Europa Universalis IV

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Also, Ive been looking for a good ranked list of monuments but cant find anything that isnt a 30 minute Youtube video, shit's annoying

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Also, Ive been looking for a good ranked list of monuments but cant find anything that isnt a 30 minute Youtube video, shit's annoying
Once you get to the mid 1700s, and fully exploit coal, money will flow in insanely fast in any large country. Coal furnaces are stupidly strong.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
So whats the strategy playing with Teutonic order? What do you do during war time, what do you focus on during peace time? I assume the CB is always Heresy?
I mostly just watched these 2 youtube videos - and Also followed Furry's progress/playthrough posted on here.

At a high level, before Absolutism, you should try to capture 3 gold mines (Bohemia, Hungary, Serbia) as well as capture Dalaskogen. Try to mostly use vassal feeding to grab Catholic land otherwise - I vassal fed Sapmi, Finland, Norway, Novgorod, Bulgaria, Byzantium, Naples, Aragon, Guyenne, Burgundy, Tuscany, and Bohemia throughout the game. If you do end up deciding to mess with the HRE at all, just use force vassalization as a way to slowly expand against that mess of aggressive expansion. I'd recommend avoiding the HRE until after the League War and then dismantle/conquer - if a lot of nations stay protestant, those are great to capture and raze.

When you war Christians, try to never take 100% score in land; instead get war/reps and money each time along with whatever land you want - you need European economy to prop your war machine and you're trying to not get coalitions. All heathen/heretic land, take for yourself and raze - also if you go over 100% OE and have extra diplo slots, feel free to liberally use client states and feed them (post razing) to get under 100%. Great Britain usually goes Anglican, so theyre a fun option for a lot of mana because their provinces are highly developed.

After Absolutism, you can probably just start holding over 100% OE at a time - you only stay in peace to deal with rebels, lower autonomy, and wait out core timers to get below 100% again. Its ok to even go up to 300% OE, so long as half of that or so of that is already midway through their coring time. Also once you get Imperialism, you can be more aggressive with taking Christian/European land in peace deals. Your goal after Absolutism is to be able to war in each subcontinent in the world at the same time and to be at war with multiple nations at once, only peacing out when coring timers allow you to take more land.

Oh, dunno about a tier list, but my top5 Wonders this TO game were: 1) Falun Copper Mine 2) Malta Forts 3) Alhambra 4) Royal Palace of Caserta and 5) Whichever -advisor cost one you can get (Parthenon/Pyramids/Santa Maria del Fiore)

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
There's this crazy Anbennar mod Ive been told to play. One of the autistic and wonderful things imaginable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I mostly just watched these 2 youtube videos - and Also followed Furry's progress/playthrough posted on here.

At a high level, before Absolutism, you should try to capture 3 gold mines (Bohemia, Hungary, Serbia) as well as capture Dalaskogen. Try to mostly use vassal feeding to grab Catholic land otherwise - I vassal fed Sapmi, Finland, Norway, Novgorod, Bulgaria, Byzantium, Naples, Aragon, Guyenne, Burgundy, Tuscany, and Bohemia throughout the game. If you do end up deciding to mess with the HRE at all, just use force vassalization as a way to slowly expand against that mess of aggressive expansion. I'd recommend avoiding the HRE until after the League War and then dismantle/conquer - if a lot of nations stay protestant, those are great to capture and raze.

When you war Christians, try to never take 100% score in land; instead get war/reps and money each time along with whatever land you want - you need European economy to prop your war machine and you're trying to not get coalitions. All heathen/heretic land, take for yourself and raze - also if you go over 100% OE and have extra diplo slots, feel free to liberally use client states and feed them (post razing) to get under 100%. Great Britain usually goes Anglican, so theyre a fun option for a lot of mana because their provinces are highly developed.

After Absolutism, you can probably just start holding over 100% OE at a time - you only stay in peace to deal with rebels, lower autonomy, and wait out core timers to get below 100% again. Its ok to even go up to 300% OE, so long as half of that or so of that is already midway through their coring time. Also once you get Imperialism, you can be more aggressive with taking Christian/European land in peace deals. Your goal after Absolutism is to be able to war in each subcontinent in the world at the same time and to be at war with multiple nations at once, only peacing out when coring timers allow you to take more land.

Oh, dunno about a tier list, but my top5 Wonders this TO game were: 1) Falun Copper Mine 2) Malta Forts 3) Alhambra 4) Royal Palace of Caserta and 5) Whichever -advisor cost one you can get (Parthenon/Pyramids/Santa Maria del Fiore)
Don't watch videos because I like figuring these things out myself and will play through multiple times to do so. Gotta admit I saw those mines many times and was like NO THANKS.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I tried a few starts with Teutonic Order, I knock out the first few missions but still trying to solve the Poland mission. I tried expanding east to build up manpower and force limit to be able to solo Poland a decade later hopefully. Took out Novgorod and grabbed half of Muscovy, but eventually Muscovy overwhelms me with numbers and pushes me back to the Baltics. I even became one of the 8 Great Powers by 1470 in that run.

I tried another run where I tried maxing out currying favors and allying Muscovy to tag team Poland, didnt work either. Couldnt get Muscovy to ally.

I tried same thing with Ottomans, didnt work either.

I always join the HRE to get the HRE protection and try to get Bohemia as an ally. Maybe I should try working on Austria and try allying them before Poland does. Or just reach out to all Polish rivals (Bohemia, Hungary, etc.) and try to ally them, wait for Poland to start a war and then storm it from the north.

Last edited:

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
I allied Hungary early game to use them vs Poland and I think you can use them to help vs Muscovy. All game I had the Pope and Austria as allies. You can also maybe use Sweden vs Muscovy

Once you get past the Muscovy hump, you’re close to snowballing

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I allied Hungary early game to use them vs Poland and I think you can use them to help vs Muscovy. All game I had the Pope and Austria as allies. You can also maybe use Sweden vs Muscovy

Once you get past the Muscovy hump, you’re close to snowballing

Yeah i think thats the play. Ally Hungary, Bohemia and Austria ASAP and then rush Poland as early as possible while it still constantly dealing with mass Lithuanian and Polish noble rebellions. I dont think its possible to do before Poland PU's Lithuania.

BTW, how does the raze mechanic work for the Teutonic Horde? Im assuming its the option on the regiment menu when a unit is in a province? So do you need to have a unit raze a province every time it occupies it?

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
If you have a non cored province that isn’t catholic, it’s a button in the top right of the province window. You don’t need a unit. There isn’t a good map mode for this so I use diplomatic (it shows you all non cores and all provinces that you’re coring) and you’ll have to manually select each provinces to raze

• 1Solidarity

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
My chill work game as Kilwa, I'm starting my conquest of Indonesia after successfully securing all of the southern part of Africa. Now I see my first European colonizer appear way later than I would have expected it in the mid 1500s...
wooop.jpg

Que??? Colonial Scotland? What happened Europe?

Finally get the reveal on Europe.
wooop2.jpg

Apparently scotland trashed England in a war. France is huge... but that Commonwealth is absolutely stomping everyone, and by the looks of things is about to take a huge bite out of the HRE, cause aggressive expansion is just a number. Commonwealth is 88% done integrating Hungary on top of everything else. I don't think I've ever seen such a pathetic looking HRE where I did absolutely nothing to influence Europe.

• 1Worf

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
My chill work game as Kilwa, I'm starting my conquest of Indonesia after successfully securing all of the southern part of Africa. Now I see my first European colonizer appear way later than I would have expected it in the mid 1500s...View attachment 462023

Que??? Colonial Scotland? What happened Europe?

Finally get the reveal on Europe.View attachment 462024

Apparently scotland trashed England in a war. France is huge... but that Commonwealth is absolutely stomping everyone, and by the looks of things is about to take a huge bite out of the HRE, cause aggressive expansion is just a number. Commonwealth is 88% done integrating Hungary on top of everything else. I don't think I've ever seen such a pathetic looking HRE where I did absolutely nothing to influence Europe.

LOL at Scottish Gulf of Guinea.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
LOL at Scottish Gulf of Guinea.
I thought it was just spain at first when I saw the color, I fucking lost it when I zoomed in and hovered over the province. Made me want to make my next more serious at home game as scotland.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I continue to fail at being a Teuton.

This playthrough I nailed all the opening moves, its 1449, my armies are built up to force limit, got max manpower, 200 bucks in the checking account. I'm ready to roll

Secured an alliance with Bohemia, Hungary, Livonian Order and EVEN Moldavia.

Truce just expired with Poland.

BROS, ARE YOU READY TO RIDE?

Only Bohemia answers the call.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I continue to fail at being a Teuton.

This playthrough I nailed all the opening moves, its 1449, my armies are built up to force limit, got max manpower, 200 bucks in the checking account. I'm ready to roll

Secured an alliance with Bohemia, Hungary, Livonian Order and EVEN Moldavia.

Truce just expired with Poland.

BROS, ARE YOU READY TO RIDE?

Only Bohemia answers the call.
I was lucky in my Teuton game, with poland and lithuania deciding to hate each other instead of getting the easy PU, but I was prepared for a total all or nothing war with poland. I would have taken out all the loans, debased the currency, run massive debts and gone way over force limit with mercs if necessary. Your first war with them is inevitable, and you MUST win it. It's extremely worth all the downsides of going all in.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
wooop.jpg

Was hoping to subjugate most of Ireland before France pulled me into the maine war. I fell pretty short. Things went a lot better than expected, though. I kicked britain off my fort in their first attempt to siege, and they left me alone to siege down Northumberland. Raced to siege down as many free provinces as possible. Not gonna push my luck and try for any more than the three provinces this will get me. Now to declare on Tir Eoghain and peace out England.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
wooop.jpg

Lmao, England was immediately called to arms and accepted. I could be cheeky and siege london, but my war exhaustion is killing me and my manpower sucks too. England aint going anywhere anyways. This gets me 500 ducats, more than enough to switch to some mercs and to rebuild my fleet, which all sunk when I was caught off guard by england accepting.

Of course, I'm cut off from Ireland until I build that fleet too....

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I decided to YOLO while heavily outnumbered and declared war on Poland anyways. Bohemia accepted and brought some HRE pals to help much to my surprise. I keep working on currying favors with Hungary and they joined in 18 months later after I got to 10 favors.

Barely saw any resistance as all of Polish forces were up in Denmark, since they started a war with them a few months before I declared my war. A while later some other HRE goons smelled blood in the water and decided to join on the beat down. I grabbed the provinces that I needed, plus a little extra, decided not to push my luck and peace them out with a 60% score.

I got Burghers and other shitheads stirring trouble at home with Prussian Confederation shenanigans, so I need to regroup, make some cash and do a little economic development.

Selected the Crusader path, time to Deus Vult the world

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I decided to YOLO while heavily outnumbered and declared war on Poland anyways. Bohemia accepted and brought some HRE pals to help much to my surprise. I keep working on currying favors with Hungary and they joined in 18 months later after I got to 10 favors.

Barely saw any resistance as all of Polish forces were up in Denmark, since they started a war with them a few months before I declared my war. A while later some other HRE goons smelled blood in the water and decided to join on the beat down. I grabbed the provinces that I needed, plus a little extra, decided not to push my luck and peace them out with a 60% score.
If a country is in a war, it's usually a good time to attack even if they're stronger than you. Sometimes I'll attack a much stronger neighbor with the idea of just grabbing what war score I can really quickly and peacing out when things get dicey.

England is completely collapsing in my game. They usually have problems with rebels in the early game. They had 20something k like a year earlier and looked pretty big. Just checked again and they only have 9k with short reserves now. I don't even know if I'd need mercs to win this because my general is an absolute monster for early game at 2/5/1/2, but I'll probably send them in just to conserve my manpower.

wooop.jpg

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
If a country is in a war, it's usually a good time to attack even if they're stronger than you. Sometimes I'll attack a much stronger neighbor with the idea of just grabbing what war score I can really quickly and peacing out when things get dicey.

England is completely collapsing in my game. They usually have problems with rebels in the early game. They had 20something k like a year earlier and looked pretty big. Just checked again and they only have 9k with short reserves now. I don't even know if I'd need mercs to win this because my general is an absolute monster for early game at 2/5/1/2, but I'll probably send them in just to conserve my manpower.

View attachment 462057

What are your thoughts on ideas for Teutonic Horde?

I saw the list you posted in your playthrough (at least I think did? Maybe it was Z Zajeer ) but would you change anything different?

I'm wondering if any of the military ideas (other than divine group) is even needed, from what I'm reading they get so strong that they don't need quantity or quality ideas

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
For mil, Divine is an absolute must. Quantity is always good, and you are a horde after all, so why not MORE. Other than that, I tend to go for offensive just for the +siege. Admin, humanist are great, Religious is probably a must too just for RP reasons. For dip ideas, whatever floats your boat. Influence is probably what I'd pick first if you're using a lot of vassals.

Look at what combo policies do you get with divine. I know I've been opening Exploration->aristocratic a lot of games just because the policy with them is +33% manpower, which is insane on top of aristos 20% already.