Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I think that the level 70 stretch is what actually drives the population of most TLPs into the sewer. POP always has a substantial decline in population, but that also coincides with them releasing new servers and you have a lot of people that just like to start on them all.

Yeah, the 70 era is murder on TLPs. One of the good things about Vaniki is that it rolls the entire 70 era up into what is essentially a single expansion's timeframe. We'll see how that goes.

There are 3 major points where the population of TLPs gets hammered:

1. LDON (Since they usually give it its own unlock and extend PoP which is completely goddamn pointless)

2. DoN through PoR (Since most guilds keep doing OOW for all that time, and two of the four level 70 expansions don't even have AAs)

3. COTF through TBM (Post level 100 is a bit of a rough patch with COTF, Darkened Sea, and Broken Mirror all being subpar expansions in a row. COTF and TBM in particular are just not that fun. At least TDS between them has some really cool zones. However the worst thing they did here was make it so that once you're 105, pre-COTF expansions suddenly give like no AA exp whatsoever, to force you into COTF+ zones...which happen to be the dullest zones at that point. Eventually you get to EOK which is a lot better, but either way, that entire 105 stretch where they obsolete previous expansions seems to put the nail in the coffin for a lot of servers)

It's also worth noting that OOW on live was the highest population EQ ever recorded. The mythos at this point is that PoP was the game's high point and then LoY/LDON and GoD killed it. The population actually coasted through LoY/LDON without any issue, then suffered a drop during GoD, then massively rebounded during OOW launch to pass the previous highs set by PoP. At least for the first month or two of OOW, then WoW came out and the population began to slide.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, the 70 era is murder on TLPs. One of the good things about Vaniki is that it rolls the entire 70 era up into what is essentially a single expansion's timeframe. We'll see how that goes.

There are 3 major points where the population of TLPs gets hammered:

1. LDON (Since they usually give it its own unlock and extend PoP which is completely goddamn pointless)

2. DoN through PoR (Since most guilds keep doing OOW for all that time, and two of the four level 70 expansions don't even have AAs)

3. COTF through TBM (Post level 100 is a bit of a rough patch with COTF, Darkened Sea, and Broken Mirror all being subpar expansions in a row. COTF and TBM in particular are just not that fun. At least TDS between them has some really cool zones. However the worst thing they did here was make it so that once you're 105, pre-COTF expansions suddenly give like no AA exp whatsoever, to force you into COTF+ zones...which happen to be the dullest zones at that point. Eventually you get to EOK which is a lot better, but either way, that entire 105 stretch where they obsolete previous expansions seems to put the nail in the coffin for a lot of servers)

It's also worth noting that OOW on live was the highest population EQ ever recorded. The mythos at this point is that PoP was the game's high point and then LoY/LDON and GoD killed it. The population actually coasted through LoY/LDON without any issue, then suffered a drop during GoD, then massively rebounded during OOW launch to pass the previous highs set by PoP. At least for the first month or two of OOW, then WoW came out and the population began to slide.
I bought OoW because I couldn’t get a copy of WoW at launch. Jan 2005 I got WoW and never came back.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Aradune Server is about to hit TSS (The Serpents Spine) Expansion. The best time to come back to EQ and experience some of the best content in the game! A whole expansion dedicated to 1 - 75 level players with easy catch up mechanics. Hit up Vets of Norrath (VoN) for more info! Join the Vets of Norrath (VoN) Discord Server!

• 1Dislike
  • 1Barf
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider

Zaide

TLP Idealist
That website update is so good it makes me want to app.

Look forward to the next uptime in 2025

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
That website update is so good it makes me want to app.

Look forward to the next uptime in 2025

Yeah same here.

fohboard.png

I bet this does indeed describe a lot of people here, including me to an extent.

I was in the top guild on Prexus/Rathe for five years or so back when I was reading the drama, so slightly better than 71st. However my guild had a monopoly and thus lacked any real competitive drama. So it wasn't until TLP that I got to engage in any real pissing contests like the pros did when I was growing up.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Yeah same here.

View attachment 418713
I bet this does indeed describe a lot of people here, including me to an extent.

I was in the top guild on Prexus/Rathe for five years or so back when I was reading the drama, so slightly better than 71st. However my guild had a monopoly and thus lacked any real competitive drama. So it wasn't until TLP that I got to engage in any real pissing contests like the pros did when I was growing up.
MFW when Triality lost it's top spot to a guild fresh off a TLP server.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah same here.

View attachment 418713

I think this comment describes the selo drama? Given the timing of everything? He'd be talking about the celebrity videos?

Those were paid for by two people, Krim and Drill. Krim's past record is fine and I'd argue his leadership decisions ended up helping roi become the success story that would totally dunk on triality. Drill was IN triality.

These guys dominated after everyone left for wow and promptly lost when people came back for tlps and caught up to them. Fun dudes in my experience, probably a lot of great individuals all around, just too big of a collective ego though. Did they even win any aradune expansion races before the demise of atabishi?

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I think this comment describes the selo drama? Given the timing of everything? He'd be talking about the celebrity videos?

Those were paid for by two people, Krim and Drill. Krim's past record is fine and I'd argue his leadership decisions ended up helping roi become the success story that would totally dunk on triality. Drill was IN triality.

These guys dominated after everyone left for wow and promptly lost when people came back for tlps and caught up to them. Fun dudes in my experience, probably a lot of great individuals all around, just too big of a collective ego though. Did they even win any aradune expansion races before the demise of atabishi?

I don't see anything after OOW. Then again a ton of guilds drop off the list after OOW. Might have just stopped caring about reporting in.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I think reporting to those sites drop off more and more every TLP (doesn't help that owners changed a bunch and other dumb drama).

First

Trakanon Raider

That's a funny history. The story of RoI and Triality is pretty much one of Triality having much of it's core retiring over a period of time. Many had been playing for quite awhile and were starting to lose interest in the game - combined with having checked off most of their bucket list items in Triality. Going from 2x expansions to 1x in a year also is part of that IMO - the tempo change was rough in terms of the high raid tempo that the guild was used to and there were some other changes to game fundamentals. Despite this the record is still pretty impressive thru HoT.

There are also other intangibles - it's hard to compare apples to apples in EQ raiding between guilds that peaked in different eras. Here's an example - let's look at TSS (beltron) - it took guild #2 19 days longer than Triality to beat the expansion - it took guild #5 53 days longer to beat it. With the most recent EQ expansion, it appears it took guild #5 under 1 hour to beat it after RoI. You can also point to things like VoA having about 25 guilds beating it as TSS having about 125 guilds beating it, let alone the ~200 who beat Vishtimar in any remotely similar time period. It's hard to see expansion to expansion, but it's clear that both the game and the competitive scene have clearly changed over time.

What insight does this give us? I'm not sure exactly, but it seems to suggest each guild being dominant in some different eras (with some overlap). It doesn't make much sense to me to talk about CD/DH/Triality/Assent/RF curb stomping AL/FoH/LoS/etc for similar reasons. There's a reason for some collective ego, and that doesn't necessarily go away because of some twilight years while the game's raid scene (and dev headcount) has declined.

Last edited:

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That's a funny history. The story of RoI and Triality is pretty much one of Triality having much of it's core retiring over a period of time. Many had been playing for quite awhile and were starting to lose interest in the game - combined with having checked off most of their bucket list items in Triality. Going from 2x expansions to 1x in a year also is part of that IMO - the tempo change was rough in terms of the high raid tempo that the guild was used to and there were some other changes to game fundamentals. Despite this the record is still pretty impressive thru HoT.

There are also other intangibles - it's hard to compare apples to apples in EQ raiding between guilds that peaked in different eras. Here's an example - let's look at TSS (beltron) - it took guild #2 19 days longer than Triality to beat the expansion - it took guild #5 53 days longer to beat it. With the most recent EQ expansion, it appears it took guild #5 under 1 hour to beat it after RoI. You can also point to things like VoA having about 25 guilds beating it as TSS having about 125 guilds beating it, let alone the ~200 who beat Vishtimar in any remotely similar time period. It's hard to see expansion to expansion, but it's clear that both the game and the competitive scene have clearly changed over time.

What insight does this give us? I'm not sure exactly, but it seems to suggest each guild being dominant in some different eras (with some overlap). It doesn't make much sense to me to talk about CD/DH/Triality/Assent/RF curb stomping AL/FoH/LoS/etc for similar reasons. There's a reason for some collective ego, and that doesn't necessarily go away because of some twilight years while the game's raid scene (and dev headcount) has declined.

It's a fair statement purely in a vacuum, I agree, but if you're going to throw around the ol "who were/are these people..." you have to be able to defend yourself. I've seen Triality waving its proverbial everquest donger around probably second only to FOH around here over this forum's history. I was in realm of insanity on combine, and they were the #1 source of shit talk (and lots of fun talk, sure, good people of course) aimed at us while we were dredging through stuff like god and the 70s back then.

If Triality didn't seem to have such a huge collective ego I'd fully agree with you.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It's a fair statement purely in a vacuum, I agree, but if you're going to throw around the ol "who were/are these people..." you have to be able to defend yourself. I've seen Triality waving its proverbial everquest donger around probably second only to FOH around here over this forum's history. I was in realm of insanity on combine, and they were the #1 source of shit talk (and lots of fun talk, sure, good people of course) aimed at us while we were dredging through stuff like god and the 70s back then.

If Triality didn't seem to have such a huge collective ego I'd fully agree with you.

Was Combine ROI's origin server?

For whatever reason I was under the impression that they started on Test or live and did their own progression thing. Like stopped at particular levels and continued when they were ready, sort of thing. Maybe I'm thinking of Faceless on Test.

My memory ain't what it used to be about all this stuff, but I do remember ROI quickly outpacing all other live guilds once they were caught up to live. To the point that in...Underfoot I think, people in my own uberguild were speculating that the raids were basically being tuned to see if the devs could stop ROI at that point.

Zaide

TLP Idealist

They never won any Aradune expansion races even after the Baja Blast Bandit quit.

From the outside TEB sort of looks like a guild with no weakness. Having an idiot in charge was their only big issue but now Kubat is running things and he’s super low drama and even-keeled. As long as he’s still the GL they’ll probably win each expansion launch.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
MFW when Triality lost it's top spot to a guild fresh off a TLP server.
I remember Triality. They were on Vazaelle back in the day if I remember correctly. They was the top guild on our server. In fact, I believe Techno Destructo, the first person to solo Nagafen, was in that guild. I never was in that guild. I was still too noob at the time. My first hardcore raid guild back in the day was Vantage ran by Venthos. Loved that guild. We got our collective asses kicked by Rallos Zek the Warlord more times than I care to admit lol.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Lol, are we seriously debating whether the Triality collective ego has merit? I give points to anyone who posts funny EQ updates. That was once a major part of the culture and seems to have died out with TLPs.

• 2Like

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
Lol, are we seriously debating whether the Triality collective ego has merit? I give points to anyone who posts funny EQ updates. That was once a major part of the culture and seems to have died out with TLPs.
Checking the updates on guild websites in the early 2000's was always so much fun. Every once in a while I use the wayback machine to check out some old Tarew Marr guilds pages and reminisce.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I miss those styles of updates. Nowadays tlp guilds don’t even have websites.

• 2Like