EVE Online

Krueger

Molten Core Raider
CCP is building a monument to EVE players in Reykjavik. It's going to have all main characters' names etched onto it as well.

http://eve.com/monument

rrr_img_59315.jpg

Runbad_sl

shitlord
I forgot to mention within a few hours of trying the trial, I had a PM from a GM asking me if I had any questions, and had a conversation about what interested me. Been a while since I've seen customer service on that level.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
If PL had 9 people in it's holding corp, and couldn't find 9 people that it trusted explicitly, it shouldn't have had 9 people in there. It's not the CFC's fault.
When there's doubt, there is no doubt.

When stuff happens at critical moments with critical assets, it's quite fundamentally unbelievable that it was a misshap.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Eve online is okey when you start out and the game is new, then after a while you realize that some of the stuff you wanna do you cant for the Next 3-6months due to the shitty and hopelessly outdated skillpointsystem
To be fair, anything locked away behind 3+ months of training is not something a new player will have the game knowledge or background to do. You make it sound like (to use WoW terms), Player 1 wants to change zones to exp just to try something new. It isn't that simple. A newb can pick up basic tackler kit in a day or two, then come up with a short-term goal (frig logi, brawler, drones) to occupy himself over the next week or two. By the time our newb is prepared to draw up his 3 month plan, he isn't going to feel cockblocked by the training because he'll already have something else to do. If he DOESN'T have something else to do, then he's already quit because sitting in a station for 3 months while you train [what the fuck ever] isn't sustainable game play, and heaven forbid he actually tries to do anything worthwhile in [what the fuck ever] because without those 3 months of flying experience, it isn't going to work.

Arguing against the skill system is the same as a LoL player arguing against the 1-30 grind. There is a reason why newbs in Eve are kept away from the harder stuff -- just like in LoL, a fresh player has to learn 100 champs and their skill combos before they're even remotely capable of brawling in level 30 game... in Eve, a new player has to recognize every ship and know their probable fittings and likely threat. This isn't like a different MMO where you memorize 10 classes.

The game HAS somewhat of a natural progression, but the Tutorials don't make it clear. Not like joining a decent corp as a tackler is something a tutorial can teach anyway... I read something from CCP about how 97 percent of new players that join Eve-University subscribe. That's awesome. Other dev teams should have had a light bulb pop up reading that.

Poin Dexter_sl

shitlord
So, out of all the MMO's I have played over the years, EVE has been the one I want to play, but for some reason I never can quite get into it. I feel like I am unfocused to a ridiculous degree and have no idea what to train. I try to get focused on skill training and the first thing that happens is my brain goes "SQUIRREL!" and I have lost it.

I keep using the same character I started years ago, 24m sp pilot now, but have the working knowledge to do missions and that's about it. People either think I am a veteran of the game (I am not) and have no patience with me, or they think I am some kind of super spy (also not). Incursions were fun...

If any of you eve veterans want to point me in the right direction, here is my character.

http://eveboard.com/pilot/Prophet's_Voice

Any thoughts ideas or recommendations?

Arakkis

N00b
So, out of all the MMO's I have played over the years, EVE has been the one I want to play, but for some reason I never can quite get into it. I feel like I am unfocused to a ridiculous degree and have no idea what to train. I try to get focused on skill training and the first thing that happens is my brain goes "SQUIRREL!" and I have lost it.

I keep using the same character I started years ago, 24m sp pilot now, but have the working knowledge to do missions and that's about it. People either think I am a veteran of the game (I am not) and have no patience with me, or they think I am some kind of super spy (also not). Incursions were fun...

If any of you eve veterans want to point me in the right direction, here is my character.

It looks like you could fly a decent Raptor right now if you wanted to do PvP. Interceptors are the bees' knees right now due to bubble immunity. Finish off some of the basics like Engineering V and Science V and then from that point I don't know. You are like 1/3 the way up almost every tree you can climb except industry.

Bellicose_sl

shitlord
To be fair, anything locked away behind 3+ months of training is not something a new player will have the game knowledge or background to do. You make it sound like (to use WoW terms), Player 1 wants to change zones to exp just to try something new. It isn't that simple. A newb can pick up basic tackler kit in a day or two, then come up with a short-term goal (frig logi, brawler, drones) to occupy himself over the next week or two. By the time our newb is prepared to draw up his 3 month plan, he isn't going to feel cockblocked by the training because he'll already have something else to do. If he DOESN'T have something else to do, then he's already quit because sitting in a station for 3 months while you train [what the fuck ever] isn't sustainable game play, and heaven forbid he actually tries to do anything worthwhile in [what the fuck ever] because without those 3 months of flying experience, it isn't going to work.

Arguing against the skill system is the same as a LoL player arguing against the 1-30 grind. There is a reason why newbs in Eve are kept away from the harder stuff -- just like in LoL, a fresh player has to learn 100 champs and their skill combos before they're even remotely capable of brawling in level 30 game... in Eve, a new player has to recognize every ship and know their probable fittings and likely threat. This isn't like a different MMO where you memorize 10 classes.

The game HAS somewhat of a natural progression, but the Tutorials don't make it clear. Not like joining a decent corp as a tackler is something a tutorial can teach anyway... I read something from CCP about how 97 percent of new players that join Eve-University subscribe. That's awesome. Other dev teams should have had a light bulb pop up reading that.
Skillsystem seemed like a good idea in 03 when we started playing eve but now 10 1/2 year later? iam not saying that you should be able to jump into and pilot a carrier at day one but some of the the train times are just ridiculously long. only 2 things they as I recall they have changed to skillsystem since 03 was removing the training skills and removed "on use" skill gains

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
haha, I'm in the same situation. 40m SP, only pvp i've seen was getting ganked once in 2007 or something like that (I think I've actually played for 3-4 months, everything else was afk training over the years).

eveboard - Hali Ekel

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
haha, I'm in the same situation. 40m SP, only pvp i've seen was getting ganked once in 2007 or something like that (I think I've actually played for 3-4 months, everything else was afk training over the years).

eveboard - Hali Ekel
I get PvP chances daily. Plenty of people coming to our area to get their anuses violated. Don't even have to go roaming or to other areas. People come to us. Nullbearing till reds come visit, then you change ships and pwn.

rrr_img_59590.png

That was I think the night when a couple of ceptor fleets came visiting and got mauled.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider

Try out faction warfare, I was doing that for a while recently, and I could have a good solo or 1v2 frigate/cruiser fight within minutes usually. Be prepared to lose a ton of ships until you learn the ropes and can stay calm during a fight though.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just resubbed, I was wondering if it viable to put a Combat Scanner on a Frigate (Caldari) and scan down miners/faction warfare or whatever to kill?

It seems more difficult than other games to find some good info on what is good.

Noshitdude

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just resubbed, I was wondering if it viable to put a Combat Scanner on a Frigate (Caldari) and scan down miners/faction warfare or whatever to kill?

It seems more difficult than other games to find some good info on what is good.
Not sure what you mean exactly, but it is almost impossible to fit an expanded probe launcher on a combat frigate due to CPU requirement. But you can still fit with relative ease, and without gimping your fitting, a core probe launcher (20 cpu req for tech II) : you can't scan down the ship itself, but you'll scan down the anomaly the ship is in. As long as you can get a good sensor strenght, it is easy and fast.
As for factional warfare complexes, you don't need any probe launcher, just use the directional scanner.
Killboards provide the best informations about fittings, when you know what you are looking for.
Download Eve Fitting Tool (EVE Fitting Tool (Out of Game Tools) - EVElopedia) and toy around with fittings.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider

Kinda useless to use scanner to "scan down miners" since Mining anoms (Clusters) are freely visible and accessible to everyone in the system.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just trying to think of a way to make it less tedious to search every plex, belt and anomaly. I also have max scanning skills and wouldn't mind putting them to use on something other than rolling the dice on hacking in nullsec.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Just trying to think of a way to make it less tedious to search every plex, belt and anomaly. I also have max scanning skills and wouldn't mind putting them to use on something other than rolling the dice on hacking in nullsec.
If what you're trying to do is sneak up on people PVEing, then may I suggest using a stealth bomber to hunt people doing nullsec exploration? I lost my first cheetah to an SB. I'm risk adverse (especially with a 500+mil cargo), so I stopped running sites with people in local. However, a clever SB could scan out all the Relic sites in an area and bookmark them all. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most explorers probably continue to hack but with caution when people enter system since they're expecting to see probes as their last chance to get out. If you already have the BM for the site hes in, then hes fucked. You will warp in and engage at 2km as he hacks a can.