Everquest Mysteries

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Masakari

Pattern Recognition Expert
<Gold Donor>
Choosing between various factions for gear in Velious and being KoS was a pretty fun aspect for the end game but I get what you are saying above. Things are so structured and controlled with the illusion that you can choose your destiny kind of takes the surprise and exploration aspect out of the game. The penalties in WoW are also soft, so even if you make a mistake, it wouldn't truly be a learning experience. But the games are different, EQ was more a sandbox where WoW is more constructed, controlled, and polished. As nostalgic as I get about EQ, I enjoyed the challenge no matter how bad those corpse runs and experience losses or transit times were. Made you feel like you had more control of your destiny and the world much bigger. Of course, because of that, your average EQer was sinking a lot of time into the game which conflicts with the casual philosophy applied to WoW and not everyone has that time but oh Everquest, will I miss you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Well said, Ukerric.

EverQuest worked because it established a set of rules (factions, spells/abilities, monsters, items, respawn times) and then let the players loose to do with it what they wanted.
Not that, but what EverQuest got right is that it let things go pearshaped at any time.

Forgot a runner in a dungeon? You could expect anything from 2 to 20 mobs to drop unannounced. Forgot a runner outdoor? Nothing happens for 30mn, and then, suddenly, out of the blue here he comes back.

As I said, the moments that strike you is when things go offscript. That's what you remember years later, that's what you talk with people around beer (or milk, or whatever).

In World of Warcraft those moments are completely confined to the tightly tuned raid encounters. That's where things don't go as expected; where you win with 2 people still dancing across the Heigan room, or where you had the mob at 5% then Soandso missed his interrupts and half the raid gets charmed.

Outside of - real - raids? Never happens.

Unless you (the designer) is capable of accepting that players should be able to fall thru the cracks in your game, you're not going to get that "everquest experience".

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Still blows my mind to this day that people failed Heigan or Frogger. Maybe the classic version of Naxx was harder, but even on the most difficult setting - Heigan still killed the same people and the same people still lived.

I was at a colleagues office the other day and he was playing League. I had no idea that there was even a bracket for people that bad. Like theres just so many levels of bad that I think we just dont know about because we've been playing games for so long that we are accustomed to grouping and playing with equal or better skill level. He literally just walks out and attacks people and hopes for the best. Made me think of every time I have seen someone stand in fire/acid whatever in WoW. Im curious what the percentage is of players in this skill bracket. Cause thats some scary stuff!

• 1Salty

Juvarisx

Florida
Still blows my mind to this day that people failed Heigan or Frogger. Maybe the classic version of Naxx was harder, but even on the most difficult setting - Heigan still killed the same people and the same people still lived.

I was at a colleagues office the other day and he was playing League. I had no idea that there was even a bracket for people that bad. Like theres just so many levels of bad that I think we just dont know about because we've been playing games for so long that we are accustomed to grouping and playing with equal or better skill level. He literally just walks out and attacks people and hopes for the best. Made me think of every time I have seen someone stand in fire/acid whatever in WoW. Im curious what the percentage is of players in this skill bracket. Cause thats some scary stuff!

The classic version was way way faster for the heigan dance compared to wotlk

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider

I'd say the majority of casual gamers, which make up a lot more of a demographic than hardcore gamers based on shit like EQ, WoW, SC, League, DOTA, etc.

Thing is, if you're part of a top tier guild or you're in Masters league in SC for example, you have no idea what is going outside of your little bubble. There's retards running around everywhere asking if Hunters should stack Intellect or Stamina.

Most of the people I met in EverQuest while leveling and the various guilds I joined... great people, but once I hit max and joined a raiding guild, I never saw those or heard from those people again unless I randomly came across them in a major hub or they asked me to come help them on some shitty "family" raid. And inspecting them revealed everything you needed to know. We're a small minority but we find it normal because we frequent this nerdy ass forum where everyone is a min/maxer. Ffs, I became good at SC because people like Tenks would whoop my ass continuously until I improved.

Ever see someone who's not a gamer play something like Dark Souls? Pretty sure my friend still hasn't beaten Bloodborne.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
did anyone have any special catchphrases you used often in /guildchat>
back in the day we had all kinds of stuff we always said at raids some of it was like code. during luclin we had some disgruntled members who rage quit and somehow their spouse or "little brother" would log on and go anon so they could read what we were doing and then send messages to our competition and before we knew it they were showing up at our raids or attempting our mobs using the same strats we discussed in /gu. it forced us to also go anon during our explorations into zones so if somebody would do a /who all magister it would show nobody online.

if say we were having a raid in luclin the guild MOTD was "get your ass to Mars!" you know where" that usually meant meet in a neutral location where each group was told where we were heading" if we had certain spots where we took mobs we had nicknames. in PoG there was a pull spot where we would bring mobs for clearing the way to tunare. i came up with the nickname "tunare's twat" the female members gave me shit over that, but our GL loved it so every PoG fest he would say, ok run right to the twat, NOW. in Vex Thall, we had a certain room on the second floor that if you even looked at the walls it would aggro all the shit from 3 rooms at once. so me and the rest of the healers and casters would go to keep shit slowed or mezzed in safety. one time i yelled out by accident, "get into the cunny!" instead of cubby and so from then on it was known as the 'cunny' (i see a pattern here). fun times.

we also had a catchphrase before we started a big fight, was always

Koryo tells guild: we ready?

somebody : yeah, lets kick this pig! then like 20 others would repeat it in chat.

so now whenever i hear that term i get instant flashbacks to some raids.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
if say we were having a raid in luclin the guild MOTD was "get your ass to Mars!" you know where" that usually meant meet in a neutral location where each group was told where we were heading" if we had certain spots where we took mobs we had nicknames. in PoG there was a pull spot where we would bring mobs for clearing the way to tunare. i came up with the nickname "tunare's twat" the female members gave me shit over that, but our GL loved it so every PoG fest he would say, ok run right to the twat, NOW. in Vex Thall, we had a certain room on the second floor that if you even looked at the walls it would aggro all the shit from 3 rooms at once. so me and the rest of the healers and casters would go to keep shit slowed or mezzed in safety. one time i yelled out by accident, "get into the cunny!" instead of cubby and so from then on it was known as the 'cunny' (i see a pattern here). fun times.

During my final years on Stromm server, when I was in Final Door, the guild leader at the time - Acoma - was HILARIOUS. He used to come up with great things in the middle of raids, often times so funny people would fuck up. Some people didn't find it humorous because it might have wiped us, but nonetheless it was shit that withstood the test of time.

Like the burrito fight (i cant remember the exact mob name - insanity crawler maybe?) right in the middle of the thing, he was like (in all caps) "Come on!! Herd those adds like wild, chopped off penises... into the corral!" He also was frustrated at some raid fight one night and was like "This raid.. fucking sucks. I'm telling you. This shit is gayer than when gay went to gaytown and ordered a big hot steamy pile of gay with a sideorder of homosexual".

I dunno, maybe you had to be there, but that dude was fucking hilarious.

I also remember from another guild, it came out that the dude that was MTing AoW was cheating on his girlfriend with some other cleric in the guild, and the girlfriend was the main healer officer and it came out right in the middle of the AoW fight WHILE the dude was MTing it. The drama was insane, but I wish I can remember the full context.

I do miss the good times of EQ drama.

• 1Like

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Not sure if this has been mentioned but EQ1 Anniversary (18th) started yesterday.

Free Heroic character for any existing account that logs in.

Double XP until 31 March.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Not sure if this has been mentioned but EQ1 Anniversary (18th) started yesterday.

Free Heroic character for any existing account that logs in.

Double XP until 31 March.
heroic upgrade on a non prog server? i logged in last night and tried to upgrade on my old server and it wanted money for a sub.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Just to keep this thread alive:

• Was there ever a trick to getting the cyclops to spawn in SRO or in the Ocean of Tears?
  • Who here remembers Sgt Slate while leveling?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Just to keep this thread alive:

• Was there ever a trick to getting the cyclops to spawn in SRO or in the Ocean of Tears?
  • Who here remembers Sgt Slate while leveling?
One of the former devs posted the AC spawn cycle. There was one ph where he had a 10% chance to spawn but only at night.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The OOT Cyclops was static spawn, so it was just a kill loop until it spawned.

The SRo one had a set of 5 PH, all of which would be wandering. Daytime it would be "a wandering madman", nighttime the ancient cyclops. Respawn was 24mn (8h in-game).

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Ahh I remember something about targeting the wandering madman in SRO back in the day but never knew if it was true.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I feel like it continued a little while into WoW but EQ guilds front pages turned into comedy hour from all the shit said in game. I remember thinking many times about how fucking fun some of those guilds must be because they shit that people would say was hilarious!

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
That's some good stuff.... It's amazing how other MMO's really never garnered any attention like EQ. Though accidentally in a lot of ways i'm sure, it really was one of the last of it's kind.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This video (and all of the video's this guy puts out) really symbolize why EQ is one of the most amazing games ever made. I played EQ as much as anyone, but Miragul's Highway was unknown to me.

I know a lot of people chalk this type of thing up to broken or unfinished content, but to me it is world building, immersive, and the kind of lore that appeals to me. I don't need or want to know everything about a game. I want there to be some legends and lore that don't really have all the blanks filled in.

I learned as much about EQ lore from other players as I did from the game itself. That is the sign of truly successful world building and lore to me.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users