Everquest - Live Servers

Reca

Trakanon Raider
DBG had a 50% sale off TBM expansion, those of you who know this already everytime DBG puts out a new expansion they sell it to you with all previous expansions included. With the remaining playerbase of EQ knowing this, very few people were biting on the purchases. They then made a public announcement that they were in fact removing all bonuses tied to that expansion if they were not purchased within that sale.

Get ready for a MASSIVE Expansion sale!

Don’t miss your chance to get huge discounts on the Premium or Collector’s Edition ofEverQuest: The Broken Mirror. The unique bonus items that come with EverQuest: The Broken Mirror won’t be available with an expansion purchase once pre-orders begin for our next expansion!

EverQuest - Empires of Kunark

So, with this expansion they're offering three tiers of purchase prices

Standard: $34.99
Collectors: $89.99 (Wtf?)
Premium: $139.99 (W....t.....f???????)

The differences between standard->collectors->premium are ingame power improvements for their character based on familiar/mounts, 40 slot bags and a teleporting items. With the already pre-existing station items like exp pots and familiars/mounts with buffs this sounds like the company is in dire troubles (if that wasn't already a surprise by now).

A brief review of DBG's one year past...

- They pushed out a sub-par (modest?) expansion (TBM) that required significant patches/fixes up to 2-3 months after it's release, mixed with minor updates to as far back as even a month ago.
- They allocated a bunch of time to release two new TLP servers: Ragefire/Lockjaw and then destroyed their population by releasing a new TLP server Phinigel.
- They added another server Quarm for people to race and kill OMM (Kept one guild's attention for approximately a month).
- Phinigel has been riddled with issues since it's release with broken instances and unlock timers since its inception (Including this week I guess a few of the Luclin instances had issues still)
- Market's incredibly inflated with Krono, DBG offered a promotion days before the release of WoW's expansion in hopes of hooking people in for another year.

What kind of a development team do you think they have left? How much time do you think they've been able to allocate to an expansion that was just announced and expected to be released in little over a month? I honestly think this expansion will be the death of Everquest for people who are not playing on Phinigel.

Last edited:

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tuco Tuco 10k AA's per class is a large number.

Even if that number includes new ability + it's 10 levels to count as 10 and not one AA. 10,000??

I'm clearly not understanding something.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tuco Tuco 10k AA's per class is a large number.

Even if that number includes new ability + it's 10 levels to count as 10 and not one AA. 10,000??

I'm clearly not understanding something.
Not sure what you're asking here, but I'm saying that if you maxed out your AAs and had some 15k AAs, once EoK releases and you max out your AAs you'll have 25k.

The list of AAs (without cost) is on the beta forums and it's pretty lackluster. 1k of those AAs are wrapped up in new class specific "Synergy" abilities that augment one of your abilities. Warriors fare pretty well in that the synergy is applied to one of our top attacks, Shield Topple (and the new Shield Break). The synergy procs a 5k rune from it on your group. SK/Paladins get it too, and they all stack, so that's nice.

Other classes don't fare as well, bards' synergy applies to a mana costing, mob pushing DoT. Necro's synergy is on a mana drain spell nobody uses. Mage's synergy is on their top damage spell.

From what I've seen, none of them are really amazing abilities. Just a modest boost.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I look at RoK as expansion aimed directly at me. But it doesnt consider the bulk of the the players who dont have the hours to put into the game. I forsee a huge drop off in active player cause by the grind of RoK. Followed quickly by the number of raiding guilds.

Last edited:

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I look at RoK as expansion aimed directly at me. But it doesnt consider the bulk of the the players who dont have the hour to put into the game. I forsee a huge drop off in active player cause by the grind of RoK. Followed quickly by the number of raiding guilds.
Pretty much, since they can't give the players enough zone/progression/raid content to last a year they come up with this great idea to add 10k new AA, which sounds great in theory except the replay-ability of the little content we get sucks.

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
Same. Or rather I have no faith Daybreak can actually turn nostalgia for Kunark into anything remotely fun.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
New expac looks fucking whack. I guess that's what happens when you have three people trying to churn out an expac in a year. Leave the sacred Kunark name out of it and those motherfuckers better not visit Velious next year (they will).
They already have revisited some of Velious with the Rain of Fear expansion. We got eastern wastes, kael drakkel, crystal caverns and north temple of veeshan.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The 10k AAs aren't as bad of a grind as you think. Not because 10k AAs is a small amount, but because most of them aren't these "must have" AAs that will make a huge difference. If you can quickly grind out the first thousand AA's, you've probably gotten the really good stuff. The next couple thousand will probably get you most of things that matter a lot.

I rated the new warrior ones (37 groups by my count) from 1 (who cares, ex: archery accuracy) to 5 (get ASAP). 3 of them are rated at 5, 5 of them are rated at 4. 4 of them are at 3, including the 10x1k AA Synergy ability. I'd say that the only things I'd consider pushing hard for are the 5s and 4s, and I bet I'll get them via doing the normal EoK progression. I'll get the 3s relatively quickly too, of course, but there's not a huge rush to turn it into this big grind.

I'm also betting on there being a new "Gribble" or Dead Hills instance that gives a quick way to a bucket load of AAs. I really hope there is because I don't want to do a Gribble "daily" with my lessons every day for months.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I'm also betting on there being a new "Gribble" or Dead Hills instance that gives a quick way to a bucket load of AAs. I really hope there is because I don't want to do a Gribble "daily" with my lessons every day for months.
I wouldn't bet on it, they haven't made any really simple/easy HAs since that compare to them in terms of exp for amount of time invested.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Have you tried the EoK missions? (I haven't).
Nope, i am just assuming that they are going to be like the ones we got with TBM and TDS. I wouldn't be surprised if they gut the gribble ones even worse to get people to play in new content.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised either way. I haven't heard anything concrete about XP rates in EoK. I know the task rewards can give 30AAs, but I don't know if there's some AA pinata. I think where it concerns leveling most people are more focused on the tradeskill leveling they're obliged to do. I like the idea they're instating, where in order to level your tradeskills you need to learn more recipes, but I think it will be less interesting to execute.

I expect that eqtrader will have a giant spreadsheet of recipes to check off and everyone will spend a half hour or so per tradeskill marking them off, then creating massive shopping lists of recipes that they have left to learn. In the end it'll be less likely being a master baker traveling to Le Cordon Bleu to learn how to properly prepare Coq au Vin, or to a street vendor in Bombay to learn how the cooks on the ground prepare samosa, and more like a logistics director completing ordering forms for a school cafeteria.

At the very least I think you'll see a steady stream of people venturing to every part of Everquest looking for goofy tradeskill items that aren't in the bazaar. I'm guessing that fletching will be the most tedious while being the easiest, since there are so many permutations of each arrow and bow, but not that many base items.

Last edited:

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The 10k AAs aren't as bad of a grind as you think. Not because 10k AAs is a small amount, but because most of them aren't these "must have" AAs that will make a huge difference. If you can quickly grind out the first thousand AA's, you've probably gotten the really good stuff. The next couple thousand will probably get you most of things that matter a lot.

I rated the new warrior ones (37 groups by my count) from 1 (who cares, ex: archery accuracy) to 5 (get ASAP). 3 of them are rated at 5, 5 of them are rated at 4. 4 of them are at 3, including the 10x1k AA Synergy ability. I'd say that the only things I'd consider pushing hard for are the 5s and 4s, and I bet I'll get them via doing the normal EoK progression. I'll get the 3s relatively quickly too, of course, but there's not a huge rush to turn it into this big grind.

I don't see that coming from the perspective of a necromancer. Basically all the spell focus aa are useful.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've always really liked EQ2. I played it briefly on release and then again very briefly a few years ago. I got to the point I could solo Sebilis and got distracted by something else. I logged in today and I am completely lost. My experience with the game was almost entirely solo and I don't even know where to begin. For those of you who still play, would one of you be willing to get with me in game and/or Skype/TS or whatever and show me the ropes?

My main character is an 83 Bruiser and I have a 95 Dirge that I think I remember boosting from 0. I played a dirge to 50 before the boost, but I haven't touched the 95 it as I would be a detriment to any party.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Just one class is going to be a mad stupid long list if you include the focus AA

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Not sure on other classes, but no new activated aa for wizard; all are passive. Think that's pretty much the theme for this expansion. Each class gets one or two new lines with the rest being extensions to existing lines or spell focus.