European Super League

Slithum

Nil Satis, Nisi Optimum
Competition Key Info:

• ENG: Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal
  • ESP: Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid
  • ITA: Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan
  • PSG have reportedly declined invitations to the competition.
  • The competition is expected to be expanded to 20 clubs total, with 15 permanent members and 5 qualifying members. The qualification criteria are not yet clear.
  • The competition format is expected to be two groups of 10 which play each other twice each, once home and once away. Upon the completion of the groups the top three in each table go into a standard knockout format, with the fourth and fifth ranked teams in each division playing a two-legged head-to-head match to decide the last two quarter final slots. Standard two leg knockouts and a single leg final determine the winner. The format is expected to be classic 1st v 8th; 2nd v 7th etc to reward strong group performances. How the groups are seeded is not yet known.
  • Joining the ESL is expected to be worth £310 million, compared to £100 million for qualifying for the UCL.
  • ESL participants will have an additional £3.5 billion pool to share among them to improve infrastructure, possibly meaning a further £233m for founder clubs.
  • Matches would take place in midweek, with the exception of the final. Clubs would still intend to play in their domestic leagues. Despite this, there are threats of bans from other competitions for ESL Participants.

JOINT STATEMENT FROM UEFA, THE FA, PREMIER LEAGUE, RFEF, LALIGA, FIGC, LEGA SERIE A

UEFA, the English Football Association and the Premier League, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) and LaLiga, and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and Lega Serie A have learned that a few English, Spanish and Italian clubs may be planning to announce their creation of a closed, so-called Super League. If this were to happen, we wish to reiterate that we — UEFA, the English FA, RFEF, FIGC, the Premier League, LaLiga, Lega SerieA but also FIFA and all our member associations - will remain united in our efforts to stop this cynical project, a project that is founded on the self-interest of a few clubs at a time when society needs solidarity more than ever. We will consider all measures available to us, at all levels, both judicial and sporting in order to prevent this happening. Football is based on open competitions and sporting merit; it cannot be any other way. As previously announced by FIFA and the six Federations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams. We thank those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up to this. We call on all lovers of football, supporters and politicians, to join us in fighting against such a project if it were to be announced. This persistent self-interest of a few has been going on for too long. Enough is enough.

Other Information:
  • Florentino Perez to be Chairman
  • Henry, Glazer, Kroenke and Agnelli to be vice-chairmen
  • Supposedly there is a £4.6bn financing deal from JP Morgan to fund the change
  • BBC Sport: "Stan Kroenke was eager for the Super League to go through. He was Perez's best 'mate' in this. Kroenke sees Super League as the way to make Arsenal "the biggest team in the world"."
  • The UK Government has released a statement on the proposed ESL
  • UEFA are supposedly preparing a €60 billion lawsuit against the ESL founders
  • A Women's equivalent of the competition will be founded also
  • Arsenal and the other 11 founding clubs have left the ECA
  • UK Government considering drawing up punitive legislation for ESL Clubs
  • ESL Clubs in current European competition, including Arsenal, are likely to be expelled with immediate effect.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
They can try. But if they get the right broadcasting contracts and can pay as much or more than the leagues the teams are leaving, it won’t matter.

I don't think the teams involved have the connections to make this happen.

FIFA is known for bribing people and accepting bribes. Too much money involved to make it a fair contest.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Fuck this shit. Aimed for the rich.
I know Liverpool fans will fight this till the end.
The others, like man city, arsenal or the Italian clubs, won't do shit.

• 2Moron
Reactions: 1 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm surprised at the outrage. The more people that spit in the faces of FIFA the better.

• 1Like

ohkcrlho

Just read what Florentino said yesterday, he said it's about saving football lol
No no you asshole, it's saving your ass, yours and barça and juventus mainly.
because you spend hundreds of millions per year, currently doing a 700M renovation on Santiago Bernabeu and Santander is looking at that debt growing and growing more like a burden.

UEFA? FIFA? Corrupt as fuck. They have all the blame because they danced at these club's tune for years, making more and more unfair the European competitions and of course, these greedy bastards want more.
But this shit? Hell no. I hope these clubs get banned forever.

Till now, managers, players said they don't agree with this, almost all. Media saying the same.
Supporters already being loud.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Fuck this shit. Aimed for the rich.
I know Liverpool fans will fight this till the end.
The others, like man city, arsenal or the Italian clubs, won't do shit.
Except for the fact that both City and Chelsea have withdrawn from the super-league before Liverpool. Liverpool and Manchester United are both the leaders of the split here. So unfortunately what you wrote just isn't very true at all.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Except for the fact that both City and Chelsea have withdrawn from the super-league before Liverpool. Liverpool and Manchester United are both the leaders of the split here. So unfortunately what you wrote just isn't very true at all.

He was referring to "Liverpool" fans, try reading

• 1Faggotry

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
That didn't go far. I expected a bit more.

Chelsea, City, Barcelona and Atletico have withdrawn.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
He was referring to "Liverpool" fans, try reading
No shit and if he had looked at anything related to other clubs, he would see that almost every clubs supporters are against any super league.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
No shit and if he had looked at anything related to other clubs, he would see that almost every clubs supporters are against any super league.

I think most hardcore supporters loathe fifa, but if they have to pick between fifa and no competition, fifa it is.

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
I think most hardcore supporters loathe fifa, but if they have to pick between fifa and no competition, fifa it is.
I totally agree with you, take Qatar as an easy example. Huge human rights violations going on there to build stadiums for a corrupt as fuck bid for the W/C. The super league removes the best parts of the English football pyramid which is the worlds best league structure. I hope in 40 years we'll have pro/rel here in the MLS.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
"I know Liverpool fans will fight this till the end.
The others, like man city, arsenal or the Italian clubs, won't do shit."

"Except for the fact that both City and Chelsea have withdrawn from the super-league before Liverpool. Liverpool and Manchester United are both the leaders of the split here. So unfortunately what you wrote just isn't very true at all."

He said "Liverpool fans will fight this..........The others, won't do shit". Now you could make the argument that his statement is ambiguous whether he meant "fans of other clubs" or other clubs".

But regardless, to claim his statement re Liverpool fans isn't true because LFC are leading the split is absurd, or because other clubs have withdrawn are both absurd.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
"I know Liverpool fans will fight this till the end.
The others, like man city, arsenal or the Italian clubs, won't do shit."

"Except for the fact that both City and Chelsea have withdrawn from the super-league before Liverpool. Liverpool and Manchester United are both the leaders of the split here. So unfortunately what you wrote just isn't very true at all."

He said "Liverpool fans will fight this..........The others, won't do shit". Now you could make the argument that his statement is ambiguous whether he meant "fans of other clubs" or other clubs".

But regardless, to claim his statement re Liverpool fans isn't true because LFC are leading the split is absurd, or because other clubs have withdrawn are both absurd.

I don't know, sure looks like both other clubs and other clubs' fans did shit, so the claim they wouldn't do any shit seems not true.

• 1Truth!

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm surprised at the outrage. The more people that spit in the faces of FIFA the better.
The English Football League is a meritocratic structure with 1000+ teams.

In theory your shitty local villiage team can win every game in a year to win the FA Cup and play in the Europa League, then win that and play in the Champions League the year after and win that.

Or they can win a high percentage of their games 10 years in a row and be in the Premier League.

Obviously that doesn't happen but there is the occasional upset with a shitty low division team beating a top team. Most likely you get a low tier Premiership team winning the Premiership (Leicester) or FA Cup (Wigan Athletic) on a run of good form.

I don't know if other countries have that, or have something that extensive. I don't think the US does and it's American owners helping to drive this.

So this is why it's the English football fan that destroyed this. Every fan group, every commentator, everyone up to and including the Prime Minister and Prince William/Harry spoke out against it for this reason.

The top teams also change every decade or two, with some absolute dogshit teams having extensive histories of domestic and European success. I don't know the history of European leagues but there seems to be a lot of single team dominance.

This is why the league was suggested, fading English teams like Manchester United and Arsenal want to stay relevent with a permanant place in a league, boring uncompetitive European leagues can't draw enough viewers domestically for their big teams.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ohkcrlho

The only good thing about this mess...rumors that FSG and Glazers want to get out from Liverpool and Man Utd respectively.
Arsenal fans still want Kroenke out.

About what I said, I thought only Liverpool fans were going to fight..i was wrong, thank God
Chelsea fans showed they aren't dead.

• 1Like