Everquest AMA Answered!

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
PVP in EQ has been dead for years. The team would likely be more interested in working on PVP if Zek had more than 30 people playing on it (37 when I left in 2015). So yeah.. Tell me again how so many people want EQ PVP.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
PVP in EQ has been dead for years. The team would likely be more interested in working on PVP if Zek had more than 30 people playing on it (37 when I left in 2015). So yeah.. Tell me again how so many people want EQ PVP.

EQEmu PVP servers can get a decent amount of players.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Modern EQ and the classic era emus are very different games. I would think the modern game just doesn't accommodate PvP well.

I didn't PvP much, but I did play red99 for two months and SZ for a few weeks. PvP in old EQ is really a team game, as the 1v1 PvP is terribly unbalanced. Team fights can work though. If a PvP server is done, it really should be teams oriented IMO.

• 1Like

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
EQEmu PVP servers can get a decent amount of players.

Depends upon what you mean by decent amount I guess. You would need several thousand players for it to matter. And not just for a day or two. The EQ team is stretched thin as it is, and there just isn't any justification to devote any time to PVP. To be honest, I don't know why we didn't shut the PVP server down when I was still there, except it really didn't take much to run it, but it certainly wasn't generating any revenue at all. Regardless, PVP in EQ was a band-aid applied on top of the original game AT BEST.. It was never designed to be a PVP game, and never had much time invested in PVP when it was new..

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
Question 2 - Will there ever be a FV ruleset TLP server added?

Alan: ... 2. FV rules are a curse. You don't want that on your server.

I've heard this before

• 1Worf

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
False there is no progression PVP server. They should do one. Live PVP is unimaginably not cared about through development. Give me a break no one wants it. We just asked for a progression PVP server (what we want) and were offered something we don't want (current modern live pvp server) .... lol ok.

So yeah, make one and I'll play it. These people are completely anti PVP and I can smell it. Battle Royale games and mobas are PVP and mad successful, deal with it.

Not gonna lie, that pissed me off too. Typical cult think.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
False there is no progression PVP server. They should do one. Live PVP is unimaginably not cared about through development. Give me a break no one wants it. We just asked for a progression PVP server (what we want) and were offered something we don't want (current modern live pvp server) .... lol ok.

So yeah, make one and I'll play it. These people are completely anti PVP and I can smell it. Battle Royale games and mobas are PVP and mad successful, deal with it.

I know you are old, but its 2019, the games industry tells people what they like, not the other way around.

Hope this helps.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
By that logic why even have TLP servers at all? Want to experience EQ in its heyday? Just play on the Live servers! All the zones are there!

They just don't want to have a special ruleset TLP server probably.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
They should just open one up and make no effort to make any changes for pvp. Then they spend no dev resources. Can't be any worse than Brekt.

• 2Like
"Jonathan: EverQuest can’t be exactly like it was in 1999 for multiple reasons. 1. That code and data is gone. ...."

And who the fucks fault is that? Or are you suggesting this is the fifth law of thermodynamics that, over time, all code reduces to 0"?

Do your jobs. Hire people to reconstruct it. You have an entire EMU community wanting to help. You cannot just go.... aaaaaaaaaaaaaand
32uuri.jpg

• 1Picard
  • 1Salty

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

Are you not seeing how literally every single one of the blockbuster online games these days is about PVP? How can you state noone likes the concept of PVP? It is more popular then ever.

Companies are vying to get into the e-sports scene, which is literally all (team) PVP games, but there isn't a market for it?

At some point someone decided "we going to stop working on PVP", and after years of neglect states "look, the servers are dying, we were right all the way!"

This is why people lament the state of the video games industry.

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I should have asked if they would ever do a best of the best contest again pvp style. Still ticked on the day it was schedule for my server was patch day and constant crashes. Nobody could stay in for longer than 10 minutes and eventually it was just cancelled or they awarded it to the winner of the first round or something. Still burns me up lol.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Are you not seeing how literally every single one of the blockbuster online games these days is about PVP? How can you state noone likes the concept of PVP? It is more popular then ever.

Companies are vying to get into the e-sports scene, which is literally all (team) PVP games, but there isn't a market for it?

At some point someone decided "we going to stop working on PVP", and after years of neglect states "look, the servers are dying, we were right all the way!"

This is why people lament the state of the video games industry.

Some of that is because it's constant content they don't have to come up with. Go out and kill someone on a map over and over. We don't have to work quest and npc's into it. The gaming community has changed a lot in 20 years as well.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Progression PvP is probably the only progression server I'd consider playing. I bet they don't want it because it'd be a huge drama-fest when some jerk with 50 mages from VMs starts camping players like they're camping hill giants.
41. Are there any plans to increase the operating budget of EQ, or is management's plan to continue to slowly reduce its size from its current "4.5 artists, 5.3 designers, and 5.7 programmers" despite "the fact that the EverQuest team has been continually begging management for 2 additional content designers for multiple years to no avail". (Quotes from Dzarn).

Holly: That’s literally my business, not yours.
I am proud that in an AMA directed at the producer I asked the only question related to producer business and got told it was the producer's business, not mine.
lead_720_405.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Ding!

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I just saw the "significant technical costs to reopen Alkabor" comment

These ppl cannot be taken seriously

• 2Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

People want a fresh rolled box with classic PVP not the live PVP server as you can clearly see.

Hard pass on "the lost dungeons of the gates of Terris Thule's mercerary game"

• 1Like

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
People want a fresh rolled box with classic PVP not the live PVP server as you can clearly see.

Hard pass on "the lost dungeons of the gates of Terris Thule's mercerary game"
Look at p99s PVP server, even its heyday it was like at most 300 people when the blue server had 2000. Fully not worth devs time especially considering the amount of complaints would arise from all the usual autists.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
Look at p99s PVP server, even its heyday it was like at most 300 people when the blue server had 2000. Fully not worth devs time especially considering the amount of complaints would arise from all the usual autists.
I have to agree. I started on live on Tallon Zek and fully embraced PvP, it wasn't balanced but it was fun. But it has turned into something else. Relentless griefing, no respect. Not worth it, I don't believe it would have a decent population. P99 red was a cesspool.