Everquest 3 - 2028?

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Which gifs shall it be?

Unlike pantheon, this game is totally going to launch, so, launching and taking off and etc gifs.

5cd05dfb1435cfc8dea491f182e3c806.gif

Alternatively, since this game IS going to rock, we could do rock gifs?

rocks-fail.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
This isn’t an announcement. This is an announcement that one day there may be an announcement. Carry on folks

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Were they ever even able to license the voxel tech out to any other companies, or was EQNext just a complete waste?

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Were they ever even able to license the voxel tech out to any other companies, or was EQNext just a complete waste?

Everything was a wash wasn't it? Well not entirely, they had people fund their exploration into voxel with fake promises like Star Citizen.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I heard on good authority that Vanguard will come out before EQ3.

Or I could just be lion about it.

eqnext_rrr_img_128295-660x371.jpg

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
and then actual enthusiasts (shockingly, who are next to none of the people in charge of it) make this kind of stuff

00084-3429743528.png

Praise Father Erud

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Ya know, it's entirely possible that some time soon AI is gonna be able to generate so much stuff that actual developers are going to have to do significantly less work. I'd say by 2028 anything is possible.

The problem is that AI can't generate creativity or heart/soul, and original EQ had a lot of those things. With Brad gone I bet Pantheon is running into the same issue. Recreating heart and soul isn't easy, hell it's almost impossible.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Ya know, it's entirely possible that some time soon AI is gonna be able to generate so much stuff that actual developers are going to have to do significantly less work. I'd say by 2028 anything is possible.

So long before Pantheon is in alpha

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Zero chance on this one

Agree, ramp needs more transition

The problem is that AI can't generate creativity or heart/soul, and original EQ had a lot of those things. With Brad gone I bet Pantheon is running into the same issue. Recreating heart and soul isn't easy, hell it's almost impossible.

True, eventually open world games / MMOs will be able to generate interesting content / quests among 1000s of NPCs in various worlds. It might finally be the solution to devs complaining about quest spoiler sites.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Probably not. From now till 2028 I think you'll see more and more Skyrim mods and a few proofs of concept doing LLM->Content stuff. The hard part is generating content in a usable format and integrating it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I'm talking about the conditions for a successful MMO and how Everquest 3 doesn't have any of them.

You need a strong IP and a strong studio, but I think that beyond that you need both and a studio that has succeeded already with that IP.

Obviously the game has to be good too, but the above conditions make that likely.

The only real MMO hope is Riot's MMO or a third Final Fantasy MMO.

I disagree, we've seen a few MMOs in the last decade or so that have been brand-new IPs but still had a good run, like RIFT and Black Desert. It's more about having a strong studio.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I disagree, we've seen a few MMOs in the last decade or so that have been brand-new IPs but still had a good run, like RIFT and Black Desert. It's more about having a strong studio.
Don't know a lot about Black Desert but seems like it's big on mobile?

Did Rift actually have a good run? Key test for me I think is if the game killed the studio and Rift's studio seems to just be releasing half made prototypes and licensed games.

Blizzard has multiple high selling games past WoW even if we think they were shit.

FF14's studio took 10 years to claw out of the grave but finally released FF16 this year.

Pretty much every other MMO studio closed down right?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Don't know a lot about Black Desert but seems like it's big on mobile?

Did Rift actually have a good run? Key test for me I think is if the game killed the studio.

Blizzard has multiple high selling games past WoW even if we think they were shit.

FF14's studio took 10 years to claw out of the grave but finally released FF16 this year.

Pretty much every other MMO studio closed down right?

Black Desert is huge. I don't like it, and most MMORPG veterans don't like it, but it's a pretty bespoke entry in the genre and it's lasted the test of time.

RIFT had a great run. The game did not kill the studio, it was doing so well that the revenue from it allowed Trion to get investment for FOUR other projects. Unfortunately, all four of those projects failed: Defiance was awful, Age of Nations (or w/e it was called) was cancelled, ArcheAge had a really quick flash in the pan before its own devs killed it (not Trion's fault, but they didn't have enough creative control in their publishing agreement to correct it) and... there was a fourth one but I forgot what it was. Due to all of these projects failing, RIFT had to be converted into a cash cow in order to keep the company afloat and that's what ended up killing it. But before that? It was an excellent game.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Black Desert is huge. I don't like it, and most MMORPG veterans don't like it, but it's a pretty bespoke entry in the genre and it's lasted the test of time.

RIFT had a great run. The game did not kill the studio, it was doing so well that the revenue from it allowed Trion to get investment for FOUR other projects. Unfortunately, all four of those projects failed: Defiance was awful, Age of Nations (or w/e it was called) was cancelled, ArcheAge had a really quick flash in the pan before its own devs killed it (not Trion's fault, but they didn't have enough creative control in their publishing agreement to correct it) and... there was a fourth one but I forgot what it was. Due to all of these projects failing, RIFT had to be converted into a cash cow in order to keep the company afloat and that's what ended up killing it. But before that? It was an excellent game.
Similar story with EQ, tbh. First cannbalized its audience with EQ2 then used its revenue to fund other games.