Everquest II

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Please. I played that game on the bleeding edge of the raid scene from beta on. No need to try to toss around epeen bro. If you can't admit that the system is fucked up and that playing whack-a-mole isn't skill, you must be bad and retarded.
I liked EQ2s combat much more than the simplistic route in WoW - You actually had to know what to press on the piano to do good!!! I know ppl gripe on the amount of buttons but i used my g13 and stopped pressing keyboards on pc games years ago.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I feel like I know you and you're the coder guy whose name I can't remember. The timing of you being there was right. I sent you a message saying you were like the only one I was sorry got laid off.

It's true though, you really only use like 1-1.5 hotbars in combat.
Maybe it's the fact that I raided with a Coercer and an Illusionist, but we had WAY more than 1.5 hotbars of shit to press and use.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Maybe it's the fact that I raided with a Coercer and an Illusionist, but we had WAY more than 1.5 hotbars of shit to press and use.
Not that you actively pressed in combat. You have buffs outside which are whatever. Then you had like 1 hotbar in combat, and half of it didn't even matter that much. I mean you could pretty much cast temps, turn on auto attack, and cast 3 spells and do 85% or your dps.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
My only issue was all the temp pots and clicky adorns I had to hotbar and go through. (Not life changing, but was an annoyance on raids)

ixian_sl

shitlord
I feel like I know you and you're the coder guy whose name I can't remember. The timing of you being there was right. I sent you a message saying you were like the only one I was sorry got laid off.
You do, that's me (Endymion), and I appreciate that comment and this one as well.
smile.png

My only issue was all the temp pots and clicky adorns I had to hotbar and go through. (Not life changing, but was an annoyance on raids)
I kind of hate this stuff in MMOs. Whenever a new ability/item is added in any game that's just going to be a part of "the" burst window, I cringe.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I fought against clicky items forever. Clicky items are so dumb. Making most charms click items didn't help either.

I think the game just suffered from lack of cohessive vision. So many things done that constantly counter each other.

Lets get rid of crit mit because adorning for crit mit is lame.

But lets make an unrealistic resist threshold that if you don't meet you get one shot.

I mean what? There was just tons of stuff like that. Clicky things was one of them.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Lack of a cohesive vision was a pain, but it's hard to pull off when you've had so many developers over the years, unfortunately. I legitimately think given time (a lot of time sadly, way too much), the team we had prior to layoffs could have made things more sensible, but you're pulling the rug out from underneath people who are used to the way things have been for so many years, so you have no idea if it will be well received or not, thus making it hard to justify.

Then you also have things like feature requests that were clearly misunderstood when they were implemented (eg: "The damage from this ability is harder than normal to mitigate" reducing your % damage reduction rather than affecting the amount your resists contribute to your damage reduction). Little things like that add up.

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
Please. I played that game on the bleeding edge of the raid scene from beta on. No need to try to toss around epeen bro. If you can't admit that the system is fucked up and that playing whack-a-mole isn't skill, you must be bad and retarded.
The game isn't whack-a-mole you have like 1.5 hotbars of abilites you constantly press (my fury could get down to 1 on 90% of fights probably) the rest is buffs/stupid shit

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Lack of a cohesive vision was a pain, but it's hard to pull off when you've had so many developers over the years, unfortunately. I legitimately think given time (a lot of time sadly, way too much), the team we had prior to layoffs could have made things more sensible, but you're pulling the rug out from underneath people who are used to the way things have been for so many years, so you have no idea if it will be well received or not, thus making it hard to justify.

Then you also have things like feature requests that were clearly misunderstood when they were implemented (eg: "The damage from this ability is harder than normal to mitigate" reducing your % damage reduction rather than affecting the amount your resists contribute to your damage reduction). Little things like that add up.
I think letting go of Roger was a huge mistake for the company. I don't know what he was like in the office, but as someone I could talk to about encounters he was someone I could get through to with logical reasoning. Even if sometimes it was like banging my head against a wall and I had to lead him to why it was bad, I could get him there.

Plus I think Carlos is the worst developer in the history off MMO's
tongue.png

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I am not sure why i was ever hopefully of EQN - EQ Dev team has always been pretty laughable when it comes to making decisions. Even if the guys working on EQN are not the guys from EQ2, that well is quite poisoned. At this point i doubt it matters, im curious what skeleton crew is even working on that project anymore and what form of it will be shown this year(if at all).

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
People laughed at me when I told them the game was forever away years ago at SOE Live when it was announced. "It'll be out in 1.5 years tops!"

Yeah, right. They didn't even have a game when they announced it. They put it out there way too soon because the company was bleeding money on it.

kyle_sl

shitlord
To their credit, the buildings that the players are creating is absolutely amazing. Other than that, ya: shit game, no hope, RIP.

duragrizzly_sl

shitlord
People laughed at me when I told them the game was forever away years ago at SOE Live when it was announced. "It'll be out in 1.5 years tops!"

Yeah, right. They didn't even have a game when they announced it. They put it out there way too soon because the company was bleeding money on it.
not only that, but what they did show looks like they took landmark and added some combat abilities and called it everquest next. this mixed with it being free 2 play (aka everything locked behind microtransactions) and you got yourself an SOE mmo

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
They're not easy, and the shock to the population is not something that should be ignored. You can bet that there are tens of thousands of duplicate names that would need to be resolved somehow, and there isn't a perfect solution. Perhaps the most elegant server merging I've seen is in WoW. They opted for Name-ServerName, but I don't think EQ2 has an autofill feature to complete the rest of the name when you type /tell XXX-ServerName, so that'd be a huge pain in terms of user experience.

On the technical side, merging databases is always scary because no matter how much you test something will inevitably go wrong. And while it's extremely unlikely that EQ2 would have to worry about this in its current state, there is the concern of too many concurrent users during peak times (expac launch, for example). WoW effectively DDoS'd themselves when their latest expac launched because they had done server merges over the last year and they almost doubled their subscribers on launch day (~6 million to ~10 million). The first few days were so unplayable (due to server instability caused by too many concurrent users) that they credited all active accounts with a few days of play time.

Anyway, I guess that's a long answer to a short question. Server merges aren't easy and require a significant amount of resources (and a bit of gambling) to implement.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Dandai: Pretty sure on X-server stuff it would just be one of the original names only that would be used, that's been the method for EQ1 merges.

Japanfour_sl

shitlord
i get that its tough to merge servers and so on. But thats their challenge to stay competative. Maybe if they stopped adding bullshit to inflate their content, and instead added meaningful features sooner, they wouldnt be dieing on the vine like they are. They need to stop copying the meaningless shit that other games do and find something new that appeals to their niche in MMOs. The game has potential but its falling further and futher from what it used to be and the things that made it enjoyable and meaningful to play.

I mean the servers were down recently, but the server populations were still up as if alot of people were playing. How much of a fuck you is that to people already playing, and to the prospective player. Its fucking scam advertising.

im sure theybreakgames will fix everything about that though. lul.

I see they released a "community issue tracker" . Worst decision ever, its going to show their customers, the prospective customers, and their own company how short they fall when it comes to pleasing their players. Unless they have a way to moderate it, which Im guessing they do so they can edit it to look good to people. just like the server populations. I was also reading a thread about players being annoyed by the server pop issue, and people were stating how its difficult to program the amount of players on the server instead of a stupid ass bar. Its easy to do. They just wont tell you the real number because if you knew there was only 200 people on your server alot of people would be pissed.