Everquest - Live Servers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So anything at all new ? Or is it just a % damage and stat increase across the board and new models?

Maul

Dental Dammer
Whats the opinions on the latest expansion? Skip it and get the next one im thinking at the moment!

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I decided im gonna make some toons on FV. Likely just burn a krono to buy gear with and not use heroics. I only came back to EQ first time since 03 in sept for tlp.But wanna give live a real try as ive seen enough to intrigue me.

I box Cleric and ENC on aradune. But dunno what to try on live. Likely starting with 2 accounts. Possibly adding a third. I want self sufficency in my group

PS. Any idea if we get bonus xp and faction for upcoming hollidays?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I decided im gonna make some toons on FV. Likely just burn a krono to buy gear with and not use heroics. I only came back to EQ first time since 03 in sept for tlp.But wanna give live a real try as ive seen enough to intrigue me.

I box Cleric and ENC on aradune. But dunno what to try on live. Likely starting with 2 accounts. Possibly adding a third. I want self sufficency in my group

I have a 65 paladin on FV I think in GoD/Time gear

krismunich

<Silver Donator>

I second the question: if I run two separate paid accounts on live can I 2 mains + 2 mercs to max level in a reasonable timeframe?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Someone on this forum referred me to Morwenna in Cobalt Scar as a mob I needed to gank. Can't remember who, or which EQ forum it was, so I'll ask here:

Anyone know if Morwenna can spawn off of any "neriad huntress" or is it just one particular spawn? I see two by the rock (either could be the spawn point outlined on EQResource) and I'm taking out both of them. I need a bunch of Morwennas so I'm wondering if there are other huntresses I should be taking out to speed this up.

Neuad

Trakanon Raider
Someone on this forum referred me to Morwenna in Cobalt Scar as a mob I needed to gank. Can't remember who, or which EQ forum it was, so I'll ask here:

Anyone know if Morwenna can spawn off of any "neriad huntress" or is it just one particular spawn? I see two by the rock (either could be the spawn point outlined on EQResource) and I'm taking out both of them. I need a bunch of Morwennas so I'm wondering if there are other huntresses I should be taking out to speed this up.

Theres 6 or so huntresses down by that rock and in the close vicinity that are all placeholders for Morwenna.

Also keep in mind you can sell unused Type 5 augs from CoV in Western Wastes for about 300 currency, and use that to buy any of the others, so if Morwenna is camped you can hit up Finley also in CS and get Agi augs to sell.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Theres 6 or so huntresses down by that rock and in the close vicinity that are all placeholders for Morwenna.

Also keep in mind you can sell unused Type 5 augs from CoV in Western Wastes for about 300 currency, and use that to buy any of the others, so if Morwenna is camped you can hit up Finley also in CS and get Agi augs to sell.

Thanks, I'll start killing the other PHes. I got her twice from that one PH (out of 5 spawns) which has to be pretty lucky. Out of those two, one dropped a Curio. Just 19 to go! I'm glad we can also do missions to get currency and buy these, though it'd take a ton of missions. At least I can run missions a couple times every week and get another Curio that way when I'm not camping.

Morwenna herself is a PITA. I can defeat her without too much trouble, except for her random damage mega-spikes (which I'm guessing is a proc or timed DD). If I get unlucky with one of those I can take a tank death (followed by everyone else). I sustained a couple wipes in the process of getting her the times I did. Tank is wearing full TOV gear with some COV, plus BIS TBL evolving items. Tank is also a berserker, though. I need to find out what that proc is and if there's any way to avoid it. I kept Geomantra on and that might have mitigated it a bit.

Note: I'm using all TBL Type 5's (skipped TOV's Type 5's) so every Curio I get is like a +25 HDex upgrade. It's a lot of trouble but it's worth it even to only get a few of them.

• 1Like

sukik

So I've been dabbling with live since I've been playing on the tlp's again. Anything Call of the Forsaken onwards is new to me. I've put together a group using my 100 war, bard, wizard and cleric with 2 Merc DPS. I did a few "heroic" group instances to get back into things and I think I'm just going to slowly work through the expansion progressions when I need a break from TLP. Is there anything I should know about, or do right away?

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>

For all my fellow clerics out there who had to stare at a wall counting down to hit your CH key in the rot list on the MT, I salute you and love you :)

• 2Like
  • 1Hodjing
Reactions: 2 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Didn't know where to put this, reminded me of Tyen and his EQ browser shit...but actually real.

Kinda cool idea, they are tryign to port ALL of EQ into unity and actually doing pretty well at it.

Their 0.1.4 version actually has a good amount of support for things. Would be cool if DPG actually took notice of this and ported it, but I don't ever see that happening with the cost of using unity for them.

this thread should get you started if you wanna fuck around.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Didn't know where to put this, reminded me of Tyen and his EQ browser shit...but actually real.

Kinda cool idea, they are tryign to port ALL of EQ into unity and actually doing pretty well at it.

Their 0.1.4 version actually has a good amount of support for things. Would be cool if DPG actually took notice of this and ported it, but I don't ever see that happening with the cost of using unity for them.

this thread should get you started if you wanna fuck around.
Thank you for sharing. I had no idea this existed. I'm very new to Unity and Blender, but I could see myself wanting to get involved in this later on when I have more experience with these tools under my belt.

This is just really cool.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
What is the point of porting it to unity for it to look exactly the same?

No clue, from their own Wiki it just makes it easier for people to create things with under a modern engine and creation tool.

It will likely cause a few issues too with unknown things that are quirky to the OG EQ Code.

I'm up for seeing whats what though.

A while ago someone used their extractor tool to make a "EQ VR" type movie:

who knows what someone will come up with using their stuff. I think their ultimate goal is to allow people to do whatever they want with EQ content, be it from a stand alone server or maybe a small group game.

• 1Like

sukik

No clue, from their own Wiki it just makes it easier for people to create things with under a modern engine and creation tool.

It will likely cause a few issues too with unknown things that are quirky to the OG EQ Code.

I'm up for seeing whats what though.

A while ago someone used their extractor tool to make a "EQ VR" type movie:

who knows what someone will come up with using their stuff. I think their ultimate goal is to allow people to do whatever they want with EQ content, be it from a stand alone server or maybe a small group game.
EQ VR? That may lead to levels of escapism not yet reached by the average EQ addict. Include the old Freeport and Regime Regime would be drooling on himself for hours.

• 2Worf
  • 2Weird Boner
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Probably just for the tools for creation/design.

Many EQ devs have talked about how horrible the tools were for OG EQ. They didn't even have a terrain creation tool until Luclin.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
As someone that messed around with the EQ emulators, I can say that I see a huge benefit to them porting the game to Unity. The fact is that all the emulators were doing is emulating the SERVER side of the game. They were highly limited to what and how you could change in the game based on the specific client the server was coded to interact with.

With the game being completely in Unity (both server and client), it is essentially a 100% departure from any EverQuest code. If you want to add a brand new class to the game with unique abilities that don't exist today in EverQuest, you can do it.

With EQ Emulator, you had to pick an existing class in the game, and modify it as much as the game client would allow. For instance, using a monk as your base class to make a new class in EQ Emulator would be problematic because monks don't have nor regen mana. Then on the other hand, if you used a Shadow Knight as your base class, you couldn't use things like the Feign Death monk ability (not the SK casted version, but the actual monk FD ability) because that was specific to the monk class. There were ways to fuck around with it to kinda get what you wanted, but it was limiting and lead to a lot of crashes of the client. Straight up, it's a hassle to make unique game play in EQ Emulator. People do it, but it is a fucking nightmare to do.

As for why they are using the game assets of EQ in the Unity engine, that's purely cosmetic preference on their part. You could scrap every bit of the graphics in the game they make in Unity, and put your own assets in with what ever level of detail you care to spend the time making. In other words, it looks blocky because the objects they are porting in to Unity are blocky objects from EverQuest. They can be modified, replaced, etc with any level of detail you want, but the initial set of assets they are using in the port are those from the old EverQuest trilogy release.

You could literally take their game (if it was released in open source code form), pull it in to Unity, and replace the human character model with a human model from a modern day game if you wanted. The game engine isn't stuck with the low polygon count graphics you see in the screenshots. Unit can handle everything from low polygon to high polygon and everything in between. That's the point. The Unity engine is flexible and being upgraded all the time.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Probably just for the tools for creation/design.

Many EQ devs have talked about how horrible the tools were for OG EQ. They didn't even have a terrain creation tool until Luclin.

Honestly there is hope that MAYBE the current EQ team will try to use unity but, I think it would eat into their bottom line a TON...

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I guess that makes sense, using it to modify or make new worlds instead of just recreating p99.

I'm pretty sure EQ itself could never go to unity because they just simply will never give development resources or time for that. There's so much technical debt there I imagine it would be hard to justify doing that kind of work.

• 1Like
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 1 users