Everquest - Live Servers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Safe to setup a fully automated group as long as I'm not being obnoxious around others?

85 is the highest you can start?

Might actually break my tlp addiction
You'd be rolling the dice every time you left the PC and let them run. You could easily bot up to max level using repeatable instances that you abandon, but once you get there, there aren't really aren't that many isolated spots to run a bot crew that gives you top group gear.

Based on what I've seen as long as you don't dominate a camp for more than 12 hours or whatever, and your bot setup isn't that aggressive, I doubt you'd get banned. But it just takes one person who is pissed you're camping their ghoul assassin and reports you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lost

<Bronze Donator>
i doubt they're more aggressive than TLP servers and currently theres one guy camping 6 abcs and 3 discos with KISS since july 4th and hes fine. lol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lost

<Bronze Donator>
I resubbed to try this again and managed to inadvertently step into nuclear-level drama twice in one week. Is the entire game like this now?

A couple hours after I resubbed someone offered to help me get me some gear in GMM. He invited me to his guild and I did a few missions with him. Nothing went out of the ordinary. The next day I'm finding myself being openly mocked in general chat. Apparently this guy has a history on the server and I find I am persona non grata with everyone now simply by association. I get mocking tells from half a dozen people I don't recognize, apparently many people assume I am one of this guy's alts and refuse to be convinced otherwise.

I confront him about this and he immediately starts talking about how all these people badmouthing him are part of a Satanic conspiracy to discredit his "divinity." Like, he literally started claiming he's 100 million years old, was Jesus Christ, taught the English language to the neanderthals, that the Sun has fire in it because he threw the devil in there, that he used to play basketball on Jupiter with other immortals and it's an unlivable gas giant now because they "used up all the oxygen." He also doesn't have his powers anymore because Satan controls an army of lizard/human hybrids which secretly run the US government and which captured him and tortured him for years to take his powers away. I swear I am not making any of this up.

I drop out of this guy's guild and sever contact with him, figuring this would pass in a few days. It did not. I got myself better gear over the holiday weekend and once I was able to molo RoS named I figured I'd try TBL. It's hard to find flag groups but I managed to get the wishing lamp item from someone offering free taskadds and asked in general chat if anyone could campfire me into the TBL zones. I was immediately dogpiled again, this time with angry people pissed off about how that wouldn't be "earning" it chiming in alongside a large number of other people that openly announce I am another alt of the crazy guy and that no one should help me or speak to me. So this whole experience went to shit at light speed.

dude what a story rofl and on live?! id change my name, sounds like a small community. man that guy must have really pissed people off.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I also play on Xegony and yeah, that Wieldhit guy is the resident cancer of the server. The least of the guy's transgressions is trying to screw people over on transactions or so I've heard in general chat. Many people have him on ignore nowadays but from what I do know about him through reputation, the event/behavior described above is totally believable about the guy. Just seems like a straight-up douche.

It's shitty that you, as a returning player and unknowing of the guy's rep, got roped into his drama.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i hope im not narcing on this guy, but he probably shouldnt be live streaming Torment of Velious Beta footage
i beta-ed all the expansions til i retired and i never told anyone shit.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
i hope im not narcing on this guy, but he probably shouldnt be live streaming Torment of Velious Beta footage
i beta-ed all the expansions til i retired and i never told anyone shit.

Are they really still against streaming beta footage?
Any publicity/content should be welcomed.

Most games are willing to show unfinished content these days.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Are they really still against streaming beta footage?
Any publicity/content should be welcomed.

Most games are willing to show unfinished content these days.
i assume showing unreleased game testing would be a nono. but this world is upside down now. so who knows.

Sancus

Trakanon Raider
Nah, there's explicitly no NDA for this beta, nor has there been in a few years. Streaming it is fine.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
People are encouraged to share whatever.

If it wouldn't take 5 hours I didn't have to set up I'd love to play through ToV with my boxed group in beta. Right now people are saying everything is stupid hard which is exciting. But I'm betting it'll get nerfed in beta, so I'm missing my opportunity to fight the #realshit.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Having played on nearly every TLP server to date made for EverQuest and starting over numerous times on various Live servers (trying to respark the flame and get on the Live EQ bandwagon), I've come to realize that there is one thing that would make me stop going back to TLP servers and throw my hat in to the Live EverQuest ring for good; de-mudflating the game.

It's not just the "playing with other real people" that makes me love the the "Classic through Omens of War" era of EverQuest. I used to think that was it, but it's more than that. Trying many, many times to get in to current era Live EverQuest has made that vary clear.

The big factor that makes modern EverQuest so unappealing to me is the mudflation of stats, spells, combat abilities, activate-able AAs, and augmentations. There's just too much shit.

At the same time, I in no way would like to see EverQuest paired down to the level of World of Warcraft. WoW takes it way too far in the other direction.

If modern EverQuest was to do the following, I would be all in:
  • Pair down spells, combat abilities, and activate-able AAs only amounted to needing 2 hotbars to be effective in the game (a 3rd for specific Raid encounters)
  • Combine many of the "extra" stats on items to where that you don't feel like you are reading a novel every time you look at a piece of new gear. It should be fairly obvious to you that a new item you are looking at is an upgrade for your class/role
  • Make an easy to manage augmentation gui that takes a lot of guess work out of figuring out which augment is best for you and what slot to put it in
  • Fix /follow to work as good as the 3rd party software does. Seeing as the game is designed to where you NEED a group to do most anything worth doing and most people box to accomplish that because of time restraints in the real world, the game should be adjusted to make boxing less annoying. You shouldn't see your boxes go running off in the distance, circling around you, or swimming/levitating above/below you. They should stick to your ass like shit on a stick
  • Convert all quest drop items in the game to quest/task/mission achievement flags that get set automatically when you kill a mob and there "would have been" a quest item drop. I realize they make money off of selling big bags, but this is just ridiculous at this point. You shouldn't have a million bag slots full of quest items that you have no idea what they went to or if you even need them anymore
  • Speaking of quest items... Add a background color system to items in bags to make it easier to instantly see which items are crafting materials, quest items (if they dont go away), vendor trash, gear, etc. Simple shit like this can declutter the game, and make it more inviting to people like myself that get all stressed out when you see the cluster fuck that is my inventory of a thousand different things
I'm sure there are plenty more I will think of after I hit post, but these are the main points right now.

The point is, there is NO REASON that modern EverQuest can't be just as popular as old EverQuest. Quite simply, the game has just gotten to bloated over time. It's understandable considering the game is nearly twenty years old now. There's no way anybody could have seen where it would end up and prepared for it back then, but if Daybreak Games wants the game to continue on for another twenty years, they should do some major clean up.

Just my 2cp.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They've been reducing the mudlfation of the game quite a bit recently. In the ToV release (due Dec 18th btw, announced yesterday) they consolidated a few dozen different abilities throughout the game, including the spire buffs for all the classes and a few other ones (elemental forms for mages, the imperators precision/charge/command for warriors and some others).

A few years ago they removed a ton of extra stats. There are still quite a bit of stats and balancing all the focus / type 3 augs is a bit of a headache. In the last expansion they added luck which just adds a new mechanic to the game.

The game is still a pretty huge jumbled mess of different mechanics though. I actually prefer it that way because there's always another set of mechanics I can work on or improve on. If they reduced the number of abilities etc until you could fit everything you needed on 2-3 bars (and simplified everything else about the game like the buff stacking, number of random bullshit you need) I'd probably get bored and move on pretty quickly.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Makes me wonder if a game could provide the sort of depth of experience that modern EQ can provide without needing you to do enough research to write a dissertation to understand it all. Specifically the layered progression systems and nearly endless sense of progress you can get in a 20 year old mmo.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a simple question. If I wanted to play again, what server is a good populated server? I am not hardcore but I miss this game and would like to see everything they have since added to it. I still cannot believe this game is still going. I also am considering doing a progressive server, but I enjoy the Beastlord to much as a class and that did not exist initially.

If there is a guild going that is active, I would certainly entertain that idea as well. I also would like a server that does not just have players Multi-boxing everything. I know they started that new no-boxing server but apparently that one ended up not being that popular.

Last edited:

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
If I were you I would join Selo. I think the level cap there is about to raise to 75 and its still pretty active. Expansion unlocks are quick and it will soon have the fastest XP of any server I think. Just my 2 cents but I believe Faceless is looking for Beastlords as well so it could be a good fit.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I have a simple question. If I wanted to play again, what server is a good populated server? I am not hardcore but I miss this game and would like to see everything they have since added to it. I still cannot believe this game is still going. I also am considering doing a progressive server, but I enjoy the Beastlord to much as a class and that did not exist initially.

If there is a guild going that is active, I would certainly entertain that idea as well. I also would like a server that does not just have players Multi-boxing everything. I know they started that new no-boxing server but apparently that one ended up not being that popular.
If you was going to do a Live server, Firiona Vie is a good option. It is one of the more populated servers, and since most everything on the server does not have "no trade" on it, you can save up to buy needed raid-level gear later on. If you're not going to join a guild and raid all the time, this is the way to go.

On the other hand, if you are looking at a TLP server, there are two good options right now; Mangler and Selos.

The Selos server moves very fast with a new expansion opened every month and accelerated experience gain. If you want to join a raid guild, and bang through the expansions, this is a good option. Just keep in mind that a new expansion opens every month, and as soon as people get the needed levels/AAs for that new expansion, they stop logging in except for raids. Towards the end of each month, the server is pretty much a ghost town. That's just my experience though. Your experience may be different, and that obviously has a lot to do with who you know and hang out with in game.

The Mangler server is a much higher populated server than Selos, but it is currently in the Shadows of Luclin expansion which will allow you to play the beastlord. This server opens a new expansion once every three months, so you will have plenty of time to catch up each expansion if you are not a hardcore player.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Makes me wonder if a game could provide the sort of depth of experience that modern EQ can provide without needing you to do enough research to write a dissertation to understand it all. Specifically the layered progression systems and nearly endless sense of progress you can get in a 20 year old mmo.
No, probably not without adding complexity via micro, which EQ kind of has these days if you really push it.

• 1Like