Everquest II

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I was doing that, and then a whole camp of very tough gnolls spawned on top of me. No idea what that was about.

Oops I screwed up the quote, I mean hunting in commonlands outside the gate. Or was it that other zone.
Think those are the public quest mobs

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Take freeport bell to neriak then go to darklight wood, it's a much better starting area (~5 years newer) and rewards you with a mount towards the end, and better gear for the quests overall.

Once you get around 10 or 12 you can look for groups in wailing caves off of CT. Then progress to Fallen Gate and so on. Since you're a necro you don't have to worry about sitting around with your thumb up your butt LFG, you'll be able to solo practically anything.

Google "eq2 dungeon timeline" for level ranges.

At any rate wiz is so terrible at soloing that all I did was head straight to a dungeon and then lived there for ten levels, so I was often at the mercy of things like your typical group with two fighters, two priests and a bard that are pulling singles and autoattacking and nobody has any food and so on.
Thanks for this advice, DW was way better than CL. I miss the scenery though.

Is grouping generally better exp than solo?

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks for this advice, DW was way better than CL. I miss the scenery though.

Is grouping generally better exp than solo?
Yep. Solo in EQ2 (outside of being a conj / nec / sk god) is that thing you do until you can group around 14-ish. Getting the grandmaster group hot / ward / reactive makes healing wc/bb much easier. Duo is also pretty decent experience if you're a healer grouped with said god-tier classes :p

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Luckily they often advertise themselves as "looking for a plate/chain healer" (meaning the druid thinks he's dps) or you'll see an SK looking for a tank. Nope nope nope.

You see a lot of fighters that are confused because their tanking dps is pretty decent thanks to all the outside procs being heaped onto them plus blowing all their AOE on pull and things dying so fast. "I can do 1k dps!" Yeah, for about ten seconds.

Double tank is still better than double healer at least.

And man, what a difference protoflame and ice comet make.
Eh, if you've got a necro or conj carrying the dps, 2 healer can actually be pretty nice for larger aoe groups once tanks get a few more blue aoes. Just as long as they're different types of healer :3

Zaide

TLP Idealist
So are we in dungeons doing kill quests while grinding as a group or is dungeon+group exp good enough that it becomes the standard mob grind?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I started a Fury on my wife's account. Let me tell you how hilarious it is to duo with a mentored down 50 Conjuror w/ Master pet. He pretty much one shots things until the late 20s.

I got to 30 in no time, and decided to try out the Bloodlines stuff because I missed it when it was originally released. Good lord that is some god awful content compared to the handcrafted dungeons. And they reuse the instance like 5 times. Awful Awful.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
For dungeons generally you pick up the quests (or ask people to share them) and then pretty much just complete them on accident as you run laps around the place.

Since you don't have to sit or even stand still to get full regen (just be out of combat) EQ2 is about mowing the lawn, not sitting and pulling.

I'm already basically out of shit to do at 50 unless people happen to be hitting up named.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
There is no decrease in xp if you kill a mob solo vs 6 people in a group. If someone is a higher level than you it changes it by like .1 or something really small like that (this was at level 1). So grouping is always the way to go

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
City raid group makeup: 7 cloth, 2 plate, 2 chain, 1 leather. And one caster wins 3 of the 6 molds. God dammit.

I guess I'll make a Kreugina Callme'Caitlyn to tool around (heh) on until there's something useful to do. ie, basically anything except more CT.

A little useless now for most but something I wish I had known - after doing the isle shit, and going to darklight/frostfang, go and do the level 1 quests for way the fuck better armor than anything you'll see for a while. My inquisitor is currently invincible.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
DoF was overwhelmingly shot down and the vote will run again in like 2 weeks.

There is absolutely no incentive for anyone under 45 to vote for DOF because it brings no content at all for them, and it's not like eq1 where they'll vote just to get the farmers out of the noob zones.

Also, the vote is rigged as fuck because you need a 2/3rd majority to pass and any level can vote.

Japanfour_sl

shitlord
DoF was overwhelmingly shot down and the vote will run again in like 2 weeks.

There is absolutely no incentive for anyone under 45 to vote for DOF because it brings no content at all for them, and it's not like eq1 where they'll vote just to get the farmers out of the noob zones.

Also, the vote is rigged as fuck because you need a 2/3rd majority to pass and any level can vote.
the vote wasnt real to begin with. If it was they would put out the actual #s of who voted what. Something like this would be pretty simple for programmers to track and put out for people to read.

Its just a device for them to control their development workload. I mean its 6 people for a bunch of games. Wouldnt it be smarter for them to put out a server where they didnt have to create much or alter much. Have a vote for its expansion where they can tell us the results without putting up the actual numbers? Make the results whatever they need to be to suit how much work they have to do at the moment?

Thats what I would do if I was running a skeleton crew for multiple games. Anything to control the demand.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
the vote wasnt real to begin with. If it was they would put out the actual #s of who voted what. Something like this would be pretty simple for programmers to track and put out for people to read.

Its just a device for them to control their development workload. I mean its 6 people for a bunch of games. Wouldnt it be smarter for them to put out a server where they didnt have to create much or alter much. Have a vote for its expansion where they can tell us the results without putting up the actual numbers? Make the results whatever they need to be to suit how much work they have to do at the moment?

Thats what I would do if I was running a skeleton crew for multiple games. Anything to control the demand.
Numbers can be made up, too.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
City raid group makeup: 7 cloth, 2 plate, 2 chain, 1 leather. And one caster wins 3 of the 6 molds. God dammit.
That shit infuriated me in normal groups. That one guy would win every single master drop. Ok buddy, you can stop rolling now, spread the wealth, etc.

Now I just solo named when I want my lewts. Just waiting for DoF because raid gear is a downgrade at this point, and I have all my important masters. Except my lvl 50 spell, because we're bugged and cant even make lvl 50 experts o_O

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
yeah cant name a single one of em. also think I was 50 before they even made a toon aka wtf american players
I think the problem is all the hardcore NA players are spread out into many guilds. I mean our guild ("semi-hardcore") right now prob has 2 groups of good players (prob 6 of them are really good & hardcore), and we have to fill out raid force with 2 more group of average casual players...

Not sure about other hardcore guilds like Exnihilo and Infinitys-End. Not to mention there are also Conquest, Menace, Paragon, Ruin, Sanctimonious etc etc. All spread out man.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Yeah I'm rocking the apprentice ice comet because I'm far too practical to drop 1p+ on a fucking adept.

And yeah, way more guilds than there should be. That shit won't straighten out until content gets harder. I was randomly invited to Paragon and they do okay, and I like their schedule and they are actually active outside of raid times for now.

So did those guys do some shenanigans to deal with Vox's adds? Wasn't there always a way to run them off?

Also, I looked at my decked out brigand from KOS era and, uh, yeah it's going to be a while before raid gear means anything.