Europa Universalis IV

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ok, mercs and loans worked. Now, how do I convert Sunni territories? Game says the modifier will lead to 0% progress.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Ok, mercs and loans worked. Now, how do I convert Sunni territories? Game says the modifier will lead to 0% progress.
get ideas that improve your religion stuff.

edit: have the same problem...I had to stop playing because basicaly half the province are protestant and the other half are catholic, they keep building doomstacks when they rebel as my country's religion changes fter accepting demands. Happens over and over until I closed that game since it was pretty obivous it was never gonna change and game was bugged :\

Chris

Potato del Grande
Thanks for the Spain info!

I'm playing as Castille and having similar problems, I improved relations with Aragon and allied with Portugal and focused on attacking the Muslims. After a few years there is a historical event which forces Aragon and Castile into a personal union.

The game gives about six of the historical winners a luck buff to nudge the game towards historical accuracy, so that probally goes to whichever spanish major you are not playing as causing them to stomp you?

faille

Molten Core Raider
You can change the luck bonus to be random, though maybe not in ironman mode. I know in EU3 it could be disabled entirely.
I must say that I'm pretty happy with ironman mode. I must admit to many a savegame reload in EU3, so forcing myself to fight through bad stuff has been good.

And yes, have been using the quick build button, but it's still tedious doing it one region at a time and having to keep it when they finish building. Would like to que up certain things to just keep building.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This fucking game...

I was doing so well as Spain. I was about to integrate Aragon into my country and I was pushing into Northern Africa when Portugal decided to attack. Which is fine, they only had two territories left on the Iberian peninsula. But they were friends with France, who showed up by boat with a 30 stack of cavalry and later reinforced that with another 25 stack. I could have maybe taken all that if I had time to prepare beforehand. But France's stack was just running around my country one by one picking off all my stacks as they finished recruitment. Is it even worth playing the conquest route next to France?

niss_sl

shitlord
So make peace with France, give them a territory or 2 and strike back later when you've made an alliance with england +/- Austria or some other power on the other side.

The game isn't meant to be a total pushover where you just crumble 2 territory Portugal-like states.

This fucking game...

I was doing so well as Spain. I was about to integrate Aragon into my country and I was pushing into Northern Africa when Portugal decided to attack. Which is fine, they only had two territories left on the Iberian peninsula. But they were friends with France, who showed up by boat with a 30 stack of cavalry and later reinforced that with another 25 stack. I could have maybe taken all that if I had time to prepare beforehand. But France's stack was just running around my country one by one picking off all my stacks as they finished recruitment. Is it even worth playing the conquest route next to France?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, just part of the learning, I guess. I had fucked up my ideas, waffling between colonization, converting muslims, or improving my military, so I should give it a restart anyway.

How do you decide between spending monarch points on tech instead of ideas?

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah, just part of the learning, I guess. I had fucked up my ideas, waffling between colonization, converting muslims, or improving my military, so I should give it a restart anyway.

How do you decide between spending monarch points on tech instead of ideas?
Ideas stay at a 400 cost, while tech costs rise quickly if you're too far ahead. So I look at the relative costs and gains of ideas versus techs. I think it's a good idea to pick 1 idea from each of the 3 pools (admin, diplo, military) so your ideas don't compete among eachother for monarch points.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Do your techs get cheaper if you fall behind?

Overall scoreboard, how do I get to it? Thing in the upper right says go to the ledger, but I clicked all over the place and can't find it. Thought I was doing ok, but the little widget said I was 14th and I wanted to understand why.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
I basicaly never get ideas now. I think its kinda stupid that technology and ideas use the same metrics to be improved since in almost all cases advancing your technology will be better, especialy for the military ones.

edit: so apparently it can cost more than you can hold (over 999) to get techs if you are ahead of the pack. In those cases I dump into ideas until I can buy the techs again.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
So my latest game, I started out with burgundy and 150 years later I have united germany and am now the HRE emperor ruling over everyone. Not only that but my 3 allies are great britain, sweden and poland who are super powers. I have started the conquest of the new world and hold 31 provinces in it so far. Castille and great britain have a bit more but I'm catching up fairly well after gold raping the natives (this has to be a bug...) ;D

Chris

Potato del Grande
So my latest game, I started out with burgundy and 150 years later I have united germany and am now the HRE emperor ruling over everyone. Not only that but my 3 allies are great britain, sweden and poland who are super powers. I have started the conquest of the new world and hold 31 provinces in it so far. Castille and great britain have a bit more but I'm catching up fairly well after gold raping the natives (this has to be a bug...) ;D
I gold raped them too, well it does kinda match what happened IRL with South America at least.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I basicaly never get ideas now. I think its kinda stupid that technology and ideas use the same metrics to be improved since in almost all cases advancing your technology will be better, especialy for the military ones.

edit: so apparently it can cost more than you can hold (over 999) to get techs if you are ahead of the pack. In those cases I dump into ideas until I can buy the techs again.
Even if you're a non-Western tech group? Ideas are so much more cheaper than teching at that point.

Nxs_sl

shitlord
Apparently they will fix this in a next update by having the natives spend gold on advisors etc. in order to prevent them from getting obscene amounts of gold.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Apparently they will fix this in a next update by having the natives spend gold on advisors etc. in order to prevent them from getting obscene amounts of gold.
good stuff...huron had 5.4k gold for me...... I doubt that is historicaly accurate since huron only had furs and shit.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is there another way to punish a rival besides taking some of their land? Lithuania and Egypt are growing too big in my game, and taking 3-4 of their provinces will be slow going. Is there something similar to scorched earth that you can do to their lands while at war?

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Is there another way to punish a rival besides taking some of their land? Lithuania and Egypt are growing too big in my game, and taking 3-4 of their provinces will be slow going. Is there something similar to scorched earth that you can do to their lands while at war?
When brokering a peace deal, force them to release independant nations or return cores to other nations.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
There's a few things you can do. If you went for the espionage ideas you can hurt their reputation and hopefuly force others to dislike them, you can see who their rivals are and try to broker alliances with them in the hopes of forming a coalition, you can support rebels in their territory to create uprising for an opening to attack them, you can issue embargoes on them if they have a high trade income in your trade nodes to hurt their economy, etc etc..

faille

Molten Core Raider
Forcing religion change is another good one for destabilizing their country, but I normally try and release nations, particular in a way that separates their country so that can't get to any rebals that spring up in one side. Generally the release nations don't like them and don't give them military access.

Be aware that releasing a nation automatically grants them a guarentee from you, which may draw you into an unwanted war, but more importantly, uses up one of your diplomatic slots and potentially cuts into your diplo points. I generally revoke the guarantee after releasing a nation