Everquest - Live Servers

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Progression achievements, collections or both? I've got so much ground to cover I've bot paid them any attention thus far.

Both IIRC. I know I did both. Progression gives all the major EXP (like 20% for a partisan cheevo and 8% for a merc cheevo during 111-115). Collections I remember being more about getting a whole bunch of AAs, though that might have been because I was capped on levels whenever I'd do those.

I wouldn't worry about specifically doing collections too much, they're kind of a PITA and mainly for completionists. Just keep a lookout for sparkly things and consume them as you get them, every so often you'll get a bunch of AAs from that. There are also Overseer missions if you want to do that lame minigame every day when you log in, that'll get you another 10% EXP or so per day. However Overseer is one of the things that burned me out on the game, and since you're trying to see the sights and spend some time in all the expansions, Overseer isn't something I'd recommend in this situation.

Fight Fire mission (first mission in Burning Lands) is a good thing to farm, since it can be beaten very quickly (can't remember exactly what the trick was but I imagine it isn't too hard to figure out, think it involved triggering the boss right away without clearing, then hitting him with bard knockback-lull and having the bard run all of his adds off, leaving the boss an easy single-pull....or something along those lines). It has a chance of dropping any one of four evolving items (cloak, boots, ring, shoulder, I want to say) and all four are pretty much BIS for TBL and maybe also TOV once they're maxed-out. However it can take a bunch of clearings to get all four of them. I think we'd get an armor drop like every 3 runs or so. Then just wear that stuff while leveling and it'll max out on its own after a while. Try to get all of them so you're getting 4x the evolving at any given time. Since you're doing group stuff and not raids, the evolving armors might even keep being good into COV. Might even want to jump ahead and do this mission a bunch of times, then go back to ROS after that with your new stuff. If it's better than what you have now at tier 1, that is. Bear in mind that they won't evolve until TBL+ zones. So if only a marginal increase, then just wait till TBL and do it then.

TOV has this massive earring quest that requires tons of grinding (about 50% more than the four TBL items) and I don't recommend that one. The result is another BIS item and it does get some use out of TOV itself, but overall the quest is just a PITA.

Once you get to COV, another thing good to farm is Morwenna Undertow in Cobalt Scar. Underwater named, very strong. Surrounded by other mermaids that are yellow at 115 (and thus very good EXP). Morwenna herself only comes with one add and it's easy enough to break them off and split it, then just bounce around taking out mermaids. Morwenna can spawn from any of like 5 or 6 mermaid spawns, so she pops up a lot. Has something like a 1/3 chance of dropping a NON-LORE type 5 heroic dexterity aug that's BIS for like...every equipment slot for any melee class or tank that wants DPS. I farmed like 20 of them. Yeah, it took me a month or so of farming her for like an hour every evening. It was a huge DPS increase though.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
No idea how people will handle 111-115 now. I guess do CoV achievements on a different persona, that might work...for one. If they give big exp like ToV. Not sure about 116-125 or if grinding ever becomes feasible again.
I was wondering this too. I made this thread: 4 months after release, what's your highest persona? | Page 5 | EverQuest Forums

Few people are leveling personas to max level on live, and the people that do are mostly 6boxers that enjoy grinding.

I'm planning on leveling up some personas this year, but will opportunistically do it during bonus XP events. It'll be extremely brisk to get to level 100+, but the grind will set in during ToV levels+ while the kill pace will start to drop as the boon for the cross-persona buffs (mount buff, trophies, heroic AAs, etc) will start to become less significant. I imagine many box groups will also level up awkward class choices because they only want some classes. In my case I want to move from a mage team to a melee team, but I already have a shaman/bard, so I'll be leveling something like

shd
enc
dru
rog
mnk
bst

Which isn't terrible, but the lack of a bard / shaman (much less ones with epics) will be noticeable. I'll probably have to suspend leveling to gear up the shadowknight with very temporary gear regularly, along with increasing their AAs.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've just been grinding my daily lesson, since that's about as much daily play time as I can fit in anyway.

My next persona group, which will be a long way off, will be odd indeed. I want all 3 tanks on one character for no good reason. The warrior is 101, but the Paladin I'll start from 0. Not sure on the others maybe a monk or bst to fill in my melee group, and some characters for a caster group.

Are epics still worth doing at 125? Running a sk/shm/dru/rog/ber/brd, and the bard is the only one with an epic. Only 1.5 though. Might do them for fun, but I'm not sure if they'd be useful or not.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've just been grinding my daily lesson, since that's about as much daily play time as I can fit in anyway.

My next persona group, which will be a long way off, will be odd indeed. I want all 3 tanks on one character for no good reason. The warrior is 101, but the Paladin I'll start from 0. Not sure on the others maybe a monk or bst to fill in my melee group, and some characters for a caster group.

Are epics still worth doing at 125? Running a sk/shm/dru/rog/ber/brd, and the bard is the only one with an epic. Only 1.5 though. Might do them for fun, but I'm not sure if they'd be useful or not.
In that group, ber, shm, shd and brd epics are all must-haves.

“1.0/2.0 epic

S rank: Bard, Shaman, SK, Necro
A Rank: Cleric, Ranger, berserker
B Rank: Warrior, Mage, beastlord
C Rank: Druid

Unknown: Paladin, rogue, enchanter, wizard, monk

Special mention: Necros should do everything they can to get their 2.5.”

“Paladin, rogue, enchanter, wizard, monk
B A C C B”

Necro epic is now C rank tho.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Progression achievements, collections or both? I've got so much ground to cover I've bot paid them any attention thus far.
Doing the hero/paritsan/mercs in ToV will get you from 111 to 115. The collections are 2-3% normal exp and 15 aa each iirc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Both IIRC. I know I did both. Progression gives all the major EXP (like 20% for a partisan cheevo and 8% for a merc cheevo during 111-115). Collections I remember being more about getting a whole bunch of AAs, though that might have been because I was capped on levels whenever I'd do those.

I wouldn't worry about specifically doing collections too much, they're kind of a PITA and mainly for completionists. Just keep a lookout for sparkly things and consume them as you get them, every so often you'll get a bunch of AAs from that. There are also Overseer missions if you want to do that lame minigame every day when you log in, that'll get you another 10% EXP or so per day. However Overseer is one of the things that burned me out on the game, and since you're trying to see the sights and spend some time in all the expansions, Overseer isn't something I'd recommend in this situation.

Fight Fire mission (first mission in Burning Lands) is a good thing to farm, since it can be beaten very quickly (can't remember exactly what the trick was but I imagine it isn't too hard to figure out, think it involved triggering the boss right away without clearing, then hitting him with bard knockback-lull and having the bard run all of his adds off, leaving the boss an easy single-pull....or something along those lines). It has a chance of dropping any one of four evolving items (cloak, boots, ring, shoulder, I want to say) and all four are pretty much BIS for TBL and maybe also TOV once they're maxed-out. However it can take a bunch of clearings to get all four of them. I think we'd get an armor drop like every 3 runs or so. Then just wear that stuff while leveling and it'll max out on its own after a while. Try to get all of them so you're getting 4x the evolving at any given time. Since you're doing group stuff and not raids, the evolving armors might even keep being good into COV. Might even want to jump ahead and do this mission a bunch of times, then go back to ROS after that with your new stuff. If it's better than what you have now at tier 1, that is. Bear in mind that they won't evolve until TBL+ zones. So if only a marginal increase, then just wait till TBL and do it then.

TOV has this massive earring quest that requires tons of grinding (about 50% more than the four TBL items) and I don't recommend that one. The result is another BIS item and it does get some use out of TOV itself, but overall the quest is just a PITA.

Once you get to COV, another thing good to farm is Morwenna Undertow in Cobalt Scar. Underwater named, very strong. Surrounded by other mermaids that are yellow at 115 (and thus very good EXP). Morwenna herself only comes with one add and it's easy enough to break them off and split it, then just bounce around taking out mermaids. Morwenna can spawn from any of like 5 or 6 mermaid spawns, so she pops up a lot. Has something like a 1/3 chance of dropping a NON-LORE type 5 heroic dexterity aug that's BIS for like...every equipment slot for any melee class or tank that wants DPS. I farmed like 20 of them. Yeah, it took me a month or so of farming her for like an hour every evening. It was a huge DPS increase though.

Oh yeah, whatever you do, don't start TOV until at least 111. (TBL might get you through 111 if you do everything, unsure). Because the TOV quest rewards give around 50% exp total per zone, which is just enough to cover 111/112/113/114. However if someone started them early they'd end up having to grind out extra levels at the high end.

Then again maybe not, since COV exists now I assume it'd fill in any blanks that arose. I don't really know how TBL or COV fit into the leveling structure since I played them as they became available and they were treated as AA-only expansions due to the level cap not moving.

Few people are leveling personas to max level on live, and the people that do are mostly 6boxers that enjoy grinding.

I'm planning on leveling up some personas this year, but will opportunistically do it during bonus XP events. It'll be extremely brisk to get to level 100+, but the grind will set in during ToV levels+ while the kill pace will start to drop as the boon for the cross-persona buffs (mount buff, trophies, heroic AAs, etc) will start to become less significant.

I really dislike when they mess around with EXP formulas past certain levels to force people into playing a certain way.

At 101+, EXP from pre-Darkened Sea zones suddenly plummets to the point that ROF and COTF become largely useless (though those damn Gribbles missions are still decent, they're like cockroaches). So you pretty much have to herd into TDS zones, which are very linear (have to progress through all 8 of them in order, basically) and get very hard around the 4th or so zone. Instead everybody just went back and herded into Gribbles missions even more than they were already. Broken Mirror wasn't much better (easily one of the worst expansions IMO), but thank goodness EOK came along when it did.

Then they do the same thing at 111+ where pre-TOV zones are suddenly useless and the lion's share of EXP comes from achievements.

Just don't get why there's a need to mess with what isn't broken.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh yeah, whatever you do, don't start TOV until at least 111. (TBL might get you through 111 if you do everything, unsure). Because the TOV quest rewards give around 50% exp total per zone, which is just enough to cover 111/112/113/114. However if someone started them early they'd end up having to grind out extra levels at the high end.

Then again maybe not, since COV exists now I assume it'd fill in any blanks that arose. I don't really know how TBL or COV fit into the leveling structure since I played them as they became available and they were treated as AA-only expansions due to the level cap not moving.

I really dislike when they mess around with EXP formulas past certain levels to force people into playing a certain way.

At 101+, EXP from pre-Darkened Sea zones suddenly plummets to the point that ROF and COTF become largely useless (though those damn Gribbles missions are still decent, they're like cockroaches). So you pretty much have to herd into TDS zones, which are very linear (have to progress through all 8 of them in order, basically) and get very hard around the 4th or so zone. Instead everybody just went back and herded into Gribbles missions even more than they were already. Broken Mirror wasn't much better (easily one of the worst expansions IMO), but thank goodness EOK came along when it did.

Then they do the same thing at 111+ where pre-TOV zones are suddenly useless and the lion's share of EXP comes from achievements.

The amount of XP the achivements give is fixed, such that if you did the ToV quests early (at like 100 or something) you'd get multiple levels. When I've powerleveled alts I've done them ASAP and you cruise up pretty high. I'd say if you're leveling normally, just do the content when it becomes enjoyable.

DPG likes to change things to add variety (as they've stated before when asked why they changed stuff), but they're not good or careful enough to choose wisely when adding variety, so they introduce a lot of unpopular changes. They almost never go back on their decisions and often repeat them until it comes time to "add variety".

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

So far, I havent really made up my mind on if I like it or not. The biggest problem I have, as I get higher as a new to these expansions type of player, is that I dont know some things that should probably be common knowledge and the guides online expect you to know it too. I need some hand holding if you want me to go from a grind mentality to a quest mentality, and it seems like they dropped the ball pretty hard on that. Though, Im not surprised. Some of the noobie quests arent updated to the new questing stuff and still expect you to walk up to a stranger that doesnt respond to hails and say the correct thing. Gee, what a good time 1999 was. Whats confusing about that is the previous NPC you talk to, had the hyperlink keywords in the quest dialogue. Half ass it much?

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Is it still the case that you're basically forced to use new models in modern eq because of mounts and shit? or is there a fix for that nowadays?

Also, anyone on FV know what these are worth nowadays?
1714310200568.png

Last edited:

sukik

So far, I havent really made up my mind on if I like it or not. The biggest problem I have, as I get higher as a new to these expansions type of player, is that I dont know some things that should probably be common knowledge and the guides online expect you to know it too. I need some hand holding if you want me to go from a grind mentality to a quest mentality, and it seems like they dropped the ball pretty hard on that. Though, Im not surprised. Some of the noobie quests arent updated to the new questing stuff and still expect you to walk up to a stranger that doesnt respond to hails and say the correct thing. Gee, what a good time 1999 was. Whats confusing about that is the previous NPC you talk to, had the hyperlink keywords in the quest dialogue. Half ass it much?

So is grinding for xp at later levels largely out? Do regular quests give more exp, or just the achievements? If it's just he achievements, how do they expect buy in for personas?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So is grinding for xp at later levels largely out? Do regular quests give more exp, or just the achievements? If it's just he achievements, how do they expect buy in for personas?
Largely out, yes. But not totally out. I think people leveling personas build up merc task / mission routes or whatever.

Also note that you also need to regrind the AAs for a persona, even the general ones.

sukik

Interesting. Doesn't seem like that model would leave any room for XP pot use. Or the persona feature really, outside of boxers. Do people even bother using their lessons most days going from 110 to 125? I do, but it nets less and less. I like the mission system, but the zones have been empty enough that I haven't really sought them out much after doing cotf.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Is it still the case that you're basically forced to use new models in modern eq because of mounts and shit? or is there a fix for that nowadays?

Also, anyone on FV know what these are worth nowadays? View attachment 526586
Probably shitloads since they nerfed that quest so you can only do it once and the new ones are notrade even on FV. My BER there has a bag full of them from 15 years ago. c_c

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Probably shitloads since they nerfed that quest so you can only do it once and the new ones are notrade even on FV. My BER there has a bag full of them from 15 years ago. c_c
Lol yeah that's when I got bags and bags full of them. I remember getting the quest down to like 50 minutes each and I just did it nonstop during the event. I used loads of them over the years, but haven't played in forever. I don't remember them having that "Dusty" tag haha.

There were 0 in the bazaar. Last time I sold them like 10 years ago they were 200k iirc. But I imagine maybe the fact that dbg sells exp pots might limit how much they can sell for?

I tried asking in general and /shout but nobody responded. So if anyone knows what they're worth I'd appreciate it!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Damn, if I were you guys I'd definitely offload all those FV potions. I don't remember there being a "Dusty" tag either.

Each potion is basically ten LOTDs. To figure out what they're worth, I looked at the store bought potions.

50% for 4 hours = $10
75% for 2 hours = $17

Elixir of Scholarship is 100% for 5 hours and can be subdivided.

That one guy is right that a premium should be attached to short-term pots since they better fit people's schedules than 4 hour ones. Apparently DBG agrees because the 2 hour potion is substantially more per hour than the 4 hour potion even when accounting for the EXP difference.

So if the 50% store pot is $12.50 for five hours and the 75% store pot is $42 for five hours, then the "premium" there is basically doubling the price over what it would be normally for a linear-growth 75% pot (about $19 for five hours). I think $42 is too much. However by DBG's math, a 100% pot should be about $60 for five hours, maybe more when including the premium of shorter durations.

...so really these things are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them. Under normal circumstances I'd say $20-30 / 2 or 3 kronos each is a fair price and much better than the deal you'd get from the SC store. However, taking into account that nobody's really leveling (or rushing to level if they are) on FV, these potions don't have much value when it comes down to it. If you can get 1 krono each I'd call that a win. Now if a new leveling expansion was on the way that increased the cap to 130, then I'd say the value of them could jump to 3 krono each for powergamers who want to be prepared.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Damn, if I were you guys I'd definitely offload all those FV potions. I don't remember there being a "Dusty" tag either.

Each potion is basically ten LOTDs. To figure out what they're worth, I looked at the store bought potions.

50% for 4 hours = $10
75% for 2 hours = $17

That one guy is right that a premium should be attached to short-term pots since they better fit people's schedules than 4 hour ones. Apparently DBG agrees because the 2 hour potion is substantially more per hour than the 4 hour potion even when accounting for the EXP difference.

So if the 50% store pot is $12.50 for five hours and the 75% store pot is $42 for five hours, then the "premium" there is basically doubling the price over what it would be normally for a linear-growth 75% pot (about $19 for five hours). I think $42 is too much. However by DBG's math, a 100% pot should be about $60 for five hours, maybe more when including the premium of shorter durations.

...so really these things are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them. Under normal circumstances I'd say $20-30 / 2 or 3 kronos each is a fair price and much better than the deal you'd get from the SC store. However, taking into account that nobody's really leveling (or rushing to level if they are) on FV, these potions don't have much value when it comes down to it. If you can get 1 krono each I'd call that a win. Now if a new leveling expansion was on the way that increased the cap to 130, then I'd say the value of them could jump to 3 krono each for powergamers who want to be prepared.
Does exp even work the same way nowadays? I thought I read that it was all tied into achievements/missions and not grinding mobs. Do the potions even affect that?

Morrow

Trakanon Raider

50% for 4 hours = $10
75% for 2 hours = $17

Ah right, they're essentially 5 hour 100% exp pots. But even kinda better in a way because you can split it up.

But yeah what Kithani said above made me wonder if anyone even uses them outside of leveling lower level alts since they seem to have fucked grinding hard in later levels?

I guess I'll try to offload them at 1 krono each. I guess that explains why there were none on the bazaar, since the cap is still 2.1m? And kronos are like 5m+ on FV I think?

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I'm so salty. Sometime over the last 10 years they nerfed Coral headed Mace which worked at level 1 despite the rec level. It had a huge proc rate mod so you'd proc constantly. I had a fully twinked cleric I was gonna go level just for fun. Boooo. Any FVers know the next best cleric alternative melee? Nothing can compare to nonstop 150dd procs tho ugggh.

Edit: my prelim research says it was thanks to fuckin mischief. They didn't want these weapons used on mischief. Many are nerfed. Somehow the bard sword is one of the few that isn't. But FV staples like Mace of the Ancients and Equifinis are all gutted. I'm actually MADGE. Who fucking nerfs twink items after 10 fucking years?

Of course it was to sell exp pots for alts on Mischief, sigh. Nothing else makes sense. Fuck I hate DBG.

Last edited: