Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

Hamshire

Lord Nagafen Raider
lul.png

Its -500 DKP for each member that doesn't buy it right? 🤣

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
That's almost what it is on Phinny at level 115, relatively speaking. I think it hit an all time high of about 550k a while back. I figured it would keep going into the millions like live servers, but it didn't. Turns out Phinny is headed for a heat death of plat shortage. Nobody has plat. People are in bread lines, farming VOA raids for 40k from the chest. Kronos were down to like 250k last time I was on there.

Sounds like i need to log on and burn my Loyalty tokens, that's some free Krono.
Yeah I enjoyed the AoS/OGC rivalry each launch. Even though I've played most TLP's I tend to compare a lot of things to Phinny server since I played there the longest. The reality is though that there are more guilds that try on Aradune than what we saw on Phinny. Going really fast is kind of a double edged sword. It's nice to get the expansion finished asap but going so fast gives the illusion of no competition. If we went as slow as AoS/OGC did on phinny,

You say that but OGC was losing to other guilds besides AoS in some expansions.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's perfectly normal to have clear times get faster each tlp. People not only figure out new tricks, but also learn from past mistakes while the rank and file get more experienced. Even just normal play gets more efficient over time, eg the whole thing with charm being widespread vs many players not realizing they should do it in 2000.

It's also normal to only go as fast as you feel you need to and otherwise slow down to cater to scheduling and member real life needs. Selo is a good example where pop for example was done quickly because of a carryover sense of racing, while everything after the urgency was low so for the most part guilds did it in good order but not in a rush. Stuff like skipping high priest in god or wiz manaburn boxes for oow didn't get used. If you are on a server where no other guild is going sweaty all nighter type racing, why would you? Sounds like mangler went that way just like selo did.

Storm key sounds like a nice change. Rare drop from the farmable giants means it's far less prone to exploits or hacks. I'm honestly very much in favor of all the stuff like this not being on a single easily identifiable named npc that can be manaburned. The selo solution of some csr opening a dozen picks for a few days I also thought was ok, but this change is better, it means people will be social in the zone and not spread out playing alone so much. More community but less grief.

Torment is only a bottleneck if you aren't willing to exploit inside your dz. Carpin is only a bottleneck if you suck at splitting down to non zerg size. The only real holdup is gonna be the vial now.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like i need to log on and burn my Loyalty tokens, that's some free Krono.

You say that but OGC was losing to other guilds besides AoS in some expansions.

Only OoW because OGC got screwed on MPG trial lockouts bugging. I wasn't in OGC yet so I don't remember specifics, but yeah something like six guilds (including mine) beat OGC on OoW because of their lockout bug.

It doesn't count.

Edit: Looks like OGC was third-place in Velious as EoE got a win on them. Didn't know that one because it was before my time. Assuming it was on the up-and-up, that may be the one time any guild besides AoS got a fair win on OGC on Phinny. Looking at it further, it looks like they beat Vulak first by a shade while OGC beat everything else first, and the progress site weighs Vulak over everything else.

Last edited:

Sterling

El Presidente
Only OoW because OGC got screwed on MPG trial lockouts bugging. I wasn't in OGC yet so I don't remember specifics, but yeah something like six guilds (including mine) beat OGC on OoW because of their lockout bug.

It doesn't count.

Edit: Looks like OGC was third-place in Velious as EoE got a win on them. Didn't know that one because it was before my time. Assuming it was on the up-and-up, that may be the one time any guild besides AoS got a fair win on OGC on Phinny. Looking at it further, it looks like they beat Vulak first by a shade while OGC beat everything else first, and the progress site weighs Vulak over everything else.

OGC ended up way behind in PoP as well. They didn't get bertox in their opening day instance and EoE got the 2nd OW one.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
OGC ended up way behind in PoP as well. They didn't get bertox in their opening day instance and EoE got the 2nd OW one.

According to Phinnyprogress, OGC got Quarm on 2/5/2017 and EoE got Quarm on 2/6/2017. EoE got tier 1 and 2 down before OGC but OGC was the winner after that, unless the site is wrong.

Sterling

El Presidente
According to Phinnyprogress, OGC got Quarm on 2/5/2017 and EoE got Quarm on 2/6/2017. EoE got tier 1 and 2 down before OGC but OGC was the winner after that, unless the site is wrong.
My point was having to wait on the 3rd bertox caused them to lose the PoP race by 2 days. I didn't realize it was more about them not finishing second. The OoW thing was weird because the need to zone out first seemed like a well known thing.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
My point was having to wait on the 3rd bertox caused them to lose the PoP race by 2 days. I didn't realize it was more about them not finishing second. The OoW thing was weird because the need to zone out first seemed like a well known thing.

Yeah, I was just pointing out to Mrniceguy that OGC didn't actually lose races to non-AoS guilds. Except Vulak, I guess.

It's kind of interesting how other guilds influenced the AoS/OGC races, even when they'd largely step aside for the first few days. I remember a PoR race where CoC was helping OGC and EoE was helping AoS.

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, I was just pointing out to Mrniceguy that OGC didn't actually lose races to non-AoS guilds. Except Vulak, I guess.

It's kind of interesting how other guilds influenced the AoS/OGC races, even when they'd largely step aside for the first few days. I remember a PoR race where CoC was helping OGC and EoE was helping AoS.

To my memory OGC didn't really race classic-velious. I could be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure classic-velious was mainly Dima building the guild to start racing. They were just more of a presence than anything in those expansions. The main motivation for getting things done fast in Velious was to get in to sleepers before it was woken. Luclin was like the first expansion where OGC really raced and went hard iirc. If you ask some of the AoS leadership at that time, they'll tell you they didn't really prepare for Luclin like they should have because they didn't think really anyone was racing them or stood a chance if one did decide to race. They obviously never made that mistake again after Luclin.

• 1Like

ent

Golden Knight of the Realm
To my memory OGC didn't really race classic-velious.
[Tue Dec 29 12:28:01 2015] <SYSTEMWIDE_MESSAGE>: Lord Nagafen has been defeated by a group of hardy adventurers! Please join us in congratulating Squeesh along with everyone else who participated in this achievement!
[Tue Dec 29 12:28:07 2015] Bobbybick rolls on the floor laughing.
[Tue Dec 29 12:28:07 2015] Bobbybick rolls on the floor laughing.
[Tue Dec 29 12:28:16 2015] Satoshi shouts, 'Good race, friends!'
[Tue Dec 29 12:28:24 2015] Beginning to memorize Gate...

ent

Golden Knight of the Realm
Hey thats me
Yea I don't think Atabishi was in OGC until Velious but that naggy loss really early took the wind out of the OGC sails pretty fast. I stunned the quest room during a sky race and wiped our side of the dojorn fight too once. Good times.

Xeris

Trakanon Raider
32k is a little bit more reasonable in terms of number of HGs per krono, I suppose...

When do these open plat raids transpire? Same time every week? Sounds like a better alternative to farming thousands of HGs.

I know the feeling on being a completionist. There's a lot of appeal to not falling behind if I take a year off from playing. I just wish it went beyond PoP, but that'd defeat the point I suppose.

If they ever do another locked server, I think they should lock at OoW or TSS. They'd have a bit more to do than Agnarr does, to say the least. TSS is before the game really blew up with gear inflation. IMO the later expansions are the best ones, but I think locks at these particular expacs would serve a purpose.

TSS would also be a good expansion to start a progression server on. It's got tons of content from level 1 on up and yet has never been used as the starting point for a server. Same goes for Kunark, I suppose. TSS would be particularly interesting though, because historically in TLPs, very few people start from the beginning in TSS compared to the early all-levels expacs like Kunark and Luclin. You'll find TONS of level 1 Iksars running around in Kunark no matter when it launches on a TLP, while TSS has very, very few level 1's running through Blightfire Moors etc at launch. An entire server launching in TSS would be a brand-new experience. Course a ton of people would just leave TSS immediately and go back to the usual zones to level up, but still.

I've been running plat raids on avg every 4-5 weeks. I don't think the returns would be super good if I did them more frequently, and also I just don't play all that much to want to run super consistent raids on top of my own guild raids. But that's the nice thing about Agnarr! I can just pop in for raids, take big breaks, etc.

I do agree, I'd very much enjoy an oow lock server. I'd like to experience that, I've actually never played EQ past ldon, but only era locked servers appeal to me. I put in a good 2 year EQ grind when Agnarr launched, played from Day 1 until now... I don't really want to out that kinda time into another TLP knowing that I'll have to KEEP up that level of play for each xpac.

I'm cool to grind for X amount of time that's specified and then once oow hits for example, I can just press my casual button and play at a more relaxed pace.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider

It doesn't count.

EoE zoned into Time before OGC on Phinny but EoE struggled with the raid. The server crashed OGC lost Bert instance and AoS lost Saryn instance. AoS was able to get open world Saryn i remember sleeping while we poopsocked it, but OGC actually lost open world Bert to EoE and that's why they almost got 3rd. Entendre was actual the first Guild to zone into one of the EPs cause they went the straight to Fire thinking gearing up was gonna be necessary. There was like 4-5 guilds contesting Plane of Storms giants.

Phinny was a lot more competitive then people seem to remember it.

• 1Like

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea I don't think Atabishi was in OGC until Velious but that naggy loss really early took the wind out of the OGC sails pretty fast. I stunned the quest room during a sky race and wiped our side of the dojorn fight too once. Good tim

I joined during kunark.
Not really sure what that SS proves? So if i a guild goes for soemthing in OW at any point that means they automatically race and try hard on expansion launches?

Edit: So since i clearly stated that was just my memory of things, i asked some of the OGC leadership that were there from launch. They responded saying there wasn't really ever a care of being first in Classic-Kunark, we were just trying to finish the expansion like any other guild and Velious we only cared about getting in to ST, which is basically my memory of things. The care for being first and attempts at racing launches didn't start until Luclin.

Last edited:

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
EoE zoned into Time before OGC on Phinny but EoE struggled with the raid. The server crashed OGC lost Bert instance and AoS lost Saryn instance. AoS was able to get open world Saryn i remember sleeping while we poopsocked it, but OGC actually lost open world Bert to EoE and that's why they almost got 3rd. Entendre was actual the first Guild to zone into one of the EPs cause they went the straight to Fire thinking gearing up was gonna be necessary. There was like 4-5 guilds contesting Plane of Storms giants.

OGC never even made an attempt to go for OW bert after our bert DZ crashed. We literally just waited for GM's to reset our Bert DZ lockout. Since AoS had corpse banked 18 toons to 65 and got an advantage on levels, we knew that if we went for OW bert AoS would just go there and contest, auto winning with the level advantage. AoS let EoE have that OW bert to try and get them ahead of OGC. If you remember, AoS even worked with EoE on velious launch and had sort of an understanding with each other. Also Entendre was the fifth guild in to the elementals, so dunno where them being the first guild to zone in to an EP comes from.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
IIRC entendre was first to fire, 5th to the other 3. I'd quit at that point though so just going on chats with former roi friends who were in that guild.

Velious was not some secret "fuck ogc" agreement. That's crazy man. The leadership reached out to people to see what they could put together. Some guilds were cooperative, some guilds were just not interested, and some were standoffish. At that point OGC had no standing to be treated like some threat to be coalitioned down. I believe we even had understandings with others like IVAS. Most of these understandings and cooperative agreements went straight down into the shitter when "satoshi" (we) woke the sleeper.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
phinny was fun. my memories were mostly defending america against the euros in velious. OGC made attempts, but was essentially a non factor all during those early eras.

velious launch was an unplanned launch if you all remember. it launched a week early or something so there was definitely no "arrangements and master plans". Yukina and some of the team on at the moment saw the serverwide ( i happened to be on at the time) and we were like uhhh is this real? and we went and no notice roflstomped the entire server. was it OGC that cleared growth for us?

but yeah phinny was super fun and had some good activity --

the euros were more aggressive than ogc tbh. i got wifed up and missed luclin/pop sadly.

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
IIRC entendre was first to fire, 5th to the other 3. I'd quit at that point though so just going on chats with former roi friends who were in that guild.

Velious was not some secret "fuck ogc" agreement. That's crazy man. The leadership reached out to people to see what they could put together. Some guilds were cooperative, some guilds were just not interested, and some were standoffish. At that point OGC had no standing to be treated like some threat to be coalitioned down. I believe we even had understandings with others like IVAS. Most of these understandings and cooperative agreements went straight down into the shitter when "satoshi" (we) woke the sleeper.

Where did i claim there was a coalition against OGC in velious? I simply said AoS and EoE worked together and had an understanding, which they did lol