Everquest II

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I heard the same. It's a good possibility they are gonna just do the lazy thing and use current code. And if they do that we'll have level 50s day 1 with almost all raid content cleared in a week.
Using the current code , I would expect raid content cleared within few days. (Probably 2-3 group raids)

That being said, I would fire up the cell phone for those late night call lists and play.

(Personally, I got sick of starting over in guilds after the 1000th split and people quit....and had to stop playing this year)

Louis

Trakanon Raider
No way they would ever use original code. Even though launch has a fond spot in my heart (what's wrong with me?) there were mechanics and thought processes that were just absolutely retarded.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Given how much effort they put into eq1 prog, I'd say the most you can hope for is an adjusted xp curve.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Hopefully we'll be able to earn AA EXP as well. I'm fine with not being able to spend any of it until they unlock KoS, but it would be nice to be able to start earning it right away.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I heard the same. It's a good possibility they are gonna just do the lazy thing and use current code. And if they do that we'll have level 50s day 1 with almost all raid content cleared in a week.
I ask the webcast after the acquisition and they said that EQ2 simply did not have an architecture that allowed this like EQ1. They said they had no way of limiting content per expansion and was simply not possible.

Oh well.. no surprise you get whatever line to curb the audience at that time.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I ask the webcast after the acquisition and they said that EQ2 simply did not have an architecture that allowed this like EQ1. They said they had no way of limiting content per expansion and was simply not possible.

Oh well.. no surprise you get whatever line to curb the audience at that time.
They aren't doing progression servers now, they are doing servers that will forever be "launch" "dof" "eof" etc

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
i think i'd enjoy playing through a launch server again. it was such a huge deal when i had to choose scout > rogue > swashbuckler near launch. I thought about it for a few days coming off being a raiding cleric in eq1...what would be the opposite of what I just did for 5 years. I think I would enjoy doing 1-30 again on a fresh from the start server.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Does classic EQ2 have more contested boss than instanced boss? I wanna raid in the prog server but not sure if I have the time for contested... You know their spawn time is bad.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Hopefully we'll be able to earn AA EXP as well. I'm fine with not being able to spend any of it until they unlock KoS, but it would be nice to be able to start earning it right away.
You won't be able to and you shouldn't be able to. Not that it really matters AAs will probably take no more time than it took you to level regular levels

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Does classic EQ2 have more contested boss than instanced boss? I wanna raid in the prog server but not sure if I have the time for contested... You know their spawn time is bad.
A little more instanced than contested. Probably close to 10 contested mobs that matter and probably around 15-20 instanced mobs, counting splitpaw, dmorte Darathar and fire and ice. Also SoTL has like 10 mobs in it too.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The important shit like Darathar was all instanced. Release raid game sucked. I was in a cutting edge guild getting worldwide discos on it and it was still a lame experience. (guild was Xanadu) All the changes in DoF made playing a Guardian terrible and I quit. Came back around KoS-Kunark as Wizard, quit again at TSO release, came back for Velious as an Inquisitor and that was such a bad expansion experience that I never touched the game again!

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Try playing a Zerker all the way from 2004-2014.....up down up down up down....needed, not needed, needed, no fuck way needed....

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
They aren't doing progression servers now, they are doing servers that will forever be "launch" "dof" "eof" etc
Are they trying the "separate servers with free transfers to the next tier" thing?

Population issues aside that's probably the only way to really do it "right"

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Try playing a Zerker all the way from 2004-2014.....up down up down up down....needed, not needed, needed, no fuck way needed....
That's the whole other can of worms about EQ2 that I always hated. Hard cap 24 man raids, yet there are 24 classes in game!? It's too few raid slots and either you have poopsock perfect attendance guildies, or you have a shit load of people forced to sit out all of the time. Terrible design, imo.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Raid Design in EQ1 has slowly become the same crap that was in EQ2 in the beginning, a bunch of one event instances (I say in the beginning, but other than Darathar I think the non-contested events were all patched in post-release). It's sad. Shit like Hate, VP, NToV, VT, Time were awesome. Blizzard did it right too with a bunch of boss heavy zones. There isn't any magic in just doing a scaled up 5 man event. There is precious little in doing any one event instance. I hope modern EQ2 isn't like that. I wouldn't go back and raid in release EQ2. Shit was terribad.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The worst part of the 24 class thing was the 6 tanks, when raids only ever need 1 or 2 and that will always be the one that is best at threat + EHP. And then you have like, 3 classes that blow everyone else the fuck away in dps, and anyone else needs to fill a very specific support role whose usefulness is always changing.

When I was a Brigand, brigs were like gods with their incredible debuffs and aoe immunity. And then *poof*, no more brigs.

I think raid dps broke down roughly like this:
T1: gods
T2: useless
T3: support
T4: tanks/healers

I think I'd rather just be the wizard/lock, whichever has the less annoying gimmick. Top tier dps without going broke on poisons.

Oh, and having to wait for autoattacks between button mashes is the most retarded thing in all of MMOs.

I can't imagine the nightmare of coming up with a solid raid group when you can only fit 24 players of highly specific classes and have such a massive turnover rate. To get into EQ2 FoH's raid, all I had to do was hang around and wait for one or two people to quit. Boom, raid spot by default.