Evercraft Online - Minecraft meets Everquest

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Spotted this on MMOByte's news:

You can even recognize the bits of Everquest zones in there. The only place this was ever posted appears to be in the middle of Pantheon's gif streams, so it probably deserves a real thread. Even if it remains quiet for most of its existence.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Spotted this on MMOByte's news:

You can even recognize the bits of Everquest zones in there. The only place this was ever posted appears to be in the middle of Pantheon's gif streams, so it probably deserves a real thread. Even if it remains quiet for most of its existence.
The most important part:

I have no plans to do any type of crowd-funding while the game is in development.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
EverCraft Online is in active early (pre-alpha) development.
Join us in this adventure and have a say in how the game is created!

So it's already ahead of Pantheon?

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The bad-on-purpose graphics actually works pretty well when going for something nostalgic like this.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Fedsmoker

Lord Nagafen Raider
Did a play test of it a while back. Wildly fun for what it is. Excited for its full release down the road.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

EnigmaFactory

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Hey FoH fam. We have an open test tomorrow 9/1. Hope you'll come check it out.

• 7Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Hey FoH fam. We have an open test tomorrow 9/1. Hope you'll come check it out.

Sorry I only alpha test after I've paid $500 for a Kickstarter package that includes a collectors edition I'll never get and a sick forum badge demonstrating I was too poor to afford the $5,000 package.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
wow a 2023 remake of EQ that looks graphically worse than the 1999 original, still better than retail wow though so will check it out!

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

EnigmaFactory

wow a 2023 remake of EQ that looks graphically worse than the 1999 original, still better than retail wow though so will check it out!
the dude your opinion GIF

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

EnigmaFactory

Sorry I only alpha test after I've paid $500 for a Kickstarter package that includes a collectors edition I'll never get and a sick forum badge demonstrating I was too poor to afford the $5,000 package.

Super fair! I'll let you know when you can snag some $ECOBux on Coinbase!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ok so here's my feedback. I'm ignoring some stuff that is basically just bugs or unfinished.

The good:
Gfx, engine, general concept, world, theming, music

The bad:
Some EQ nostalgia design decisions (Full inv and eqp loot on death, complete lack of tooltips or game engine transparency, ridiculous starting inventory size are personal examples), lack of compass or any direction finding or dead reckoning that I could find, how vertical movement works (Minecraft layer pop, swimming)

The ugly:
UI/UX is really bad and needs a lot of work. It's exhausting trying to play the game.

and of course

"Body Type"

Because it isn't 2023 if you don't know how biology works.

rolling-eyes.gif

Overall, it's enjoyable but I think you can evoke the spirit of an old school MMO with concepts like punishment for death, skills that level on use, no encyclopedia or exclamation points, etc. without making it unapproachably "old". Some of the design decisions here are just copy EQ #nochanges but it's been 25 years. I want a restomod classic car, not an actual classic car.

I also worry about the success of a group focused game that's closely aligned with a core group of older players that don't have the same amount of time to just idle in tunnels or cities or whatever.

A game to watch to see where it goes.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
One thing I really love is the progress bars on skills. Getting little partial skillups etc. Instead of just 1 in 50 chance and if you are unlucky you get nothing for days.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
One thing I really love is the progress bars on skills. Getting little partial skillups etc. Instead of just 1 in 50 chance and if you are unlucky you get nothing for days.
Booo hiss #nochanges, you shouldn't have any clue what's going on until magically you get gifted a skill point!