Everquest - Live Servers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
It is a good thing, now if any of your fuckers want to buy the EQ IP, it would be easier for daybreak to sell it off.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
989 Studios -> Verant Interactive -> SOE -> Daybreak -> Darkpaw -> Fires of Heaven

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Interesting. Maybe now that they are their own studio EQ will start seeing more of it's own money to reinvest into the game. I would imagine the game is still profitable. I forget if it was E Elidroth or someone else who said it but I was under the impression that the bulk of the money EQ brought in was basically used to fund other projects instead of used to make EQ better.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He definitely said as much and common sense would support it. I would guess that 80% of every dollar EQ generates gets funneled to other things or the companies bottom line.

I doubt this change does much for their future direction or outlook though. No way they are making these changes to to channel an influx of money into them. It just makes it easier for the company to sell off the studio or close them down.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
The writing was on the wall when Sony sold Sony Online Entertainment. It's common business practice to purchase a failing franchise, divide up it's assets in to more profitable categories, and sell them off for a profit.

If only we had a rich baseball player that had mad EQ nostalgia and would swoop in and purchase Darkpaw Games because I guarantee you the studio is available to purchase if someone offered enough. They wont say it's for sale. They will deny it to the bitter end, but you don't divide up assets like this just because it seems like a fun thing to do lol.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Riot should buy it... "Tryndamere" name was his EQ character name.
They could have a runeterra & norrath crossover/same universe.

Give it another 5-10 years and anyone could probably scoop up the entire EQ franchise for peanuts.
Maybe we can pool together our retirement funds :D

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Big Tiddy Firiona Vie skins for Sona in league, obvious synergy.

Last edited:

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here's some analysis of the available info about 'EQ 3.'

Our board, here, gets a little bit of screen time at 9:20

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I wonder if EverQuest 3 will end up using that Disney style character graphics that EverQuest Next had. God I hope not.

I would give anything if they would take the original EverQuest character models, and just recreate them for the next game. To me, the old blocky original EverQuest characters are a particular art style that I find enjoyable. I honestly can't stand the character models that came in Shadow of Luclin, and the character models in EverQuest Next looked like they were designed for children. I mean come on... The EverQuest community are not kids. We need dirty gritty shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
EQ Next models didn't even look like they belonged to a Everquest game especially looking back on the footage in that video. Nothing about that game at all seemed like anything EQ related other than the names involved. Fucking Ponytail and his tony the tiger rip off. What is that guy even doing these days? Is he even in the game industry anymore?

Luclin models did grow on me after awhile though.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh sweet, naive Summer children. Pantheon is more real than EQ3. lol

If you wanted to sell the franchise, you would break off the studio, and then you would start to leak rumors of something new and exciting in development. Have your current Dev's (all 3 of them) draw up a design document and make some concept art. Interest and intrigue gets sparked, asking price goes up.

• 2Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
EQ gets uglier the better art tools they get their hands on. Imagine how hideous their "artists" could make a modern game!

• 2Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Who is worse? Pony Tail or Rian Johnson.

Pony Tail
-Merits: He ruined future EverQuest
-What His Coworkers said: Incompetent, delusional, liar
-Other: He looks like an old lesbian

Rian Johnson
-Merits: He ruined future Star Wars
-What His Coworkers said: Total cuck, arrogant, cringe sense of humor
-Other: His name fucking sucks, so you know his parents are bad people also

• 2Worf

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I love EQ2 art style, it is one of the main reasons I prefer it over WoW. I couldn't really get into WoW, I tried so many time including the Classic server

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
This could mean a slight uptick in development imo. DAOC did this via Broadsword and they went FTP and made some pretty big changes. You could argue they were shitty changes, but they did do stuff. Could be a positive I suppose, we'll see. Hopefully something dope comes out and we never play EQ again.... lol

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
One of my many irons in the fire is new models for eq1 using existing old model anims and with the old models as a kind of concept art / reference. I'd also want to do extra textures so items could have their own looks instead of just cloth/leather/plate + a color.

But I'll probably never get around to it :D

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
I wonder if EverQuest 3 will end up using that Disney style character graphics that EverQuest Next had. God I hope not.

I would give anything if they would take the original EverQuest character models, and just recreate them for the next game. To me, the old blocky original EverQuest characters are a particular art style that I find enjoyable. I honestly can't stand the character models that came in Shadow of Luclin, and the character models in EverQuest Next looked like they were designed for children. I mean come on... The EverQuest community are not kids. We need dirty gritty shit.

I feel the same, I find EQ 1's style very charming. Even EQ2 is alright. But I also consistently play Quake and Doom, both 20+ year old games

That aesthetic can be pushed to its absolute limits though.

• 1Like