Everquest II

I heard they are doing that to all the games. So that someone can just start and go straight to raids.
I would dare say your right, its been being debated for the last 2 years at SOE.

Look I am for it at this point, heck even wow is thinking about doing it.

Basically anyone can still make a level 1 character, once this system goes live.

The major question is if it be 1 heroic character per account with them selling the 2nd, 3rd,4 th etc.

The heroic characters come with decent level 85 gear as well as think around 280 AA, they also are having pre set AA templates you can just pick to have your AA auto assigned for new players to, also heard you be to swtch the AA templates around on the fly like talents are done in Wow.
They are doing this AA template thing soon, they are saying you wont need to buy it anymore to respect.

As I said, some players are bitching but if it gets more players in the game who cares.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
So help me get this straight... Does all this stuff (the heroic champs, re-re-reitemization, etc.) all come with the expansion or they breaking into Live Updates?

To the comment about the raids, I had a great time with EQII raids, I've had a great time with a lot of EQII. I would put it up against any game out there (especially comparable in age) if they had their itemization and abilities sorted out.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I checked out some gameplay vids because I was interested in starting up again. I remember thinking "Graphics can never get better than this" when this game came out. It looks so bad now.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
So help me get this straight... Does all this stuff (the heroic champs, re-re-reitemization, etc.) all come with the expansion or they breaking into Live Updates?
The free level 85 character is coming in a Live Update before the expansion, sometime in September I believe. I assume Velious will also be added to the free plan at that time too.

The re-re-itemization doesn't sound like it will be retroactive, just for content going forward, it will most likely be part of the expansion.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
@Man0warr Thanks..

@Noodleface I've always liked the look of EQII and still do but among my friends, I have always been the minority and I hear more of your thoughts each day. However, I have heard WoW players who gave EQII a try when their F2P came out thinking they couldn't believe how realistic it was and how comic-book or cartoony WoW felt in comparison. I guess today's MMO's are just putting it to shame. I know FFXIV blew me away during beta.

I hate to say it but out of everything coming out, i'll probably get the EQII expansion... I must be on something...

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
@Man0warr Thanks..

@Noodleface I've always liked the look of EQII and still do but among my friends, I have always been the minority and I hear more of your thoughts each day. However, I have heard WoW players who gave EQII a try when their F2P came out thinking they couldn't believe how realistic it was and how comic-book or cartoony WoW felt in comparison. I guess today's MMO's are just putting it to shame. I know FFXIV blew me away during beta.

I hate to say it but out of everything coming out, i'll probably get the EQII expansion... I must be on something...
After playing around with it again it's actually pretty fun. I can notice the skill bloat though already creeping up. At level 26 on my SK I am already mashing shit all over the keyboard. They also have some weird since of quest progression because you can go from doing a level 21 quest off the docks in Butcherblock to finishing up a line up on the cliff, to being sent out and all of a sudden you are in the thick of it with level 31 Mobs at level 24 and NPC quest givers handing out level 31 quests. I was told to go to Thundering Steeps to even it out, but I was able to find a couple more in my level range from pure chase all over the map... So I finished those and am up to 26-27 now I think as of last night. My class is overpowered as crap though so I am able to plow through mobs 3-4 levels above me.

What I am getting really addicted too is the housing. Last night I claimed one of my vet rewards which is a mistmoore castle. The thing has like 3 floors, looks gothic as all hell inside and kind of creepy, but then I can go outside and I have an entire landmass and beach. It's pretty sweet. I let a few folks in and they were scattering some welcome home items around. It was pretty hilarious. I also now have a few ghosts roaming the halls scaring some folks. I can see myself really getting addicted to the housing portion. Just as long as they have good/cool items for loot/crafting other than the store.

I still have yet to run a dungeon since coming back. The only dungeons I have ran prior were crushbone and some haunted house? I cannot remember it. It was fairly fun but people were wissing my the story lines so fast I didn't get to learn about anything in it. Would I be able to take some mercs in here and go through these dungeons without a group?

But yeah, hell it's free now, and the expansions are there except for Velious, Chains of Eternity, and Age of Discovery. I guess Velious will soon be free.

What is still hilarious though is running a 2500k OC''d to 4.5 Ghz, a GTZ 570 Vid card, 8 Gb Ram, and if I throw this thing in Extreme settings, it still runs at 15 FPS.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
EQ2 doesn't use multi-threading/cores right? I remember when I bought my fuckin awesome Core2Duo Extreme back in the day or whatever it was right when EQ2 came out and was so disheartened that they told me I get better performance disabling the other core.

Don't get me wrong, EQ2 can be fun. I was just reminiscing how I thought "this is it, graphics can't get better". I might pop on to try it out again. My level 23 swashbuckler has 330 skills she is ready to unleash in some guitar hero-esque succession.

What is still hilarious though is running a 2500k OC''d to 4.5 Ghz, a GTZ 570 Vid card, 8 Gb Ram, and if I throw this thing in Extreme settings, it still runs at 15 FPS.
I jumped back into this yesterday. Adjust your shadows. I have almost the same exact setup and noticed the same thing. You should be able to run it a lot smoother in extreme with scaled back or disabled shadows.

Are you using any UI mods?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I will when the new free 85/280 AA heroic characters are in next month, doesn't seem worth starting a new character right now when that is so close.

Believe it or not, Mistwalkers is still an open and runing guild. I logged into an old character last night and everything was still in place. Fully stocked bank too.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Its not worth resubbing too. The raids are by now means fun and enjoyable. If you've played WoW and enjoyed /any/ of those raids you'd be hardpressed to find fun in EQ2's raid scene. It is however pretty challenging and hard but its not fun. WoW raids are a bit more challenging and fun now than they used to be but the level of difficulty is still worlds apart. Besides outside of raiding eQ2 has very little to offer.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I jumped back into this yesterday. Adjust your shadows. I have almost the same exact setup and noticed the same thing. You should be able to run it a lot smoother in extreme with scaled back or disabled shadows.

Are you using any UI mods?
Ooh nice. This is good to know. I will try this tonight and check my frames. I hardly pay attention to shadows anyway. No, no UI mods. Are there any worth it?

vGrade

Potato del Grande
Its not worth resubbing too. The raids are by now means fun and enjoyable. If you've played WoW and enjoyed /any/ of those raids you'd be hardpressed to find fun in EQ2's raid scene. It is however pretty challenging and hard but its not fun. WoW raids are a bit more challenging and fun now than they used to be but the level of difficulty is still worlds apart. Besides outside of raiding eQ2 has very little to offer.
The community seems miles more mature than the community in WOW.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I checked out some gameplay vids because I was interested in starting up again. I remember thinking "Graphics can never get better than this" when this game came out. It looks so bad now.
Most gameplay vids are of people raiding with their graphics settings in the floor for max FPS / reduced delay. Despite some questionable character models, I always loved the graphics and had a beefy enough system that my raid settings were fairly respectable too. You have to remember there are about a billion gfx adjustments to be made. If you really want to see what it looks like, download F2P client and tweak the settings to see what you like / dont like.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
...What is still hilarious though is running a 2500k OC''d to 4.5 Ghz, a GTZ 570 Vid card, 8 Gb Ram, and if I throw this thing in Extreme settings, it still runs at 15 FPS.
As said already, disable shadows. Its a CPU pig. The game was designed to run on a single core (not sure if they ever optimized) and to make matters worse, the shadow engine runs off of CPU cycles. You can sometimes see a doubling of FPS by disabling them. It's a shame too because they look great.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I havent done the end-game Hard Mode raiding since Velious, but itemization aside, the raids were pretty fun. The only complaint I would make was that a large portion of the "difficulty" was the burden placed on healers and cures. Miss a cure = almost guaranteed wipe.