Europa Universalis IV

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Figured out why Spain and ottomans alliance broke, Austria got PU’d by Spain lol, so Austria isn’t even in the HRE anymore despite making up almost half of its territory. This is the most cursed HRE. Even Denmark is starting to invade them. HRE will probably be completely absorbed by 1700 by just the AI.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
League war is frequently a long slug fest. I’ve had wars go 15+ years just to end in basically a draw cause everyone’s war exhaustion got to high. Big wars in the HRE tend to be annoying at times because of all the conderatti changing hands, and armies that weren’t there at all popping up suddenly, because there’s an overall massive combined manpower pool and many countries downsize their armies out of war.

Pretty happy in my chill work game. My rival Castile and Ottomans broke their alliance, and now the ottomans think I’m the best country ever and happily allied me. Don’t mind if I do. Wasn’t looking forward to fighting the ottomans when they have twice the soldiers and my borders are pretty much Swiss cheese past the first line of forts, and my only allies are pretty weak. Only thing going for me is I would have naval superiority In the Indian Ocean and pacific with my 100+ lights and about 10 heavies. Probably about time for me to go to raise my main fleet to a full width of heavies since it is 1602.
Fortunately my side won but I had to help out to ensure it. That combined with some of my allies being in the fight meant no extra wars for me.

I'm actually thinking of an African game for my next playthrough and was wondering why you chose Kilwa above other African choices? I haven't played since they expanded the African countries.

On an unrelated side note, I took on 160% overextension after another round of Otto fighting and it really wasn't that bad at all. Most of my rebels stayed in the Ottoman area and I managed to get to half of them before they took over a province. The separatism on the remaining isn't great but it's not that big a deal. Much less worrisome than I thought it would be.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Fortunately my side won but I had to help out to ensure it. That combined with some of my allies being in the fight meant no extra wars for me.

I'm actually thinking of an African game for my next playthrough and was wondering why you chose Kilwa above other African choices? I haven't played since they expanded the African countries.

On an unrelated side note, I took on 160% overextension after another round of Otto fighting and it really wasn't that bad at all. Most of my rebels stayed in the Ottoman area and I managed to get to half of them before they took over a province. The separatism on the remaining isn't great but it's not that big a deal. Much less worrisome than I thought it would be.
I chose Kilwa because I wanted a colonial game where I lock Europe out of SE pacific until they come through the Americas. I’m playing on my steam deck and the screen is a little small. Mostly just trying new stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
I did a playthrough with Ethiopia about a year ago - theyve got a great starting position and a deep mission tree

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
The year is 1604 and I finally have enough troops to take on the Ottomans.

Quantity ideas worked out great, I got more manpower than I know what to do with. Once I finish the current Muscovy War its straight next to the Ottomans and the Pontic Steppes to complete more of the mission tree.

1678644916879.png

I feel like I should be much farther along (probably by Urals and Persia now) but I have been playing it much safely since the Coalition stuff spooked me when I was manpower starved before Quantity Ideas. I

think I am big enough now that its no longer a concern. I have the 2nd biggest army in the world, making 30-50 ducats a month in net profit. And after I curbstomp these Otto heretics, will be #1

1678645513964.png

DickTrickle

The year is 1604 and I finally have enough troops to take on the Ottomans.

Quantity ideas worked out great, I got more manpower than I know what to do with. Once I finish the current Muscovy War its straight next to the Ottomans and the Pontic Steppes to complete more of the mission tree.

View attachment 463048

I feel like I should be much farther along (probably by Urals and Persia now) but I have been playing it much safely since the Coalition stuff spooked me when I was manpower starved before Quantity Ideas. I

think I am big enough now that its no longer a concern. I have the 2nd biggest army in the world, making 30-50 ducats a month in net profit. And after I curbstomp these Otto heretics, will be #1

View attachment 463050
If it's not on your mind, you should be preparing for absolutism and how to max it out if you really want to maximize your conquests.

I used this as a refresher: Absolutism – EU4 Guides.

DickTrickle

Officially a Holy Horde finally (probably could have gotten there a lot faster, but got a bit too focused on good land versus getting the missions done ASAP, meh). I do wish I had done it before I chose my previous Idea group, though.

Ready to really rape and village now!

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Officially a Holy Horde finally (probably could have gotten there a lot faster, but got a bit too focused on good land versus getting the missions done ASAP, meh). I do wish I had done it before I chose my previous Idea group, though.

Ready to really rape and village now!
Nice congrats! Economic + Horde policy gives +33% raze power, which seems so strong. With enough CCR / admin efficiency you can conquer land and get back more admin mana than it costs to core.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Nice congrats! Economic + Horde policy gives +33% raze power, which seems so strong. With enough CCR / admin efficiency you can conquer land and get back more admin mana than it costs to core.

Should I have gotten Economic? I went with Trade since I'm familiar enough with Trade mechanics to make good money from it.

DickTrickle

I literally never paid attention to absolutism. I think I am going to start now. I'm like at 35 in 1630
It's a big difference maker in how much land you can get and keep since it directly increases your administrative efficiency.

You don't *need* to do court and country to get capped at 100, but if you do you can increase your overcap so you can then take a few estates (or get rid of the +15 reform) and still be at 100. The event is annoying but not that bad -- I actually was doing easy wars after the first three years of the event. And remember you can delay events by two months by not making a choice if you need to move armies or do something else.

I've been thinking of changing my Divine Cause reform to Pursuit of Knowledge. Army morale and shock is so powerful but being able to see ruler stats when you get six choices is pretty damn strong. I didn't realize it had that effect originally and I've had two horrible rulers in a row. Though, now with razing available it's not quite as useful.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Should I have gotten Economic? I went with Trade since I'm familiar enough with Trade mechanics to make good money from it.

Economic + Divine = 5% CCR and -5 years of Separatism (big). Economic + Horde = 33% more raze power, so basically free mana. Trade + Divine is decent at least, with 15% improve relations and 15% production; however Trade + Horde is trash

I'd say get economic over trade

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I've been thinking of changing my Divine Cause reform to Pursuit of Knowledge. Army morale and shock is so powerful but being able to see ruler stats when you get six choices is pretty damn strong. I didn't realize it had that effect originally and I've had two horrible rulers in a row. Though, now with razing available it's not quite as useful.

I had a string of 4-7 point rulers which sucked, now I consistently get 12-15 point rulers after turning that on. Huge game changer.

• 1Solidarity

DickTrickle

Wow, just had something super stupid happen in my game. I wiped out Delhi with my ally Janupar (or however it was spelled) and things are looking great. I even give them some provinces with level 6 forts and figure they'll be my go to ally in Asia.

I wait a couple months and see those fuckwads formed Delhi and it breaks my Alliance and gets all the negative relations from the old Delhi country. WTF.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Wow, just had something super stupid happen in my game. I wiped out Delhi with my ally Janupar (or however it was spelled) and things are looking great. I even give them some provinces with level 6 forts and figure they'll be my go to ally in Asia.

I wait a couple months and see those fuckwads formed Delhi and it breaks my Alliance and gets all the negative relations from the old Delhi country. WTF.
So Excited Dancing GIF

• 1Worf

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

Economic + Divine = 5% CCR and -5 years of Separatism (big). Economic + Horde = 33% more raze power, so basically free mana. Trade + Divine is decent at least, with 15% improve relations and 15% production; however Trade + Horde is trash

I'd say get economic over trade

Fuck.

There is so much shit going on at every level!

• 1Solidarity

DickTrickle

Doing peace deals is so tricky with vassals and razing available. It's hard to accurately gauge what my true overextension will be when I make the peace deal. I don't give to my vassals in the peace deal because it costs way too much war score for them to directly take it so I grant it after. Then I'm never quite sure how much razing will take off the top and that gets even trickier since the amount you can raze goes down as you advance in tech. This is one of the few times I've missed not being in Ironman.