Everquest - Live Servers

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Racial bonuses are awesome and give your game extra immersion. Racial/class exp penalties are about the dumbest idea ever... but then again, they were no more/less punishing than most of the other game mechanics at the time.

Iksar were always the most interesting balance of racial bonus/penalties. Infravision, Regeneration, Foraging, Increased AC bonus, and Swimming skill bonus. The cost, can't wear plate, -20% racial exp penalty, KOS faction penalty to all races.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Playing an Iksar Warrior when they came out was an interesting experience. You pretty much had to do their Iksar Class Armor questline in the 30s/40s because you couldn't wear any of the normal warrior quest/twink gear. The Iksar weapon quests were just cool. It was like having a mini-epic just for your race-class combo. Being able to wear your Warrior Pike on your Back was a neat, if mostly superfluous feature. I think the Iksar Shaman cudgel was ranged-slot equippable in its final levels too, if I remember right.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Iksar were definitely the most interesting race to me. Playing Iksar was like playing an entirely different game. I wanted to make an Iksar Shaman. But was far too invested in my Cleric obviously. A DE cleric was disliked in a lot of the cities enough as it is. To be KOS in evil and good cities is crazy.

Starting on Kunark. Super hostile continent far as fuck from anything. If you had no friends/were just starting playing. Iksar was an incredible hard mode way to play the game. But also utterly fascinating. Taking the normal boat routes to and from places was harder, had to learn to sneakity sneak into basically every place. Or exploit some faction turn ins just to use the bank near EC or something when you were trading shit.

If you didn't stumble upon a wizard or druid somewhere around Kunark leveling up an Iksar. It would take forever to get off the continent. As most the higher level players would congregate in KC/Dreadlands/Seb.

They never went far enough with stuff like Iksars and when PoK came along it destroyed the one thing that made them interesting. Race became meaningless for all races at that point too.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
to an extent, even Velious destroyed the danger of being an iksar. they started out non-KoS in Thurgadin just like everyone else, and their tanks were able to get the same armor as everyone else.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Not being able to use JBB on my shaman was kind of balls. I guess it saved me a ton of money from having to buy one though.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Not being able to use JBB on my shaman was kind of balls. I guess it saved me a ton of money from having to buy one though.
I had two JBB. I got both in one marathon group down in OS king roon. I used Nbg rules since i was the only shm there. Not long after i realized that having two jbb was stupid considering you cant double DD and it had no stats. The jasarth banded bracer had good stats and was a common drop so i got one of those and banked the extra jaundiced bone bracer. I later tried to sell it and then got a lot of shit from the people in that OS group, claiming i "scammed" that bracer, blah blah blah. I never scammed anyone in my life and i honestly was only looking at it as getting the full jbb set. I ended up stop selling the jbb and later when i joined da'kor i just gave it away to a guildie who was also a good friend from launch. Jbbs cause drama.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
SK tanks weren't really a thing until PoP anyway.

They were undeniably the best tank for single groups. So much better than warriors, and even paladins.
Brael and I used to run shit before he eventually went on to dominate every SK in the game or something.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
We would have them tank the un-mezzable adds from the Emperor fight. That's about the extent of it, though.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I think we used SKs for cursed or hp as well as the emperor offtankers in ssra. Maybe even the big worm. sk tanks were our plan b

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had two JBB. I got both in one marathon group down in OS king roon...

King room? Aka Mycondid Spore King fungi tunic dude? Which makes no sense, as JBB drops in crypt across from the Heirophant room. King is way down in the basement with the shrooms!

Sterling

El Presidente
King room? Aka Mycondid Spore King fungi tunic dude? Which makes no sense, as JBB drops in crypt across from the Heirophant room. King is way down in the basement with the shrooms!
Maybe he meant Emperor Chottal and not King. Details aren't necessarily his strong suit.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I meant the room that rogue unlocks. I thought some king spawned there or behind that mausoleum. Dude its been 16 years

Halfling Warlord represent!! Loved that toon =) racial sneak pulling (once I learned about it) gave me a huge edge.

Here's another thing that I loved about EQ and missed in all MMOS that came after:

Classes sharing spells!! I thought it was so cool that several classes would have access to the same spell lines, but get them at different levels. And even still, their unique spells made casters feel so distinct from one another. This is something I really miss in modern MMOS, where everything feels like a game of floating numbers with inconsequential spell effects...

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I liked being able to research spells for other people, but that wasn't a widely used (or necessary) ability.

If memory serves me, I could also research for other classes, as long as I used their combine item. A wizard used a Grimoire, for example.

Inque

FunEmployed
I remember being a Human Enchanter and chose Agnostic, which really made things a pain in the ass (or so the guidebook said) as it was one of the rarest class combinations at the time circa 2000. It was always good for a laugh when I would charm elephants in South Karana to do a /pet attack (Name) and watch Dumbo chase down it's prey halfway across the zone. Those were the days...

PvP servers were a great time and made you build comradery with others to survive. Played on Vallon Zek for a good portion of time, most people were afraid to wear the good shit unless they were rolling with a group and had a Cleric to keep'm alive. If they were near dying you'd see them start stripping their gear to bag it (since gear loss was a thing for about a year or so after launch on the Zeks).

Being an Enchanter, I had the ability to blind people, which made it equally lulzy when they died cause they spent most of their time raging due to not being able to see their screen, lol.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I remember being a Human Enchanter and chose Agnostic, which really made things a pain in the ass (or so the guidebook said) as it was one of the rarest class combinations at the time circa 2000. It was always good for a laugh when I would charm elephants in South Karana to do a /pet attack (Name) and watch Dumbo chase down it's prey halfway across the zone. Those were the days...

PvP servers were a great time and made you build comradery with others to survive. Played on Vallon Zek for a good portion of time, most people were afraid to wear the good shit unless they were rolling with a group and had a Cleric to keep'm alive. If they were near dying you'd see them start stripping their gear to bag it (since gear loss was a thing for about a year or so after launch on the Zeks).

Being an Enchanter, I had the ability to blind people, which made it equally lulzy when they died cause they spent most of their time raging due to not being able to see their screen, lol.
the blind spell was the most bullshit spell ever, diddnt a VP dragon have that shit? pissed me off every time we encountered one.. not only were you blind, but it turned your whole screen black. you couldnt even see your chat text.

btw for spells we had that bot on IRC that would read every single spell in the game or on test back to you. was very helpful. was it Biny's?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Best trade I ever made was in Classic I traded the Cloak of Shadows from Guano Harvester for a Manastone.
I was a Druid.

Was awesome playing when nobody knew anything :D