Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

gugabuba

Golden Knight of the Realm
Question about dz lockouts.

If my guild does NToV on a Sat. Can we then wait till tues before going to do west on that day. If we did would we be able to do ntov and west the following sat/tuesday?

I am assuming under this scenario we get no trash loot. But i dunno about splitting the bosses as such.
Yeah this works. We do NToV and Vulak Thursday and then Doze and Len following Tuesday. The HoT symbol drakes drop tears/symbols but other trash doesn't drop on Tuesday.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It doesn't.

Flying Kick has it's own modifier, as seen on the Monk 2.0

1607445382479.png

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It doesn't.

Flying Kick has it's own modifier, as seen on the Monk 2.0

View attachment 322178
To be fair, those are two different modifiers. +% Kick raises the Kick skill and Flying Kick: 15 adds damage to each flying kick. So, if there was a +% Flying Kick mod, it would work with the damage mod.

But, since it's +% Kick and not Flying Kick, it shouldn't apply.

Xeris

Trakanon Raider
This is

mostly incorrect.
Still yet to hear anyone provide a rational argument for why I'm wrong other than to just say "you're wrong."

Happy to have it explained to me... But in 4 years of playing TLPs it's mattered 0 times

Xevy

Log Wizard
Still yet to hear anyone provide a rational argument for why I'm wrong other than to just say "you're wrong."

Happy to have it explained to me... But in 4 years of playing TLPs it's mattered 0 times
You've never been stunned while casting Feign Death? Impressive.

Before the terror line one of the best ways to pull mobs as a shitty SK without insta-cast spells when you're multi pulling is to bop them. So you run, and bop a mob. Continue with 6 mobs behind you, run and bop. Run and bop a mob and it stuns you? Suddenly you have 10 angry mobs stunning you from behind and you're dead. Still happens to this day with some pulls.

I was an SK all of Agnarr and I have an SK on Mangler as well. I watched DE's pull a bunch of mobs into a corner, pull the "I have unholy, I'm fine" and then get stunned and then D-E-D. On raids it's only an issue with trash. You're not tanking shit outside of maybe 3-4 mobs after Classic until possibly GoD. Sleeper's dragons, Seru, and Inny/Cazic in Time are all I can think of. Being stunned on those doesn't matter because it's not on you to save yourself unless Inny somehow fears 3/4 of your healers who were too dumb to OOR the fear.

Nate

Molten Core Raider

It doesn’t matter. Anyone who says otherwise is bad at the game. The game is completely trivial, any encounter you can theory craft where it might come into play you can theory craft another strategy that avoids the base issue.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>

Before the terror line one of the best ways to pull mobs as a shitty SK without insta-cast spells when you're multi pulling is to bop them. So you run, and bop a mob. Continue with 6 mobs behind you, run and bop. Run and bop a mob and it stuns you? Suddenly you have 10 angry mobs stunning you from behind and you're dead. Still happens to this day with some pulls.

I was an SK all of Agnarr and I have an SK on Mangler as well. I watched DE's pull a bunch of mobs into a corner, pull the "I have unholy, I'm fine" and then get stunned and then D-E-D. On raids it's only an issue with trash. You're not tanking shit outside of maybe 3-4 mobs after Classic until possibly GoD. Sleeper's dragons, Seru, and Inny/Cazic in Time are all I can think of. Being stunned on those doesn't matter because it's not on you to save yourself unless Inny somehow fears 3/4 of your healers who were too dumb to OOR the fear.

You forgot low level SK pet pulling.

Foaming

Lord Nagafen Raider
Dark Hand Wraps are 3-4% of your total dps if you use 2 hth weapons. Until the hdex of a glove item exceeds that for bis dps its dark hand wraps.

Ogre stun immunity is worth about 11% threat for a warrior if you're not abusing an insta click. For shadow knights you'll never notice it until you do, and that's usually when shit hits the fan. If you're try harding raid parses in 2 early expansions which barely count for anything anyways DE is superior. All this is moot however because the greatest shadow knight to ever play plays troll.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

No one said it's going to prevent a raid wipe... I don't know why you're so focused on exaggerating it. If you want to talk min/max, though, I don't see how you can say something like regen is better. You have a case for starting INT up until you can cap it. After that, one ability is clearly better, even if it's not going to be the difference between a raid living or dying. Slightly better threat and DPS when tanking and I would reckon that it has made the difference between a single SK living or dying at least a few times in the history of EQ.

If you have a 50 HP piece of gear and you get a 100 HP piece of gear, is that going to prevent a raid wipe or change how you or anyone else plays the game? No, it won't. Is one clearly better than the other? Yes.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Monk questions! Anyone know if the Kick mod on Sandals of Contemplation from Vex thal effects flying kick? also how long do monks typically use Dark Hand Wraps for?

It definitely doesn't affect flying kick, nope.

Dark Hand Wraps are 3-4% of your total dps if you use 2 hth weapons. Until the hdex of a glove item exceeds that for bis dps its dark hand wraps.

Ogre stun immunity is worth about 11% threat for a warrior if you're not abusing an insta click. For shadow knights you'll never notice it until you do, and that's usually when shit hits the fan. If you're try harding raid parses in 2 early expansions which barely count for anything anyways DE is superior. All this is moot however because the greatest shadow knight to ever play plays troll.

Roughly when would gloves reach that level of hdex? I feel like it isn't until very late, like after level 100?

I stopped at 65 with monk on TLP but I'm interested to know more about this glove meta

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
Talking about monk damage, what weapons finally outpace h2h in velious. I got a sap encrusted branch off tunare because it (should have had) a better ratio than fist OH. However using the branch yielded lower damage across multiple fights in NToV.

Im just wondering is Gharns *if we ever see one* worth taking over fists?

Xeris

Trakanon Raider

I didn't say I haven't been stunned while casting FD, sure I have. What I am saying is that I've never encountered a situation where a group or raid wiped because I got stunned. I'm sure I've died before at some point because some mob stunned me when I was trying to cast FD, but again, I don't really see how this equates to "if you're not an Ogre you're wrong."

Who cares and why does it matter if I die in a group scenario?I was lvl 50 on Agnarr as an SK by the end of the 2nd day, and ditto for Mangler and Aradune (took me a bit longer on Aradune b/c of server problems and I didn't play as much in general), but I can't really imagine that if I had chosen Ogre instead of SK, I somehow would have... leveled up faster, or been any better or worse off than I was by choosing to go DE. Again, it's a pretty marginal/fringe benefit. It's nice to have, but it's not like "if you don't do this you're a failure at your class."

I'd say something like... if you're a rogue and you're not using a piercing weapon thus not able to backstab, you're wrong. To say not being an Ogre means you're wrong is just nonsensical.

I don't even think it's a min-max thing, because if I wanted to min-max, I'd probably go for DE instead of Ogre so I could max mana for DPS. As you and others have stated, there's very little that an SK is main tanking in Classic-Luclin, and during POP raid encounters where an SK would tank, lack of stun immunity doesn't matter... so really as an SK you probably want to max DPS. I'd be more inclined to say that if you're not a DE you're doing it wrong than I would to say you're doing it wrong as a non-Ogre. But again -- at the end of the day, I think player skill (and by this I mean, doing very small marginal things like timing spells/dots between swings and things to really max your character) is more important than just picking a certain race. As Foaming has said, people like Sazzabi are recognized as top tier SK and he doesn't play DE or Ogre.

I just think Ogres are big, fat, and ugly and I prefer DE :p

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I didn't say I haven't been stunned while casting FD, sure I have. What I am saying is that I've never encountered a situation where a group or raid wiped because I got stunned. I'm sure I've died before at some point because some mob stunned me when I was trying to cast FD, but again, I don't really see how this equates to "if you're not an Ogre you're wrong."

Who cares and why does it matter if I die in a group scenario?I was lvl 50 on Agnarr as an SK by the end of the 2nd day, and ditto for Mangler and Aradune (took me a bit longer on Aradune b/c of server problems and I didn't play as much in general), but I can't really imagine that if I had chosen Ogre instead of SK, I somehow would have... leveled up faster, or been any better or worse off than I was by choosing to go DE. Again, it's a pretty marginal/fringe benefit. It's nice to have, but it's not like "if you don't do this you're a failure at your class."

I'd say something like... if you're a rogue and you're not using a piercing weapon thus not able to backstab, you're wrong. To say not being an Ogre means you're wrong is just nonsensical.

I don't even think it's a min-max thing, because if I wanted to min-max, I'd probably go for DE instead of Ogre so I could max mana for DPS. As you and others have stated, there's very little that an SK is main tanking in Classic-Luclin, and during POP raid encounters where an SK would tank, lack of stun immunity doesn't matter... so really as an SK you probably want to max DPS. I'd be more inclined to say that if you're not a DE you're doing it wrong than I would to say you're doing it wrong as a non-Ogre. But again -- at the end of the day, I think player skill (and by this I mean, doing very small marginal things like timing spells/dots between swings and things to really max your character) is more important than just picking a certain race. As Foaming has said, people like Sazzabi are recognized as top tier SK and he doesn't play DE or Ogre.

I just think Ogres are big, fat, and ugly and I prefer DE :p

You forgot gear swapping on engage. I used to swap 6-8 items on engages when I was min-maxing. Start off with +mana heavy stuff and transition to +atk stuff as you transition. This became less of a factor as the expansions went on.

Absolutely correct foaming. Also nice to see you buddy. I am sure you remember my min/maxing exploits on Agnarr :)

Sazzabi could not consistently touch me until about Luclin in DPS (he was always close), because of the early DE benefit versus Troll. Luclin race didn't matter at all for performance. That being said, he was always a better overall situational player than me and was a bit more tanky than me because hes actually an SK AI Skynet. I always enjoyed Foaming's "combined DPS" contributions with his druid :)

I would echo the point that it really boils down to who is playing the class. There are has and has not SK's period end of story. I think all my OG SK Bros will back me up on that.

I will take names over race any day of the week. You throw big Foaming, Zzabi, Zama, Korrupt, Taladir and a few others in an SK core and we will fuck your world up I don't care what race they pick.

To put things to rest -- If I were to go back and say the optimal race path I would say this:

Classic: Ogre or Troll (SK's are just tanks basically)
Kunark: DE (SK's are trash tanks + snap agro + DPS)
Velious: DE (" ")
Luclin: The argument could be made multiple ways since all stats are maxed -- Although I still Prefer DE Because Buff Slot (Its a trade off for Buff Slot, Regen, Stun Immunity)
Beyond: Kinda same shit type argument.

I know, you can keep a pocket shaman and shrink yourself, whatever. My 2 cents. I think the first 3 expacs is where the argument is pretty clear -- after which it boils down to real minutia which probably doesnt matter -- and may more broadly apply to you just being happy with your character (RP elements) which encourage you to play and min max / invest more in the character.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah this works. We do NToV and Vulak Thursday and then Doze and Len following Tuesday. The HoT symbol drakes drop tears/symbols but other trash doesn't drop on Tuesday.

Just to clarify. You are able to kill Vulak and NToV Thursday, then Come back Tuesday and still kill doze ect. without it pushing back vulak or anything?

People in my guild seem to think by killing vulak we are locked out of the whole thing until a week later.

gugabuba

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just to clarify. You are able to kill Vulak and NToV Thursday, then Come back Tuesday and still kill doze ect. without it pushing back vulak or anything?

People in my guild seem to think by killing vulak we are locked out of the whole thing until a week later.
Right. Killing Doze does not reset the loot timers for NToV or Vulak or anything. It resets the replay timer which I think is pretty short (6hrs?).

Foaming

Lord Nagafen Raider
I would say around level 85-90 Dark Hand Wraps are no longer worth wearing. You'd need to maintain 2x current h2h weapons and you're def swapping in 2hb during speed focus disc so you'd need to either swap gloves as well or eat the hdex loss during that. The loss of sheer hp and hint/wis to mitigate aes at that level starts to really weigh in on a few percent of dps.

As Cukernaut said I could take a Human SK and run circles around all but a very small handful of SKs and I'm not even that good. Sazzabi is playing a whole other game than the rest of us and he only plays troll.

Vise

Molten Core Raider
I would say around level 85-90 Dark Hand Wraps are no longer worth wearing. You'd need to maintain 2x current h2h weapons and you're def swapping in 2hb during speed focus disc so you'd need to either swap gloves as well or eat the hdex loss during that. The loss of sheer hp and hint/wis to mitigate aes at that level starts to really weigh in on a few percent of dps.

As Cukernaut said I could take a Human SK and run circles around all but a very small handful of SKs and I'm not even that good. Sazzabi is playing a whole other game than the rest of us and he only plays troll.
Which combo of weapons do you need to start using them over epics?

Foaming

Lord Nagafen Raider
Epics are 23dmg 26dly at 60 and 24dmg 26dly at 65. Main hand epic doesn't appear to benefit from dmg bonus so it performs a little worse than that ratio on high ac targets or at low atk levels. It's generally considered gharns, fangs or glowing mithril ulak to be superior than mh epic. Pretty much nothing until xegony fist is better offhand, however, so Dark Hand Wraps is basically an item you get in Luclin to use in Late PoP+