Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You know what I learned yesterday? DAoC was developed in 18 months from $2.5m and 25 devs. That game had PvE AND PvP and was fully playable when it released and is still one of the gold standards for how to implement pvp in an MMO. These modern MMO kickstarters that take 5 years and can't produce anything don't deserve any respect or loyalty.
Mask Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Must be the most useless bit of software ever because it didn't stop any of the boxers on Mangler. Or now aradune.

There's a simple answer to this: Money.

This game would be sunset if they actually enforced the rules equally as there would not be as many active accounts.

Those bypassing the restriction on truebox are basically goldmines for Daybreak as they're guaranteed income:
a) They pay for subscriptions using Krono or subscribe for each account
b) They farm items, which are worth Krono to other players
c) Players buy additional Krono from resellers or Daybreak, increasing sales
d) Krono gets consumed by the boxers, completing the 'lifecycle' of the Krono as revenue
e) If the player who is bypassing truebox with more than the allowed amount of characters is too disruptive and drives a quantifiable amount of customers away, they could selectively ban the person with a good reason.
f) Players are more inclined to give Daybreak/Darkpaw income if they're law abiding citizens and don't cheat or hack, meaning they may opt to pay Daybreak and barter with someone who boxed a raid. The looming threat of losing your time invested is more of a threat to those players than the cost of a Krono.

gugabuba

Golden Knight of the Realm
You know what I learned yesterday? DAoC was developed in 18 months from $2.5m and 25 devs. That game had PvE AND PvP and was fully playable when it released and is still one of the gold standards for how to implement pvp in an MMO. These modern MMO kickstarters that take 5 years and can't produce anything don't deserve any respect or loyalty.
If only a DAoC developer would take a shot at a kickstarter MMO, I bet it would be smooth sailing.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
If only a DAoC developer would take a shot at a kickstarter MMO, I bet it would be smooth sailing.
Yeah, it's crazy how badly that has gone. I just happened to actually check on CU after dismissing it years ago and got to find out all that amazing drama that happened last year with their shitty moba. I installed their beta client to see what the "game" currently looks like this weekend but I'm not expecting anything and it seems like even their reddit community (which is usually full of all the shills) has turned on them so... RIP?

camelotwhy.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Rift launched quite smoothly and with minimal bugs, and was a lot of fun for a couple of years. No idea what it's budget or dev time was though.

I think part of the reason for it being difficult to get a new MMORPG done on budget and ontime in current year is the over the top expectations of the newer generation of consoomers.

EQ is mostly an older man's game, we are fine with simple graphics as long as the game play is to our liking. Hell we even put up with rampant botting because we know we can mostly play around it via DZs.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Wasn’t Project Gorgon also made by literally two people? That game is almost too granular and massive.

• 1Like

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Wasn’t Project Gorgon also made by literally two people? That game is almost too granular and massive.
It definitely suffers the same Vanguard problem of being too much world and not enough game.

The starting island is VERY good but it really falls off the rails after that and while I get they were going for a more UO/Runescape feel of just do whatever sandbox style but it's very easy to never figure out where you should be going and overworld travel time makes running across the Karanas feel like a quick jog.

• 1Barf

Fierlen

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, it's crazy how badly that has gone. I just happened to actually check on CU after dismissing it years ago and got to find out all that amazing drama that happened last year with their shitty moba. I installed their beta client to see what the "game" currently looks like this weekend but I'm not expecting anything and it seems like even their reddit community (which is usually full of all the shills) has turned on them so... RIP?

View attachment 329068

Hasn't Camelot Unchained essentially become the developer trying to make a game engine instead of a game? Any "game" that comes out of it will end up just so they can demonstrate the engine, net code, ect. to sell to other companies. I may be wrong but it seems like that has been their main focus and all that there is to see after eight(?) years since their Kickstarter.

• 1Solidarity

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
RIFT was very well done. The original dungeons for small group were challenging but not as difficult as Wildstar. Raids contents from both games were also very very good.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Hasn't Camelot Unchained essentially become the developer trying to make a game engine instead of a game? Any "game" that comes out of it will end up just so they can demonstrate the engine, net code, ect. to sell to other companies. I may be wrong but it seems like that has been their main focus and all that there is to see after eight(?) years since their Kickstarter.

In their defense, there's basically no game engine that's not behind a restrictive license as of writing that can be used for a game of that scale.

So naturally, a product like their engine would be more valuable than an actual game. But it would also open up a 'game of that scale' for other companies, indie or not.
Yes, games like EQ were made with less. EQ2's content was made in under a year according to interviews with Hartsman. They basically had an entire engine and platform under development for many years and rushed out the content last minute. But the game does function, and they have an engine, albeit a poor one in modern terms. As the engine was made for EQ2's success, not for 'x game' down the road.

If you have an established 'rendering / gameplay engine', and more importantly, a backend that is proven to work at the scale you are hoping for, you can make any kind of game on that engine / backend. Your costs come mostly from maintaining the engine itself.

Almost every player I talk to wants to see an "MMO in Unreal 4" - the issue with that is there's not really an engine out there that is completely open source and free to use regardless of platform... well, besides Godot, and Godot is too limited in what it can do and does not support mobile or consoles, so it turns off investors and developers who are thinking on a 'bigger scale'. They forget you need a backend of some sorts to handle, store and retrieve player data, including analytics and metrics.

If you go to any investor and pitch a game like Camelot Unchained, you better tell them, "Hey, so I can get this engine that we can sell to other companies, and I need funding for that engine", it is much easier to sell than "Hey, I have an idea for a game based on a concept (RvR) that ultimately failed to achieve major success twice."

Designers, like Mark Jacobs, understands how to pitch a game. He's likely had to pitch games many times over in his career to many VC firms and publishers. Word travels quick in industries, so you need to change your strategy when dealing with them if you are consistently failing to acquire funding.

If you can't give investors a target metric, you can't get funding unless you have some sort of profitable venture.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm skeptical of if or when Camelot Unchained will ever get released. They started working on an entirely different game in the middle of developing CU but after massive backlash stated that it was a game they developed as a way of gathering data and testing various things for CU.

The upside is that at some point you should see an official DAoC TLP. It was announced in 2019 that they were working on releasing an official DAoC TLP server to come out sometime in the following years. What's causing the delays is that they've already stated they won't release a classic TLP until they are confident that it will not completely kill their live servers. When it does release though it should be pretty big considering how insanely popular the last DAoC freeshard (Phoenix) was.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wtb tlp with two box and decent xp
Selo. It was the best TLP ever. Heaps of content, always something to do. Get out whenever you want, because you accomplished what you wanted... not because you were bored to tears, like every other retarded TLP.

Everyone clamors for 3 months of unlocks, and then they fucking quit and disappear because everyone is done with the expansion in 3 weeks. Seriously, fuck you autists.

• 3Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Selo. It was the best TLP ever. Heaps of content, always something to do. Get out whenever you want, because you accomplished what you wanted... not because you were bored to tears, like every other retarded TLP.

Everyone clamors for 3 months of unlocks, and then they fucking quit and disappear because everyone is done with the expansion in 3 weeks. Seriously, fuck you autists.
Selo definitely did some things right. 1 month expansions are way better than 3 month expansions for sure. However, the half lockout thing was gross. It made for literally endless raiding. They should have doubled loot in instances and left the timers normal, and leave OW normal. I can't even imagine how SoD would be with half lockouts lol, holy shit that would just be endless.

• 1Like

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
I cannot understate the severity of the burnout on Selo due to half lockouts. It was fun because there was always something to do or work on, but eventually it just wore you out. I don't think we had regular scheduled off nights until maybe GOD, but even then if we weren't raiding we were sitting in a tunnel AFK waiting for a discord channel alert to kill a goat.

• 1Like

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
"If someone would like to PM me the specific issues where players can grief the cleric epic, I would be grateful. You'd save me a lot of time." Absor.

What's the scoop