Everquest - Live Servers

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Used to love manaburning charmed tanks, too bad they "fixed" that shit on live, now very few classes can actually kill a charmed person, but the nerd tears are great when it happens.

kudos

<Banned>
We used to LD tank shit we couldn't kill normally. When someone went LD they'd turn into a 32k HP NPC with stupid amounts of AC and they'd proc way more.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
If EQ was released today spots in the EC tunnel would be sold for real money and you would only have it for a week or whatever. If the majority of your guild was a premium paid member you would get an instanced raid dungeon/boss, if not back to the contested rotation for you.

Grez

Trakanon Raider
As someone who never really got anywhere with EQ, I think what made it great for me was its inaccessibility; without a group you really couldn't do anything or go anywhere except camping for exp/known loot, so it felt like this giant unexplored world with infinite loot and lore possibilities.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
By the way, anyone know how to crank up jewelry in the modern EQ? I think I'm 190ish, and was cutting gems. Painful to spend 10 grand on a stack of sapphires, cut the entire stack and not get a single skillup. Figured by now there's probably some questy gimme way of doing it?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I love these threads. May they continue unto perpetuity.

The only thing I really liked from EQ compared to games that have done basically every aspect substantially better in recent years, is the lack of playerbase. Every real game these days hits 1m followers before it releases, there's dozens/hundreds of professional hacks by the time it releases due to mainstream appeal, and communities from other games gangrape it until they no longer have an overwhelming advantage and then 90% of the playerbase quits.

EQ was a lot more fun when 1/100th of the population currently playing MMOs was involved in the games, and 1/30th of the games existed so that everyone knew that "PVP people play DAOC" and "People who like Anime play FFXI" and literally nobody ever said shit about another MMO except to lament spamming some item in UO to up a stat.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Dude...I did this. I was in Blackburrow and had a shitty computer with the most minimal RAM out there. Computer kept freezing and being a barbarian, you were blind as hell, too. I died somewhere in BB -- I am assuming I fell down the pit and died -- and pleaded help to a rogue. He told me to give him /consent and he did bring my character back up, but he had looted my shit. I didn't know what had happened. ;(

there was a time when slash cmds worked with elided letters so /cons (or was it /con as well. cant remember) worked for /consent. ppl would equivalently coldcall msg them upon seeing their corpse with a bs/scammy reason .. ie wanting to consider them at range because they were testing x out or whatever reason.

i liked that old thread of exploits. trading from a dock->boat dupe. trade screen window dupes. tons of client side hacks. that old post where the dev confirmed the ph for gbs. etc

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I know this is like my tenth response in this thread, but another thing I really loved about EQ that modern games just don't get right is the loot. People can complain all they want about rare spawns, rare loots on the rare spawns, and place holders, but there was nothing like the adrenaline you felt when you saw that rare spawn, and when that rare spawn dropped the rare loot; especially the mobs where you could actually see the rare loot item on them when they spawned. Modern games hand out loot like candy and it all gets homogenized and no loot feels special or makes your character that much better. Add the fact that in most modern games you level so quickly that any loot you do get is pretty much meaningless until you reach max level, it just doesn't feel the same. There were items in EQ that you could get in your 20's that you still used in your 40's, or even to max level.

Finally, the fact that in early EQ most items were not no trade/no drop and had no level limits, and could be sold or traded or used for twinks, and you had a thriving economy. Bind on pick up, tokens that you use to turn in at the loot store, and pay to win, has pretty much destroyed any chance a game has to build a meaningful economy.

• 1Like

kudos

<Banned>
i liked that old thread of exploits. trading from a dock->boat dupe. trade screen window dupes. tons of client side hacks. that old post where the dev confirmed the ph for gbs. etc
You used to be able to crash Vex Thal for a full repop if you dueled someone and killed them in zone.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Gods that made more sense than make believe fairy tales about a zombie in a bath robe.
everquest__the_gods_of_norrath_by_bensaret-d68zgf.jpg

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Come check out Nagafens's Lair Reborn.

Nagafen's lair(Reborn)

1. Progression based duo server up to PoK.
2. Quality of life additions. (Translocators/Buffers but not free rides)
3. Custom flagging/Storyline quests.
4. Fun for the whole family!
5. Enemies are 35% weaker in Classic, 25% weaker in Kunark, 15% weaker in Velious, 10% weaker in Luclin and 5% weaker in PoP.
6. Fableds have a chance to spawn on any monster that has a fabled counterpart.
7. All placeholders have been removed to allow the named a 100% spawn.
8. Items have been beefed by 35% to allow the solo capability to proceed.
9. 2 box maximum to prevent one person powerhousing everything.
10. Quick turnaround on fixes/content implementation.

MQ is OK bu not Active Hacks, no automated Macros. You can just use it for maps, and very simple BCA commands like telling you box to follow you. (No warp, no speed hack, no scast bullshit).
Easy to solo or duo to max level, Naggy, Vox, Phinny, CT, Inny all take like 2-3 people to kill.
Custom Planar, Kunark, Luclin and Velious access quests.

Home | Nagafens-lair-reborn

Oh you guys are back again?

Ryoz

<Donor>
I tried the emulator stuff years ago, but it's better to just hold onto the memories as is. I occasionally get the urge to come back and tinker around, but just can't quite get into it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
16.5 years after I first set digital foot in Blackburrow, and I can still pinpoint exactly where in zone that screenshot is taken from. I probably remember Blackburrow better than I remember my high school.

• 1Like

kevincheese

Lord Nagafen Raider
16.5 years after I first set digital foot in Blackburrow, and I can still pinpoint exactly where in zone that screenshot is taken from. I probably remember Blackburrow better than I remember my high school.

I feel like that's another thing, sort of in the opposite way. Everyone had these wildly different experiences. Like I know every nook and cranny of certain dungeons, and yet others... I barely ever touched. And I can go back to on live and explore even now, in a game I invested almost a YEAR of actual play time just on my main, and still find spots in classic zones I'd never seen before.

Did you know there's a giant fucking waterfall in the south end of WK? I never knew it was there until a year or so ago. I remember someone telling me about their secret place back on live and being like "fuck off that doesn't exist".

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
It's all been said, but having to rely on other classes to get shit done (buffs, ports, heals, corpse runs etc) made it special for me. That and a 56k modem that crapped out on me all the time.

I dropped the hammer fist on my USRobotics modem more than a few times. LEDs popped off from one of the punches, and it still kept me playing. RIP USR external....you served me well.

Fear, charm and stun....all made me "Wtf, computer hard lock on me!" Getting feared was horrible too.

My first time coming out of Xorbb's Gorge I ran into a Evil Eye floating around near the opening in East Karana. It blinded me and charmed my ass from what seemed like a massive distance away. It would blind me then charm me again right as it dropped, and this happened multiple times. I eventually had to drop server for 15 minutes and then log back in hoping I was far enough away. Still to this day is what I think of when I see Observers in any game.

Glad I wasn't the only one who used the cloth map for navigation.

Map with the 1999 version was paper. Thought the cloth version started with Kunark.

Dug this out of my storage shed, wish it was kept in better condition through my various moves since playing. Blacked out my CD key for good measure!!!

DTFWXzV.jpg

QFrF7KX.jpg

WTF is a 3-D accelerator???

• 1Like
The game had a steep learning curve and tight community in a time before social media took off. It "felt" like an alternate reality world and players treated it that way.

Playing EQ in 1999 and 2000 was like attending Woodstock. It was a unique time and place and if you weren't there you missed something special.

• 1Like