Europa Universalis IV

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
The russian special action of the great push east. They colonize a lot of shitty provinces super fast, which then lets you conquer them them later. It'll take you 10X as long to colonize them, on top of having to take colonizing ideas to even do it. The big thing about Russia is they have virtually no forts with a super large country. It's very easy for a player to get warscore on them and then peace out when they start a war in Asia, even if it is just a very minor victory, so it's rare they present a threat to a player.
Ah, I see where you're coming from now. I knew about their colonizing power but I don't think I intend to make a WC with this game, so I don't need to maximize my gains like that. I did a One Faith run a while back (with the beautiful tag of Asturias) and that was such a slog, so I'm not sure I want to go through that late game slaughter again.

DickTrickle

How do you deal with reformation centers in HRE states? There's one right next to me in Bohemia and it's starting to convert my provinces. Unfortunately, it's not in their capitol, so I can't forge religion on them to erase it, and if I tried to take over their country and turn them into an OPM, the entire HRE will hate me.

Could I give their land to another HRE member and not cause issues for that country (like Austria)?

Edit: Sounds like maybe one super convoluted way to do this is to takeover the country, release a dead nation that has the center, then eventually take it to war and force convert.... what a hassle.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Ottomans finally share a border with me in my chill work Kilwa game. Been expanding and investing heavily into force limit buildings to try and make it so I can balloon my army with mercs and fight on par with them long enough to get out of any war without a big loss. They haven't fabricated any claims yet, so I'm sending keeping relations super positive and hoping they ignore me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

It's about the right time for me to face the Ottomans. I could keep pushing further east but the time is ripe to deal them a serious blow. I have Spain, France, Venice, and Austria as my allies and the Ottomans were marked for Crusade by the Pope. I have to wait (or help) France get out of debt and then they should all join me for the crusade.

1678478437948.png

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Is it worth taking Religious Ideas as Teutonic Horde if you already took Divine Ideas?

Nothing in it interests me except the last idea, the Deus Vult CB.

Is it worth it for that if I plan to storm all the way to Australia, or is it pretty easy to get CBs on non-catholics without doing the whole "do spy shit till 20% then fabricate a claim" thing?

DickTrickle

Is it worth taking Religious Ideas as Teutonic Horde if you already took Divine Ideas?

Is it worth it for that if I plan to storm all the way to Australia, or is it pretty easy to get CBs on non-catholics without doing the whole "do spy shit till 20% then fabricate a claim" thing?
Deus Vult is absolutely wonderful. However, if you become a holy Horde I think your mission tree will basically have claims for enough of Asia that you might have Imperialism by the time you finish the tree? I'm not sure, but I used Deus Vult in a previous campaign and it was entirely worth it.

I'm also not sure if the Holy Horde gets access to a similar CB or not.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

1678480579774.png

Feels so good to start this way... and I started the war when Otto forces were all down south fighting Ethiopia.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Muscovy got high on its own supply and went full retard literally deciding to fight everyone like a drunk at a bar. Ottomans, France, Castile, Portugal, it was swinging at everyone.

I decided to take this opportunity and launch an invasion ASAP even though I had zero manpower reserves.

1678481941279.png

Turned out pretty good. Then 35 years later, here we are... ready to fight the Ottos just like DickTrickle DickTrickle

Diplo annexing those Protestant Livonian Order heathens right now, then will try to form some alliances and see if anyone wants to fight Ottos, otherwise will just keep expanding eastward

When do I get the Holy Horde event?

1678482460999.png

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

I found it to be completely unnecessary. Claims are easy enough to get and your conversion speed is already high, so extra missionaries go to waste. Defender and divine is plenty.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Muscovy got high on its own supply and went full retard literally deciding to fight everyone like a drunk at a bar. Ottomans, France, Castile, Portugal, it was swinging at everyone.

I decided to take this opportunity and launch an invasion ASAP even though I had zero manpower reserves.

View attachment 462623

Turned out pretty good. Then 35 years later, here we are... ready to fight the Ottos just like DickTrickle DickTrickle

Diplo annexing those Protestant Livonian Order heathens right now, then will try to form some alliances and see if anyone wants to fight Ottos, otherwise will just keep expanding eastward

When do I get the Holy Horde event?

View attachment 462626

I don't think you get the Holy Horde government type until you finish the last mission in the bottom of the mission tree (Crusader of the Steppes) so it will still be a bit. But you definitely have claims for days east and south.

Ottos in my game fucked around and found out, as they say:

1678483196735.png

The dipshits were trying to go around the top of Africa to confront me and by the time they had anyone to fight half their country was gone.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I don't think you get the Holy Horde government type until you finish the last mission in the bottom of the mission tree (Crusader of the Steppes) so it will still be a bit. But you definitely have claims for days east and south.

Ottos in my game fucked around and found out, as they say:

View attachment 462627

The dipshits were trying to go around the top of Africa to confront me and by the time they had anyone to fight half their country was gone.

DEUS VULT!!!!

• 1Worf

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
What's the best way to optimize the Falun copper mine Great Monument other than maxing out the monument level?

0 autonomy I'm assuming?
Is there a soft cap on dumping diplo points to boost production? What's a good level?
What buildings should I build there to maximize income?
Anything else I'm missing?

Cc: Z Zajeer
AFAIK no diplo softcap - I put that thing up to 70 total dev by end game just by excess raze mana. Yes, 0 autonomy - expand the infrastructure (that little green + button in the province window) when its available; I think its like 15, 30, 45 dev points, or something like that.

For manufactory, make sure its the +production one for copper - use a state house in a different province in that same state to reduce the gov cap of that state. Also, put a fort that will cover the province - either fort it or an adjacent one, so you can get passive prosperity (at max prosperity, its like -10% dev cost)

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Oh one thing that was asked earlier - sure you could remove the reformation center if you want, however, you could allow Heretic Religions to flourish - after all they are raze-able later. I burned all of Great Britain to the ground after I became a horde

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
If you have a non cored province that isn’t catholic, it’s a button in the top right of the province window. You don’t need a unit. There isn’t a good map mode for this so I use diplomatic (it shows you all non cores and all provinces that you’re coring) and you’ll have to manually select each provinces to raze

Just to make sure I got this right...

Right after you end the war, but before you core anything, go through all the provinces you just annexed (if thy are non catholic) and raze them, then core them?

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Yeah. Core cost scales on dev of the province. Razing removes dev to give you mana. Also, razing allows you to take more than 100% Overextension at a time - because after you raze, your OE goes down by like 10-30%. Say you take 120% in 1 war, after razing the land, it goes down to like 90% because of the now reduced dev

• 1Genius!

DickTrickle

Ugh, it was such a mistake to participate in the Protestant League Wars. It was terribly timing too, just a year and a half before my Otto truce came up and the League War took like seven years.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
D169D4381B4D2A53E903998803624D3480C7C022

So just started the Eat Your Greens achievement - you have to start as a 2PM (Kale) and own every grassland in Asia by like ~1610. The strategy I've watched is you take all of Ava, which allows you to form Shan. Then you try to take all of Tibet to culture switch and become a Horde. Then you conquer in the Indochina region to become Siam, since they have better missions. Anyway, it feels like a race to conquer quickly, and I think I'm doing ok on pace so far (though 0 manpower is a problem)

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Ugh, it was such a mistake to participate in the Protestant League Wars. It was terribly timing too, just a year and a half before my Otto truce came up and the League War took like seven years.
League war is frequently a long slug fest. I’ve had wars go 15+ years just to end in basically a draw cause everyone’s war exhaustion got to high. Big wars in the HRE tend to be annoying at times because of all the conderatti changing hands, and armies that weren’t there at all popping up suddenly, because there’s an overall massive combined manpower pool and many countries downsize their armies out of war.

Pretty happy in my chill work game. My rival Castile and Ottomans broke their alliance, and now the ottomans think I’m the best country ever and happily allied me. Don’t mind if I do. Wasn’t looking forward to fighting the ottomans when they have twice the soldiers and my borders are pretty much Swiss cheese past the first line of forts, and my only allies are pretty weak. Only thing going for me is I would have naval superiority In the Indian Ocean and pacific with my 100+ lights and about 10 heavies. Probably about time for me to go to raise my main fleet to a full width of heavies since it is 1602.

• 1Like