Everquest II

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Personally I think 06/07 would be the best year for EQ2 to launch, without having to compete with WoW directly and more time to polish.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah later wouldn't have helped, and earlier would have meant the launch would have just been even less polished. game was doomed to low population.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
It literally had a 2nd chance at life, EQ2 was OK once it stopped pretending to compete with WoW.

Was a decent niche MMO, and it appeared to be healthy and making profit with a loyal tight knit fan base, and a cash store that wasn't too crazy, but appealed to the dress up & dollhouse crowd.

Supposedly the PvP servers were a moderate success as well.

Then SOE did what they always do. Went full retard. 2nd time had nothing to do with WoW or any other competition.

It blows my mind, I just can't comprehend wtf they were thinking.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Launch was bad. DoF they EoF was the pinnacle for me. I hated RoF with a passion. Went full on WoW solo quest. That was ponytail's production, so it figures. It only got worse from there. It never recovered.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I should clarify: launch was bad but the grouping and dungeons were great. It was the raid game that sucked. But Permafrost, Sol Eye, etc were pretty good. And huge to boot. The prismatic quest chain took work. All the mobs were group mobs in most areas. Not the solo fest it is now so you had to group up. Didn't have to run with a full group but at least it wasn't EZ Mode.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Was soulsek eye and lavastorm even in at launch? I seem to remember them getting patched in a few months later, but I smoked a bunch of pot since then.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Was soulsek eye and lavastorm even in at launch? I seem to remember them getting patched in a few months later, but I smoked a bunch of pot since then.

I remember them being in at launch. I'm not 100% though. Only thing I'm 100% certain of is that they nerfed my Enc classes every patch for the first 40 or so until DoF. That and breeze aggri was a bitch. Darathar made many trips to the other side of the island to wipe me out after the pull.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Lavastorm and Everfrost were both definitely in before they released their first chronicle. I was on Lavastorm roughly two months or so after launch. I can't speak to Solusek's eye.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Sol's eye was in at launch. It had some real bad graphics glitches though and I think it was patched a month or two in. Only reason I know this cause back then you got a ton of exp from disco so I went with a swashy as no mobs in there saw invis back then. Everfrost was defo in as well.

I'm not playing but couple old guildies are, the epic 2 requirements mean you can't return to playing if you're a new starter or newer returning player. I read its around 600 quests (plus level 100 crafter) and a massive time sink for some new stat they put in. Daybreak really are alienating the players.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I can't have general chat on, its just creepy mentally ill types, and neurotic housewives. That's putting it politely. I never thought anything could be worse than WoW general/trade during primetime. Funny how the easiest way to trigger EQ2 players is still just mentioning WoW in any way lol.

Mercs are fucking crazy, have the veteran SK one, and I don't even have to do shit. I just run around aggroing all the things, and he rapes everything, heroics die just as fast as normal mobs lol. Only died once so far because I accidentally pulled an epic x4 in withering lands. I'm gonna guess they aren't that powerful for current lvl 100 content right? Anyone that says WoW is easymode compared to EQ2 can eat a bag of dicks.

It's been amusing playing again, I'm not sure if I could be serious about this game again though. I haven't seen a single person in 3 days, including Freeport.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I think the only thing I hated about dirge was being combat rez bitch in some raids. Being at the top of meters during SF was funny though.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Kinda enjoying this now for the nostalgia. Probably helps I haven't gotten the xpac, and simply enjoy running around touring old stuff.

Only thing I hate so far, and always did, was shitty map system, they just plain fugly. Yeah I have the map mod, along with the Darqui.

Inflation sure went through the roof though, seeing people doing the SLR in auction for items 200k+. Used to buy/sell lootrights for 30-60 plat lol

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
For a time I literally thought they were purposely trying to just ruin the game and then it hit me as to why would they ever want to do that.

Some of the shit they did though was just full blown aids.

Sad how bad the mmo genre is now..even if the games werent polished or itemized as well it was still a lot more fun

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I should try this now that I have all access x3 from EQ. I have not played since launch and didnt give it much of a chance.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I have no idea where to ask this, but since this thread made me think of it, I'll ask here first I guess. I realized one of the main reasons I played EQ2 so long is because it had a mostly-fun martial artsy class (monk), and I'm wondering what more modern MMOs out now have a class like that which might be fun? I know WoW but nuts to WoW.

Mainly wondering from the plethora of random Asian MMOs coming over, F2P ones, etc.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I just feel completely lost myself, and I'm a former player.

Original to the Velious shit? Sure, even though velious is "new" to me. I got a handle on all that mostly.

Tried some zone on my 100 brig, penumbra or some shit, and it was fucking complete aids. I got raped so many times there, normal mobs seem mixed all in with heroics. Not to mention the entire zone looks like some fail art student tossed a bunch of paint colors at a wall. It's just plain fucking ugly and nearly impossible to even see the Somali rape gang mobs.

Hope other content I haven't seen yet is better than that shit.

I actually like the velious stuff though.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So I have no idea where to ask this, but since this thread made me think of it, I'll ask here first I guess. I realized one of the main reasons I played EQ2 so long is because it had a mostly-fun martial artsy class (monk), and I'm wondering what more modern MMOs out now have a class like that which might be fun? I know WoW but nuts to WoW.

Mainly wondering from the plethora of random Asian MMOs coming over, F2P ones, etc.

for real just play a monk in wow. lol.

I think some of those Korean ones like Blade and Soul has martial arts type classes. Black Desert Online is probably still the most popular Korean MMO over here but it doesn't have a hand-to-hand/martial arts class. Does have ninjas/samurai though