Everquest - Live Servers

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
For me it was a combination of the unknown, the social ability, and its unforgiving nature. There had never been anything like it for me.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I could not imagine losing a corpse, especially early in the game. I'm pretty sure that would have caused me to quit too.

I remember people taking up donations for gear and plat fir people that lost their corpse to bugs. Was another reason EQ was great.

Thinking on that, they were probably just scamming people. Another reason EQ was great.
these were prekunark corpse losses when there was lots of player griefing still going on. one dude died in guk and he couldnt get back down there so he /consented a monk who swore he would bring him his corpse. the old system when you consented it opened your corpse to be looted by the consentee. so sure enough my friend got his corpse, but everything he had but some shit items and bound gear was gone. he reported it and good ole fucking GM Uini told him basically tough shit since he consented his corpse, but he was nice enougfh to give him some starter gear. ya know shit that you could buy off a vendor. this was a lv 50 with manastone and other top goodies now gone and expected to start all over again as a noob. so yeah those were tough days.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I know guilds that lost a number of corpses in plane of fear. Tried to break in on a Sunday and shit went bad and thru a couple of other bad attempts they never got it back. That's when there was only one guild that could do it and then half of them said fuck it and left the other halves corpse up there, kind of snowballed from there and some just said fuck it and that was that.

Schags

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I had the entire guide for the shaman epic all printed out and I would take it with me on long car rides to read. I loved reading all the quest text and lore and looking forward to all the stuff I'd need to do to finish it and slowly marking off each part done as I progressed. Felt good. At some point I really just want to log back in and finish my epic 2.0. I have the worst part, the orb from anguish, the remaining parts I have I think are just some random quest mobs and dialogue. I want my fucking Spiritwalker title.

Heh, my buddy who got me playing and I used to print guides out at work. There were a number of times we'd back the printer up and our boss was trying to get actual work shit printed out but our EQ stuff was going out. You could tell he was always pissed at us. I'm surprised he didn't fire us.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
One of my fondest early memories on Emarr was getting whispered out of nowhere to help some pug Fear Raid drag their corpses. It was a whole bunch of people from random guilds had gotten together and decided they were totally raiding fear... with no idea what they were doing, since it was a whipstitch monstrosity of a raid.

For 72 Hours. Every time I logged in that weekend, there were corpses needed pulling. People left the raid, new people joined the raid, and all they ever managed to do was create a pile of corpses for me and the monks to make money dragging to "safety" (which was never actually safe due to all the idiots in the zone training). The attempted raid ended Monday when they stopped being able to get new people when folks went back to work.

Pretty sure at least a few of those corpses ended up rotting.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Another thing that made this game great is all of the memorable experiences. There's a reason why threads like this (and emulator versions of the game) keep popping up. It was a significant game in a lot of peoples lives. We made a lot of both friends and enemies as a result.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
The lack of though when creating everquest accidentally made it great, every game that's overly though out becomes a dull and stale piece of shit, everquest has that unique weird flavor of retardedness that we all enjoy

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
- A complex faction system. Combined with religion, it added another layer of customization to your character. It also added some life to the world, where you had to be aware of the type of people that inhabited certain areas. Different parts of the world actually felt like different parts of the world. What's the difference in WoW between Elwynn Forest and Dun Morogh? Snow? As long as you play Alliance there is no difference beyond the cosmetic. Compare that to the difference between East Commons and Gfay. As a human necro I'd be tolerated in EC, but likely at high risk in Gfay, despite both being the home of "good" races.

Not only that, but the ability to grind faction with non-city factions. Not many games allow you to have faction with the "monsters" so you can use their cities. I think that might have been the beauty behind Velious. Using the Giant city merchants and bankers? That's just fucking cool.

One of my favorite memories of EQ had to do with playing with faction. Mistmoore originally was non-kos to Druid wolf form, so that place became like a 2nd home to me. I'd farm the shit out it without having to worry about training mobs all over the place.

I'm amazed that Yantis made that much. I was excited that I 100% funded my first car at age 17 with money made from selling plat. My family thought it was pretty crazy too, and it kind of changed their minds about how much time I spent playing.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I remember selling my account for $700 and then stealing it back.

God I was a little piece of shit.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
i remember when kithicor changes first went through and you werent safe even if you ran along the walls.
Better yet, try logging out in the middle of Kithicor just before Halloween, and relog a couple days after without having been told.

That was in the days where /consent would let the guy loot your corpse; the bard who brought me back mine kept the cash, but I was so happy getting it with all the gear that I didn't really care.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
JFC! The OG plat seller in EQ. Haven't heard from Yantis in over a decade. Looks like that plat empire turned far more lucrative than I ever imagined.
Problem is that it wasn't that sustainable, he lost most of it to those chinese sweat shops, and properties like that cost a shitton of money to maintain. Which is probably why he's selling.

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
The danger.

Possibly the worst zone for a sense of impending doom was MM Castle. If you were unlucky enough to be caught running for the zone out by a high level castle train, as a lowbie you often got charmed. You'd then spend the next what felt like eternity randomly smacking other players also trying to zone out. Then came the long walk of terror back through the canyon and into the castle as some helpless puppet, knowing exactly what was going to happen when charm wore off. If you were really unlucky death didn't come quickly and you were recharmed several times over and when you finally met Loading ...please wait, you were left wondering how the fuck you were going to get your corpse back.

Edit: Oh, and factions..I fucking loved factions.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I played a monk at lvl 50 before I went full on Cleric for years. After doing Plane of Fear we were calling it quite and since we just cleared the zone I went to look for the portal out that was in the temple. This was maybe right before Kunark was released. I had my cleric at lvl 45 or something at this time as I was a no life poopsocking Middle Schooler.

Anyway, since maps available were player made and not the best. I think i had three different versions sent to me through emails that were floating around. This was even before that site EQmaps came out that consolidated player made maps and rated them for quality/accuracy. So I didn't truly know where the click out was as I just got ported out normally. For whatever reason we didn't have a druid or wizard around a that time and the other melees had some of those gate potions that shamans made.

Not wanting to wait I stumbled around the PoF for... quite some time. Never found it and shit started to respawn. So I ran as close to the wall as I could and feigned /quit. Waited two weeks playing my cleric until i could safely login and get ported out by a druid there.

Man that was a tense moment for me. But looking back I thought it was COOL as fuck that you had whole communities of essentially cartographers mapping out zones and making them in Visio or whatever tools they use to make them. Some shitty, some really good. All slightly different. Just added so much flavor to it all.

The same for crafting sites that had recipes listed because finding them in game was total AIDS. It wasn't until Velious that you could actually get good shit from tradekskills. But Tradeskilling in EQ had SO much flavor compared to other games.

The totally unknown of the game, emergent gameplay. I tried to explain this to some WoW only era friends about shit like the Monk Epic quest where it never told you what items he actually wanted and if you give him the wrong shit he just eats it. They couldn't even understand that or just thought it was dumb/added frustration. Which is totally true but still.

Other shit I remember clearly like trade scamming people on my alt in the first six months of the game to get items like Paw of Opalla and that Cleric quest armor. Which led me to play a Cleric. Scammed an Exe axe and other shit out of people with various acts of deception. This was when these items were worth BIG money and were top of the line since Vox/Naggy hadn't even been killed yet. Later scammed a dude out of a Fungi Tunic. I was an asshole and 15, so whatever.

Oh yes, the infinite value I got out of my anonymous trading alts.

Last edited:

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The first time I hit level 20, I wanted a sweet surname and the one I wanted to make had an ` in it, so I had to petition for a GM to put it on for me. So I throw my petition in and as I'm waiting, I'm in the deep end of the FoB pit pulling some high greens and light blues to pass the time while trying to be careful not to die. End up pulling a mob too far back up a ramp and pulled a scorpion from the field behind me and got double-teamed down. Of course as I'm running back to my corpse is when the GM sends me a tell, but I deleveled and couldn't get my surname. So I go back to the pit, pick a cleaner spot and level back up to 20, put my petition back in and went back to killing the easy shit. Eventually end up getting a shitty pull where a bandit I grabbed ran by a dog which aggro'd the bandit then decided to switch to me when it got close and I got killed and deleveled again. And of course, that's when I got the GM tell again and once again had to go back and relevel before they could give me the surname. So I say fuck it and I get 20 back and then go sit in Cabilis at the Haggle Baron shop. So I needed something to pass the time, so why not level my Beg skill? Sure enough, shopkeeper gets pissed at me eventually and kills me. I logged off for the night after that.
One of the most EQ stories I have ever heard, lul.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I found that house. Here you go.
www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/371-Hessar-St_Grants-Pass_OR_97527_M19125-10321
Picture from google maps of the grounds.
FhBVBUZ.jpg