Everquest II

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
He's definitely using a condescending tone. It never ceases to amaze me how quick we are to say, "If you don't like it there are other options out there for you," even though (in the case of games) the other options are better designed and more fun. You're trying to provide constructive feedback on a system you feel could use improvement and he dismissed you in as rudely of a way as you can (without getting fired) as a community manager/dev.

Looks like reddit is where you need to go get your dev feedback Mulligan. Feel free to link the thread here for maximum lolz.

duragrizzly_sl

shitlord
He's definitely using a condescending tone. It never ceases to amaze me how quick we are to say, "If you don't like it there are other options out there for you," even though (in the case of games) the other options are better designed and more fun. You're trying to provide constructive feedback on a system you feel could use improvement and he dismissed you in as rudely of a way as you can (without getting fired) as a community manager/dev.

Looks like reddit is where you need to go get your dev feedback Mulligan. Feel free to link the thread here for maximum lolz.
[Beta] Scout Ability Damage Feedback : EQ2
not much comedy really.

Kander's Candor: Rum Cellar and Beyond : EQ2
this one has some though
" I will start off by saying we really felt that our original release of Altar of Malice was a little light on content for casual to mid-skill level players. So this release is really concentrating on that"
the expansion was a little light on content, but for 15 more bucks we can totally fix that for you bros

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I've been all over Reddit.... they're not even giving me any bull crap business responses. Luckily, i'm no longer that bored with gaming as I was a week or so ago thanks to H1Z1.

ixian_sl

shitlord
the best part is, i saw they were asking for feedback on eq2's reddit. since no one uses that shit, i figured i could get a response from a dev to a question that has been bothering the shit out of me

Cantebury comments on [Beta] Scout Ability Damage Feedback

im pretty sure that dev just hit me with a "lol go back to wow if u want ez" atleast thats how i took it. fuck eq2
Yeah, I'm friends with the person who said that but I'm not a fan of the argument (particularly because of the hyperbolic pendulum swing to 5 abilities). That said, even if they had the inclination to, the amount of time it'd take to comb through abilities on 26 classes to prune abilities is too much, especially when considering the amount of stuff that would have to be put on hold as a result (basically anything systems-related).

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I'm friends with the person who said that but I'm not a fan of the argument (particularly because of the hyperbolic pendulum swing to 5 abilities). That said, even if they had the inclination to, the amount of time it'd take to comb through abilities on 26 classes to prune abilities is too much, especially when considering the amount of stuff that would have to be put on hold as a result (basically anything systems-related).
I don't buy it. I'm sure it's a lot of time but I believe they are saying they don't have the time to devote to fixing their game and churn out new content. This goes back to my point, their development is based on keeping suits happy or to just say they are introducing new content to their playerbase. In my opinion, if i'm Nova, Daybreak, or whoever, I do (or have already done) some investigative work and tell them that I don't want to see anything scrap of content until the following things are fixed. I hand them a checklist and then come back every now and again for a status report. I would take the position publicly that I bought SoE and planned on cleaning these games up and restoring their place in the gaming industry.

That's a pipe dream though and i'm almost to the point of not caring about what Daybreak does or what they plan to do. H1Z1 is their only saving grace in my eyes.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
There is nothing complex about hitting 50 buttons. It's just a pain in the ass and you stare at your hotbars for entire fights instead of paying attention to the actual boss encounter.

ixian_sl

shitlord
I don't buy it. I'm sure it's a lot of time but I believe they are saying they don't have the time to devote to fixing their game and churn out new content. This goes back to my point, their development is based on keeping suits happy or to just say they are introducing new content to their playerbase. In my opinion, if i'm Nova, Daybreak, or whoever, I do (or have already done) some investigative work and tell them that I don't want to see anything scrap of content until the following things are fixed. I hand them a checklist and then come back every now and again for a status report. I would take the position publicly that I bought SoE and planned on cleaning these games up and restoring their place in the gaming industry.

That's a pipe dream though and i'm almost to the point of not caring about what Daybreak does or what they plan to do. H1Z1 is their only saving grace in my eyes.
The problem with this is the people producing content (as in the actual zones, enemy scripting, etc.) are not the people who would be involved with the kind of rebalance you're talking about, nor are they necessarily capable of assisting in order to reduce the workload.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
The problem with this is the people producing content (as in the actual zones, enemy scripting, etc.) are not the people who would be involved with the kind of rebalance you're talking about, nor are they necessarily capable of assisting in order to reduce the workload.
I can see that... are there people with this skill set even on staff at this time?

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Lol, 50+ buttons is "complexity" and needing to have a proper "cast order"...

Let me get this bullshit straight. You have, at BEST, a simple priority system made overly complex based on the sheer volume of abilities. This is, by definition, bad complexity. It forces you to automate, theres no thinking.

Yet, if you had 5-8 main buttons, and 4-5 situational buttons, that required a real decision to be made for each button press, then thats good complexity.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It's been several years since I played EQ2, but you could be very effective by just macroing similar abilities together. Could you be the best? No, but you might just enjoy the game a little more with closer to 10 buttons than 50.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
It's been several years since I played EQ2, but you could be very effective by just macroing similar abilities together. Could you be the best? No, but you might just enjoy the game a little more with closer to 10 buttons than 50.
Which is a complete deisgn flaw. Could it provide more enjoyment? Yes. Would it piss me off that I have to spend time fixing the dev's stupid design decisions just to find the game enjoyable? Yes.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Lol, 50+ buttons is "complexity" and needing to have a proper "cast order"...

Let me get this bullshit straight. You have, at BEST, a simple priority system made overly complex based on the sheer volume of abilities. This is, by definition, bad complexity. It forces you to automate, theres no thinking.

Yet, if you had 5-8 main buttons, and 4-5 situational buttons, that required a real decision to be made for each button press, then thats good complexity.
I agree with you, this is also why I enjoyed playing Channeler (the newest class), since it was designed with this playstyle in mind.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I wish they'd make a progression server of this. Old school isle of refuge yooo0. ps it was my first MMO so nostalgia is here brehs

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Out of boredom I rolled a warlock on AB just to kill some time. Is it me or do master chests just not drop anymore to force you to buy the time reduction stuff for spells? Can't even use them until level 20 but that's not the point. Lower level masters used to flow freely in this game.

Also, at level 17, I have 2.5 hotbars of shit already...

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Out of boredom I rolled a warlock on AB just to kill some time. Is it me or do master chests just not drop anymore to force you to buy the time reduction stuff for spells? Can't even use them until level 20 but that's not the point. Lower level masters used to flow freely in this game.

Also, at level 17, I have 2.5 hotbars of shit already...
I get them pretty frequent. The amount of hotbars may be annoying but I'd much rather this than the like 7 keys you use in WoW or whatever. Would be nicer with less but w/e I've learned to live with it

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
Honestly if you had an issue with the huge amount of hotbars you just are fucking bad. You only press like 10-15 buttons max.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Honestly if you had an issue with the huge amount of hotbars you just are fucking bad. You only press like 10-15 buttons max.
Please. I played that game on the bleeding edge of the raid scene from beta on. No need to try to toss around epeen bro. If you can't admit that the system is fucked up and that playing whack-a-mole isn't skill, you must be bad and retarded.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Please. I played that game on the bleeding edge of the raid scene from beta on. No need to try to toss around epeen bro. If you can't admit that the system is fucked up and that playing whack-a-mole isn't skill, you must be bad and retarded.
how brave were you

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I agree with you, this is also why I enjoyed playing Channeler (the newest class), since it was designed with this playstyle in mind.
I feel like I know you and you're the coder guy whose name I can't remember. The timing of you being there was right. I sent you a message saying you were like the only one I was sorry got laid off.

It's true though, you really only use like 1-1.5 hotbars in combat.