off at the start of a long truce with them, and now france is a world power and I'm their PU vassal. Please don't give away my territory france. I didn't mean any of it, promise.

...... FU france
wooop2 (2).jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So you can raze, but only heathens.

View attachment 447448
I could probably WC from here if I went ham and just constantly truce broke and no CB'd everyone, but I'm already deep into autism clicker territory, with negative events and rebels pretty much every day, so don't got time for that. Will probably do one more war against the ottos and call it a day.

Asshole france keeps bringing me into wars if I ever dare to find peace time.

What's going on with Congo and northeast Siberia in all these shots? Is it just unexplored territory?

This game looks incredible, I would have really gotten into it 20 years ago with more free time and motivation.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
What's going on with Congo and northeast Siberia in all these shots? Is it just unexplored territory?

This game looks incredible, I would have really gotten into it 20 years ago with more free time and motivation.
The empty parts of africa are mostly wasteland. In the far northeast, there's uncolonized land, and wasteland to the north of it. If you hold all the provinces (or maybe just the key provinces?) around a wasteland it turns your color. There's actually lots of wasteland throughout the game, especially on mountains, but the african ones are so large they are far more often 'disputed'.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I've often seen it played on Twitch. Arumba likes it. Supposed to be pretty solid, but lots of mechanics you need to relearn.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
This might interesting if EU4 had some amazing game mechanics which would make it fun in other universes like GoT or LOTR, but for me - 95% of the joy playing EU4 is the actual level of detail they put into the history of our world.

I can't imagine playing a fantasy EU4 mod.

On the other hand, I really like the Star Trek mod for Stellaris because unmodded Stellaris is all fantasy races/units anyways

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
wooop.jpg

Pretty happy with this start I did at work over the week. Never done Austria before, as I consider them one of the more OP nations. Did a big chunk of their mission tree aggressive and early, and even managed to take Constantinople back in the mid 1500s. Bavaria, poland and Lithuania are all my PUs. Biggest miss-steps were letting Poland escape their first PU, which may have just been bad luck, and letting Burgundy just get trashed down to a OPM by the time I was able to save them, since they got peaced out of one my wars and our alliance was broken. Used them to retake land from france, but could have done a lot more.

France was completely trashing on GB in a way I've never seen before. I had to intervene just to keep them this in check. They had Brittany, all of burgandy and had the entire big island sieged down.

Tried to beat up france the second they joined the protestant league, hoping I could avoid a nasty war against multiple great powers, but unfortunately Ottomans declared almost immediately on me. Aiming for a white peace with the ottos is my primary goal. From there I should be able to do a number on france and diplo vassalize all the countries I pop out.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I was overly optimistic about my prospects in a war against GP #2 3 4 and 8. At least I only lost a couple provinces, and managed to white peace out of the league war after converting half the HRE OPMs. My military and manpower are in total shambles though.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Are you abdicating each time you can? That's what I've heard is the best way to get Imperial Authority to pass reforms

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

You're thinking about playing the entire armored core series. You platted Elden ring on two different systems. You have the time, brother. The game is worth it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
You're thinking about playing the entire armored core series. You platted Elden ring on two different systems. You have the time, brother. The game is worth it.

I might well take a swing at this. Armored Core has run into a few roadblocks, like all of the games costing exorbitant amounts and emulation being iffy. Good chance I'll end up just playing the PS1 ACs.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I might well take a swing at this. Armored Core has run into a few roadblocks, like all of the games costing exorbitant amounts and emulation being iffy. Good chance I'll end up just playing the PS1 ACs.
If you don't have any of the expansions for EU4 you can buy a subscription for $5 a month that will give you all the expansions while active. I really think it's worth playing with all of them in the most up to date version of the game and it'd be way too expensive to buy them all unless you find a bundle that has them all.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Are you abdicating each time you can? That's what I've heard is the best way to get Imperial Authority to pass reforms
Yea, but I done fucked it up a couple times. One time I didn't notice a few months had changed opinions a lot and lost the emperorship because of it. And another time Poland escaped a PU. Basically resigned myself to not passing all the reforms in a timely manner. Especially because I had a 5/5/6 ruler or so after a shitty string of the worst rulers, and his heir was like a 1/4/1.

Been poking france in the eye every chance I get. Last war I only got two provinces out of them after a brutal slog, but they were two massive provinces. The Austrian military is definitely no prussia, and I keep forgetting I'm gonna usually lose even fights vs france. Currently have 6 vassals that I'll integrate all at once in a few years. Austrian vassal integration speed is pure nuts. Poland is still a PU, but I've finally hit the governing cap wall with 1700 max(!!), so I'm not integrating just yet. My estates are all lined up pretty nice and most things are repealed, so I'm ready to go ham in the age of absolution. I need to do something about my manpower issues though.

wooop.jpg

Genoa needs to stop being allied to literally everyone.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Started playing as the Timurids, managed to unite the rebelling Khanates and then formed the Mughul Empire. Been best buds with the Ottomans for 100+ years, we fought in 10+ wars together by now.

Started pushing into Southern India, SE Asia, China (fought a few wars against the Shun) and Russia. Annexed that vertical strip of land to build a staging area for my troops to bumrush Russia across entire front at once so I wouldnt have to chase them from Moscow to Kamchatka. Had to do that the first time and it was super annoying but my Otto boys went with me all the way to the Pacific to chase down the remaining Russian armies. Last war was a team effort between Ottos and myself to push the Commonwealth back, thats how I got that bulge in the northwest corner of the Mughul Empire. I was trying to box out Ottos out of Asia and push them towards fighting in Europe and the Med.

Right now I'm making 300-400 ducats per month in pure profit, controlling most of the trade from Persian Gulf to the Malaccas and rotating my ~20 armies to push in every direction around me. Portugal somehow ended up owning the Straits of Hormuz a few years back so I fought them and Castile and took it from them. Next up is Vijarangawhatever by Ceylon, then back up to Shun, then Russia, then back down to the Bengal Bay. Looking real good, will try to make it to the New World by early 1700s. WC is probably out of question, I dont play fast/aggressive enough for that.

1672723741437.png

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
New problem.

Ottomans for some reason decided to guarantee Russian independence so I cant attack Russia anymore without Ottos joining them in the war. Total dick punch for my expansion into Russia because I have no idea how to make Ottos stop guaranteeing Russia. Did some research and it seems like AI does this to "park" territory that they want for later but cant get to right now and sometimes this can last for centuries.

Going to work on SE Asia, China, Commonwealth for now and thinking about expanding down into East Africa before the Ottos do. Will keep watching Ottos until they start a big war with Commonwealth or Aragon and then try to pick Russia off while theyre busy.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
With that much money, why not find your best war against the ottos and merc swarm them down? You should be able to afford to go way over force limit for a long war.