Everquest - Live Servers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Never played past PoP, but always seemed like people weren't fans of the whole discord storyline.

Could just be people correlating it with when EQ went to shit, but either way I'd think they would steer clear of bringing them back

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Never played past PoP, but always seemed like people weren't fans of the whole discord storyline.

Could just be people correlating it with when EQ went to shit, but either way I'd think they would steer clear of bringing them back

They brought them back for SoD and that expansion is pretty popular. I think it's more about how people associate it with GoD 1.0 and the game taking a nosedive.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I loved the discordian plot. Tunat and Mata are some of the coolest villains in EQ.

“Overlord Mata Muram says 'So. You are the mighty god killers. I am not surprised you managed to make it this far. I did expect there to be more of you, do you really think so little of me? I have destroyed [worlds] where animals roam with power that would cause your gods to tremble.'”

• 5Like
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 5 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really enjoyed GoD and OOW. SoD was great too, but Brekt was kind of a let down. Getting to him was fun, but once you kill him he just... dies. No last words, no threats of impending doom, no emotes, no nothing. He just falls over and you get loot. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't even think he's the "boss" of the discordlings right? Just some general like OMM.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I really enjoyed GoD and OOW. SoD was great too, but Brekt was kind of a let down. Getting to him was fun, but once you kill him he just... dies. No last words, no threats of impending doom, no emotes, no nothing. He just falls over and you get loot. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't even think he's the "boss" of the discordlings right? Just some general like OMM.

Yeah, I think I might have been guilded with you when SoD got taken down on Phinny. Like 90% sure of it. I remember this discussion in /gu about how Brekt just kinda fucks off after the fight and there's nothing else. It's definitely kinda lame after everything before that.

The Discord stuff is left (intentionally I hope) vague in general. What is Korafax, their home planet or a weird space-tree? Dunno. Is Kuua their home planet or just a world they conquered? Dunno. I don't think we've seen their homeworld because I don't think they have one. They just expand through the cosmos, taking on different forms as a legion (absorbing conquered races) as they continue to weave their way outward. They're an amorphous mass of destruction that lacks order, whether a home territory or a clear leader. The closest we can get to a "source" of the Discordlings is the thing about generals being spearheads for discord as a concept, or whatever it was.

I'm not sure if Brekt was intended to be Mata's boss or Mata's equal, head of a separate wing of Discordlings. 90% it was the latter, but I'm given pause by Event 6 in Citadel of the Worldslayer being called "Overlord Muram" on the lockout screen. There's no Overlord Muram in the actual event, but you fight (reanimated corpses of?) a bunch of bosses from GoD and OoW in rapid succession before continuing onto Brekt. I have a suspicion that the original idea there was to have Overlord Mata Muram himself be the last of these reconstituted bosses right before Brekt, hence the name of the event, but the idea was dropped during development. If that had been the case, then it'd clearly position Brekt as being above Mata in the chain of command. However since the Overlord doesn't actually appear, it makes more sense to the lore to have them be equal and separate generals.

With Tunat merely a minion of Mata, I think it's safe to say that there are two more Discord overlords out there that could be utilized in the future. It would be great to get that level of science fiction again in EQ, dropping us on a new world etc. And maybe we could get some answers as to the nature of Discord.

There's also something in the lore about the "Alabaster Tower" and "The Thing's Eye" making themselves apparent during the final battle with Discord, but I have no idea whatsoever what those are referring to, if they're something that happened already and I missed it, or if they're part of scrapped story ideas that don't mean anything. Maybe The Thing's Eye is the core of Discord that controls the four generals. I don't know. I just know I'd really like to see more done with this concept. The Luclin remake actually looking good, the 64 bit enhancement, and the devs seemingly having a lot more money/resources to work with going forward have given me some high hopes that future EQ expansions will be worth sticking around for.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, I think I might have been guilded with you when SoD got taken down on Phinny. Like 90% sure of it. I remember this discussion in /gu about how Brekt just kinda fucks off after the fight and there's nothing else. It's definitely kinda lame after everything before that.

The Discord stuff is left (intentionally I hope) vague in general. What is Korafax, their home planet or a weird space-tree? Dunno. Is Kuua their home planet or just a world they conquered? Dunno. I don't think we've seen their homeworld because I don't think they have one. They just expand through the cosmos, taking on different forms as a legion (absorbing conquered races) as they continue to weave their way outward. They're an amorphous mass of destruction that lacks order, whether a home territory or a clear leader. The closest we can get to a "source" of the Discordlings is the thing about generals being spearheads for discord as a concept, or whatever it was.

I'm not sure if Brekt was intended to be Mata's boss or Mata's equal, head of a separate wing of Discordlings. 90% it was the latter, but I'm given pause by Event 6 in Citadel of the Worldslayer being called "Overlord Muram" on the lockout screen. There's no Overlord Muram in the actual event, but you fight (reanimated corpses of?) a bunch of bosses from GoD and OoW in rapid succession before continuing onto Brekt. I have a suspicion that the original idea there was to have Overlord Mata Muram himself be the last of these reconstituted bosses right before Brekt, hence the name of the event, but the idea was dropped during development. If that had been the case, then it'd clearly position Brekt as being above Mata in the chain of command. However since the Overlord doesn't actually appear, it makes more sense to the lore to have them be equal and separate generals.

With Tunat merely a minion of Mata, I think it's safe to say that there are two more Discord overlords out there that could be utilized in the future. It would be great to get that level of science fiction again in EQ, dropping us on a new world etc. And maybe we could get some answers as to the nature of Discord.

There's also something in the lore about the "Alabaster Tower" and "The Thing's Eye" making themselves apparent during the final battle with Discord, but I have no idea whatsoever what those are referring to, if they're something that happened already and I missed it, or if they're part of scrapped story ideas that don't mean anything. Maybe The Thing's Eye is the core of Discord that controls the four generals. I don't know. I just know I'd really like to see more done with this concept. The Luclin remake actually looking good, the 64 bit enhancement, and the devs seemingly having a lot more money/resources to work with going forward have given me some high hopes that future EQ expansions will be worth sticking around for.
Indeed we were!

I was under the impression that the events in the Citadel of the Worldslayer were from a alternate timeline. You have Firiona and Lanys in stasis pods you have to rescue after their capture from a conquered Norrath in the trophy room, and the OMM event I always just understood as being THE mobs from GoD and OOW not reconstituted. They would have never died from a successful campaign to take Norrath after they conquered Kuaa (I think thats the name of the GoD continent?). I thought it was named OMM because you were fighting mobs from OMM's invasion IE the GoD snakes, AM from Anguish, etc. Did seem weird he wasn't there though. I could be miss remembering things some.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
What are the implications of a 64 bit client? Can someone do a ELI5 concerning it? I read an article that Daybreak has been in the works on this for years and yet I've also read that it fundamentally means nothing... just more ram to help with server crashes which wasn't that big a deal to begin with.

So what gives, techies?

• 1Hodjing
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What's a 2021 capable group to kill OMM look like these days? 2 level 115's I assume?
I don't even know what that is. Old ManMcKenzie? That's annoying to group against because it lowers your level. Overlord mata muram would die from one of my zerkers farts.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What are the implications of a 64 bit client? Can someone do a ELI5 concerning it? I read an article that Daybreak has been in the works on this for years and yet I've also read that it fundamentally means nothing... just more ram to help with server crashes which wasn't that big a deal to begin with.

So what gives, techies?
Go read the Mischief thread. This is discussed there.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

So what gives, techies?
Impossible to know, but probably nothing immediately noticeable.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I don't even know what that is. Old ManMcKenzie? That's annoying to group against because it lowers your level. Overlord mata muram would die from one of my zerkers farts.
You troll you.

I'd love to play a level 115 cle in current raid gear to be blown away at the power discrepancy of them to me, a top 5 geared era cle back in DoN or so era when I quit.

Because people are selling gear in the baz that makes my top end stuff from that era look like lincoln logs. It's depressing that common zone drops dwarf my gear that we grinded our asses off as a guild to achieve. Such is mudflation!

• 1Hodjing

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Go read the Mischief thread. This is discussed there.
I read it and am still confused. Secrets went into detail but it's not ELI5 talk. Fundamentally I know it's a good thing but what are the things I as a player would notice immediately?

• 1Hodjing

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I read it and am still confused. Secrets went into detail but it's not ELI5 talk. Fundamentally I know it's a good thing but what are the things I as a player would notice immediately?
Less frequent crashing.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Less frequent crashing.
As I was playing (casually) there was no crashing at all on my server but my server may not be the most populace (General chat feels really dead on Erollisi).

Are the TLPs going through frequent crashing?

Also, how would this affect new server launches. That's one thing where I know the experience was horrible. Like, abysmally horrible every. single. time. Is this a leg up for smoother logins for that?

• 1Hodjing

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Was this a strong, frequent complaint from the playerbase though?
When you have too many actors with cash shop customizations in the same area, with Luclin models on, and different hero forge models on, in a high-fidelity latest expansion area, you can crash quite easily and frequently due to texture memory consumption.

It probably doesn't happen if you keep to yourself, but if you idle in POK long enough on a busy server, I can imagine it would be rather frequent. Said issue would happen regardless of your hardware, as it's a limitation of 32-bit.

The decision to make this happen was almost certainly one sole factor:
They didn't want the crash to happen anymore, evaluated the cause, and the coders saw a high frequency of reported crashes when compared to other types of exceptions being reported from the game clients. Tell bean counters, "Players are seeing this issue and it's because of items we're selling", and they will green-light it.

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
When you have too many actors with cash shop customizations in the same area, with Luclin models on, and different hero forge models on, in a high-fidelity latest expansion area, you can crash quite easily and frequently due to texture memory consumption.

It probably doesn't happen if you keep to yourself, but if you idle in POK long enough on a busy server, I can imagine it would be rather frequent. Said issue would happen regardless of your hardware, as it's a limitation of 32-bit.
Oddly, this makes sense, even though it doesn't... as a plebe. Thank you.

I guess what the 64 bit upgrade really means in the zeitgeist is that Everquest is still alive and healthy in 2021, right?

• 1Hodjing
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
As I was playing (casually) there was no crashing at all on my server but my server may not be the most populace (General chat feels really dead on Erollisi).

Are the TLPs going through frequent crashing?

Also, how would this affect new server launches. That's one thing where I know the experience was horrible. Like, abysmally horrible every. single. time. Is this a leg up for smoother logins for that?
Dead servers would likely see the issue on extended playsessions. Though, probably infrequently if you didn't visit newer expansion zones.

TLPs could see the issue if there's too many assets being shuffled in and out of a single high-traffic area, like the Commonlands or The Bazaar.

This would have nil impact on new server launches beyond potentially making them more unstable until the 64-bit transition is completed smoothly. Nothing like this ever goes smoothly.

Personal note:
I am sure MySEQ/MQ2 is going to have some issues initially with pointer types being 8 bytes, but nothing they can't overcome over time.

I guess what the 64 bit upgrade really means in the zeitgeist is that Everquest is still alive and healthy in 2021, right?
Pretty much. If they ever want to do more detailed areas in the future, this is the first step in doing so.

Changing the platform architecture to 64-bit isn't changing out the engine. So all this nonsense online about "EQ Remake soon?!??!?! OMG!!11one" is heretical and nonsensical.
That's not saying it's impossible, but I don't think this architectural upgrade is going to magically create art assets out of thin air.

The Lantern EQ project has a much higher chance of success there, as they're doing things the 'right way', even if not official. I would be skeptical of anyone who says that solely changing architecture would result in new character models and a complete revamp of the world.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What's a 2021 capable group to kill OMM look like these days? 2 level 115's I assume?

One level 100 could probably handle OMM.

All I know for sure is that he whooped my ass when I tried to solo him at level 80, then he basically evaporated when I soloed him at level 115.