Everquest - Phinigel server

Zaide

TLP Idealist
FFS, how casual slackmode were you guys!?? My server's casual mom and pop guild had killed RZ / Sol Ro and were in all 4 EPs before GoD release. I would place that guild as a dead center average for server. You must have really been in a total shit scrub guild wiping to Caprin or some such nonsense.

I remember casual guilds simply not raiding. Guilds back then were a vehicle for social interaction for most players.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
There were tons of groups going 24/7 in the first tier zones when PoP was new, at least on my server. No one cared about gear, all you needed was a tank, slows, and a healer that wasn't asleep. I ran a couple alts to 65 with shit gear no problem.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The hard zones didnt start until tier 2-3 anyway. I was doing PoD, PoJ too, lol.

Yeah, i think even on Phinny, its a bit different than EQ live back in 2001. This is not the same code. There was many many passes along the years that made shit easier by leaps and bounds.

Even the people you are playing with are probably 80% all harcdcore peeps from back in the day. which is leaps and bounds above what your average EQ schlep was back in 2001. Just the simple fact that you dont have to perform corpse runs upon death to get all your shit back makes shit 100% easier and way more people willing to try shit because lack of consequences for for fucking up.

So you have...
1) experienced EQ players, some with over 10-15 yrs of experience
2)Many many patches since PoP that made shit easier (power curves of players increased)
3)No corpse runs
4)People know which AAs are more important than others now, so lack of waste, more efficient use of AA
5)People know those places/events like backs of their hands and know what it takes to beat them.
6)Instanced raids make way more top heavy guilds with many many more geared out people than back in the day.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
The hard zones didnt start until tier 2-3 anyway. I was doing PoD, PoJ too, lol.

Yeah, i think even on Phinny, its a bit different than EQ live back in 2001. This is not the same code. There was many many passes along the years that made shit easier by leaps and bounds.

Even the people you are playing with are probably 80% all harcdcore peeps from back in the day. which is leaps and bounds above what your average EQ schlep was back in 2001. Just the simple fact that you dont have to perform corpse runs upon death to get all your shit back makes shit 100% easier and way more people willing to try shit because lack of consequences for for fucking up.
Well said. A LOT of sh*t was tweaked along the way on Live, PoJ flagging easier, flagging requirements removed etc.

Early EQ was fun but much of it post Velious and esp Luclin was compelte crap on release, group and raid content wise. I'm speaking for group content here but we have some archives of the Furor rants that contain the essence of the same truth. EQ around PoP was already mostly dogsh*t.

IMHO it had nothing to do with being a scrub or not, or a no-life teenager or not. You cannot blame the players for poor design. Whoever designed post Luclin expansions really did not have much at all of even a hint of a fooking clue.

On Rallos Zek things were even more difficult because of pvp. Gear and raid progression overall was a lot slower so *gear check* issues were even worse than on regular servers. The average EQ schlep was indeed.....as someone else put it, quite a scrub. If they did not have the flexibility or playtime to hitch their scrubby a*s hide to a semi organized guild to afk through raids and get geared/flagged.... they would be stuck in schlep mode :)

Anyhow, all just part of dumb*ss design sh*t show that was EQ post Velious. These core flaws were worse at schlep level than at raider player level. Wow *fixed* these sorts of issues by wisely removing such large scale content blocks except for raid tiers.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I never really understood why they had to put in those unnecessary cockblocks. I mean the popspckers are gonna poopsock their way to victory no matter how many key and cockblock quests you throw at them, all it does is it hurts your bread and butter, the schlep core gamers.(Which I was one of, lol) Its not like EQ didnt publish an expansion every 8-9 months anyway, no one was going anywhere with all this shit to grind, including AA which was brilliant on their part, but also caused a huge divide in power levels between core gamers and the poopsockers as time went on. It ended up being like a gearscore in WoW but without the gear.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
I never really understood why they had to put in those unnecessary cockblocks.
It ended up being like a gearscore in WoW but without the gear.
Probably had no clue what they were doing and just winging it by gut feels (*good!* while being pushed by beancounters @ SOE (*bad) to make more money? Need a healthy ballance of both. But in truth that probably sounds too harsh: hindsight is close to 20/20 ..... 20 years later.

Obviously the EQ core design team and their goals must have changed a lot as they grappled with the underestimated dedication of hardcore teenie poopsockers. I have never seen a good insider accounting of what the core design & production teams looked like at Verrant and SoE though, would be interesting to hear some postmortem stories about who did what why :).

Blizzard certainly did not innovate from scratch: they immitated and refined a lot from EQ, building upon and learning from EQ's mistakes and succeses.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
with Planes of Power i think they were hoping that they would keep the raiders happy for a lot longer than they did. look at their next two efforts -- LDoN and LoY. it was a year and a half between PoP and GoD, and the devs wanted to take even longer than that. the original vision of EQ was never one of endless powercreep.

which isn't realistic -- people need that carrot dangling in front of them.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Hard to not start getting burn out on Ragefire, this wait from now till end of May is going to be brutal on the server. Probably be 10 people playing by then. Wake up every day and curse the idiots who voted for six month unlocks.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm curious if coming back to play is a good idea... I stopped playing just before velious launched and people are farming quarm now. Anyone care to inform me on what the timeline is for the server and is there still a healthy population? I never got to do GoD because, WoW happened.

gugabuba

Golden Knight of the Realm
So shit happened in the fall and I ended up with pretty limited time to play--about 10-12 hours a week which I spent almost solely in ~72 man raids. Raids that size are awful if your core group of buds don't show up/quit. I dropped the game in December but kind of miss it.

My question for the brain trust here: How would you try to make the most out of this server with ~10 hours to play a week but little interest in doing the full raid grind. Is there even fun group content in the next few expansions? Shit I could farm with a two box? Or should I just try FFXIV?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Also like others mentioned, theres a ton of extra AHR loot there which is pretty close to EP quality.

Frankly, it's better than most EP pieces when it comes to resists, which is what many classes need for Time. "Wishlist" for most classes pre-Time is mostly VT besides a few rarities besides some focii that are worth picking up.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
DL/installed last night and it was crazy seeing pre nerf fungi staff and guise on my shaman lol but I managed to get to the bazaar and see how shit my gear was, when 10 plat items were night and day better in the bazaar, needless to say I had 12k plat and now I have like 2k and I think good enough to start leveling with no aa's.

What should I do now? Stay 60 and get aa or level to 65? I'm so lost coming back, I need direction lol

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Anyone receiving connection errors? Been receiving "Error - A Timeout Occurred" all morning.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah they posted something on the forums, me and many others can't login. They restarted the login server just a bit ago but it didn't fix it.

• 1Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Finally logged on but I have no clue what to be for Phinigel. I've played a healer in every game since 1999 and really just want to turn my brain off and play. Didn't want to get pigeon-holed into a solo class as I may want to group some. Bard, Ranger, or any other suggestions that I can solo with but still grab a group? Do they MGB in PoK like they did on EQMac? I'm so far out of the loop my perspective is completely lost... lol. I just want to be a filthy nostalgic casual :)

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
so do beastlord dots remove MOTM? lol

Yep. Two L61 BL dots from two diff BLs remove MOTM. Makes the mobs blurrable, too. Strange times.

Also, have fun with those celestial healing pots. 4250 healing every 2 minutes for everyone in the raid. Can soak most AE without even needing group heals, mgb CR/wood/para, etc. Shit's sad, yo.