Ever work at a position where you do absolutely nothing?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm waiting for management to figure it out and fire me...
I will be busy for a couple of months and then dead for like 4. I keep expecting the hammer to drop but it never does... caught up on a lot of tv though

Jobitz_sl

shitlord
I had a job at the local grocery store, working in the produce section, when I was 17. I did nothing for about 3/4 of my shift and it drove me mad. I need to be constantly doing something otherwise I will go insane. Quit there after 8 months when I found a better job where I was busy all of the time. I was told that I should have stayed since the job was so easy but I just cannot clock in, sit around for 6-10 hours a day and watch the paint dry and go home feeling like I accomplished something. Plus the pay kind of sucked.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I did that at my current job for a minute until I realized holy fuck, I can't sit around and do nothing. Now I use it to my advantage. Doing the college thing, working out, broadening skills, learning about security-related IT shit, etc. So at least if I can do another 2 years here I will come away from it a beast.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I basically do homework at work. It'd be great if we had a fucking gym here, I'd be in there all day.

Scarhand

Trakanon Raider
I once spent a year doing temp work. One of the temp jobs involved going around to convenience stores, checking the displays of gatorade and making sure they were neat and tidy, etc. When the contract started I was pretty much told to log reasonable hours in the 30-40 range and otherwise stay home and do whatever. I'm guessing the people I was contracting for were just pocketing the difference in what they billed Pepsi for the work. Iwas in part amused (because they guys I was working for were these tea-party, religious right pastors of a small congregation) and horrified that I was actively defrauding people. I was stuck in the worst spot of my life financially though so i bit the bullet and played a lot of EQ. I should have stuck with that temp job longer i guess but I felt too bad about it.

I currently own a small business and when it's busy (like now really, but it probably won't really pick up til this afternoon) I don't have any time at all but there's still plenty of downtime when I don't have customers. The only bad part of downtime when you own a business is that you know you're not getting paid
smile.png

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
When I was in high school I worked at an outdoor concert venue in the summer. My entire job was to stand in the Papa Johns tent and...actually, I was never clear on exactly what I was supposed to do. I just stood there and watched the Papa Johns employees sell pizza, but I was never asked to help because I worked for the venue and not for Papa Johns.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I basically do homework at work. It'd be great if we had a fucking gym here, I'd be in there all day.
I used to use the time to write our weekly tabletop sessions when I ran RPGs for my buddies. That stopped about a year ago, so now I end up chatting during downtime or building magic decks.

It's nice to have a job that lets me be a huge nerd.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am the IT department of a very small k12 school corp. I'm the only guy. When I first came on board they were woefully behind tech-wise, and I busted my ass getting them into the 21st century. Now that everything is in, along with all the management pieces (remote assistance, desktop management etc), I'm able to remotely and automatically do in 15 minutes what the schleb before me did via sneaker-net and a usb stick in a week. So now that I have the keys to the kingdom I have my IP address opened enough that I can browse gaming forums and play wow, but be able to drop what I'm doing to fix the next crisis, which is usually someone accidentally hitting their ctrl+alt and arrow keys and screwing up their screen

Tol_sl

shitlord
I had a job where I was working 80 hours a week and like 90% of the time I just read, slept and played videogames. What really, truly baffled me though? Every fucking time I got on shift, my co-workers had unfinished work because they were 'too busy.' Swear to god it took me 4 hours tops to do all of my upkeep stuff plus theirs, so I can only imagine these dudes got on shift and then passed out for 3 days straight or something.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I love the amount of IT guys in here. I'm also in IT. I used to keep a sleeping bag and pillow in my trunk, and on slow days I would take off like I needed to go check equipment or respond to a call, and would just go park my car somewhere, climb in the back seat, fold my seat down, unroll sleeping bag, and sleep for a couple hours. Being in AZ, I could only really do this for a few months of the year when it was cold.

Now I have my own office, so I just keep a sleeping bag/japanese mat rolled up under my desk. If anyone asks, I occasionally end up spending the night at work, which is true, mostly. Most of the time any more, my slacking off is just Netflix/web browsing.

redruM_sl

shitlord
IT As well, end user tech support for over 10,000 devices.
Night shift
20+/hr payrate

I do maybe 20 minutes total of work every shift, which is typically just a re-image (they don't even want us to troubleshoot anymore) its a 2-step
1) Run dell diag from boot up
2) Re-image

Working towards the major 3 comptia certs (A/net/sec+++) then figure out things from there.

A lot of IT jobs here......as my friend told me "IT support doesn't work 99% of the time however, that 1% they are considered God's"
If he didn't make that up, then he found that quote somewhere
tongue.png

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am the IT department of a very small k12 school corp. I'm the only guy. When I first came on board they were woefully behind tech-wise, and I busted my ass getting them into the 21st century. Now that everything is in, along with all the management pieces (remote assistance, desktop management etc), I'm able to remotely and automatically do in 15 minutes what the schleb before me did via sneaker-net and a usb stick in a week. So now that I have the keys to the kingdom I have my IP address opened enough that I can browse gaming forums and play wow, but be able to drop what I'm doing to fix the next crisis, which is usually someone accidentally hitting theirctrl+alt and arrow keys and screwing up their screen
So thats how they do it, being the youngest guy in my office they think I'm a computer guru because I can do things like copy/paste. A few times I've had to fix someone's screen flipped upside down and I've always wondered how they do it. I would go in manually and fix, I didn't know about the keyboard shortcut, thanks! Now they will think I am 10x the genius.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I'm wondering how you manually changed it. The first time I saw this was at a k12 school myself, where all of the sudden my tickets blew up with "my screen is upside down!" and "I can't work with my everything sideways on my computer....".

I went to the school, sat at the first computer and went "Uhhh what?". Googled "computer screen upsidedown sideways", and the first result was the shortcuts.

How else do you fix it?

(Also, watch the entire Joe Schmo Show with the other IT guy yesterday, we clocked out almost 2 hours late to finish it! I love my job.)

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Manual, you know, flip the monitor 180 degrees.

Psyche!
Right click -> grapics options -> rotation or something like that, its a pain to do because with the screen inverted it makes the mouse seem inverted as well.