Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah it was all quite strange. Not sure why anyone would ever box a Bard/Warrior and have the BARD be the one geared up. He didn't last long in the guild.

Generally in my experience its social pressure to not have another tank main.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
This is something I think 9 out of 10 people will agree with you and not me on, but I disagree and don't really understand why that's the case. Many of my favorite tlpers like plop and astral would also raid on live and it's totally fine, but put a same server alt into a different guild and it's an atrocity? Why?

To me it's always a question of "Loyalty" or how long a person will stick around until their "Main Guild" needs them. So you can't, or rather shouldn't, place any expectations on them because if the going gets hard, they get going back to their OG guild. Compound that with the understanding that the bottleneck in most guilds is loot, and unless you are raiding on your alt to just raid and not loot a single thing but rot it just creates another mouth to feed that eventually takes all the food they received to their mains guild.

Raiding on other servers is fine, I don't have the time to do it but the point would be to experience certain content with certain people. Raiding on the SAME server in multiple guilds is borderline scammy depending on the person and what they are doing.

As for the bottleneck classes...yeah, that shit is funny to watch as good clerics go away replaced by a person who thinks they can 2+ box just as well as 1 box. I was having this conversation last night with someone, it's better to have 1 character at 100% than 2 characters at <45% each. I don't know EQ encounters post SoD but holy shit I would rather have the 6 boxers on Aradune forced down to 1-2 boxes, not for moral or ethical reasons but because 98% of them suck SO bad and cause so many more issues on raid than if they simply logged off and played ONE FUCKING CHARACTER. I've seen ONE supremely GOOD boxer that doesn't cheat, Kobrah...Paladious comes in a close second. Everyone else uses janky apps and what not, this dude just uses legit several computers and just micros them.

Personal soap box..

Fuck multi-boxers who are shitty. Yo, I know this applies to no one in FOH but if you are looking at your boxes and you see you occupy the BOTTOM 20% of your fucking classes respective responsibilities on parses, log the fuck out of all but like 1 or 2. People are being nice to you by not telling you that you suck and you are being too autistic to take the fucking hint. Applies even more so if your class is a technical class and you are fucking up the "Skill" checks.

• 1Like

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
UF is really when raids start having more mechanics that pure dps won't get you through in most instances. You have a lot of mid tier guilds that have excessive amounts of toons that get carried, and when people start having to actually pay attention and hit their buttons and do things it all starts falling apart. Warriors start needing to actually tank with shields and use their aas, clerics and other healers need to start using other healing tools they are given etc. Guilds either adapt or die, and a lot die.

• 1Like

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Never really understood why Underfoot is one of those. It's got GoD syndrome where people think it's a lot worse than it actually is. I think a lot of the perceived difficulty with UF is just that most people don't know how to get around it (Arthicrex etc). And tradeskills suddenly being a big deal with Shawl 2.0 is something that a lot of people just don't want to do. Shawl 2.0 is fun so it's a shame more people don't do it.

GoD and UF are very similar in that they were guild killers at release due to being very difficult, both had to be downtuned, people have negative opinions of both as a result, even if they are far more defeatable by average guilds now.

Also good to see LD3 going strong still

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
GoD and UF are very similar in that they were guild killers at release due to being very difficult, both had to be downtuned, people have negative opinions of both as a result, even if they are far more defeatable by average guilds now.

Also good to see LD3 going strong still
Oh the memories of a Guild Killer expansion with a fucking overtuned Fippy fucking Darkpaw raid lmao.

I think my guild went from clearing SoD content with 36 to ...clearing 2 or 3 encounters with a full raid by the time House of Thule came out...

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Oh the memories of a Guild Killer expansion with a fucking overtuned Fippy fucking Darkpaw raid lmao.

I think my guild went from clearing SoD content with 36 to ...clearing 2 or 3 encounters with a full raid by the time House of Thule came out...

Yeah I got pretty tired of wiping to Fippy Fucking Darkpaw every raid night in...what was it, 2009? Actually made me step away from the game for the most part, didn't see much after that until TLPs.

yerm

Wiping to fippy over and over and over seems ironic and appropriate. They even named their next tlp after him.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Can someone give me the quick rundown of which TLPs were when with the first few? I almost got back on board with RF/LJ, but didn't, so I was on Phinny onward.

Combine/Sleeper? - ?
Vulak/Fippy - ?
RF/LJ - ?
Phinigel - Dec 2015

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Can someone give me the quick rundown of which TLPs were when with the first few? I almost got back on board with RF/LJ, but didn't, so I was on Phinny onward.

Combine/Sleeper? - ?
Vulak/Fippy - ?
RF/LJ - ?
Phinigel - Dec 2015

Has a lot of what you're looking for

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
UF Clear List
Altered Minds
Legion of the Dead Three
Rampage
Vets of Norrath

That’s EQ Baby has 10 days left to clear the expansion in era. I am rooting for them, I have to assume they’ve shrunk a lot to be stuck here.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
UF Clear List
Altered Minds
Legion of the Dead Three
Rampage
Vets of Norrath

That’s EQ Baby has 10 days left to clear the expansion in era. I am rooting for them, I have to assume they’ve shrunk a lot to be stuck here.

It's the time old issue suffered by many guilds who recruit "Bodies" when it finally comes down to late game. I hate that mentality of "We just need people" because it's a desperation move and peopel don't realize it; you don't HAVE people because people see the shit hitting the walls regarding player skill levels and raid skill requirements. So many justifications too like "we are the last PST guild!" like that somehow trumps peoples desire not to wipe for hours on end, "At least they are a PST guild!" said no raider ever on the 20th wipe of mid tier content.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's the time old issue suffered by many guilds who recruit "Bodies" when it finally comes down to late game. I hate that mentality of "We just need people" because it's a desperation move and peopel don't realize it; you don't HAVE people because people see the shit hitting the walls regarding player skill levels and raid skill requirements. So many justifications too like "we are the last PST guild!" like that somehow trumps peoples desire not to wipe for hours on end, "At least they are a PST guild!" said no raider ever on the 20th wipe of mid tier content.

Pretty sure they know it's a desperation move, but if the options are fold up now or possibly fold up later then it's a pretty obvious choice

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty sure they know it's a desperation move, but if the options are fold up now or possibly fold up later then it's a pretty obvious choice

Generally the options are typically "Fold up now, into another guild that benches our shit members as we keep raiding" vs "Fold up later and quit the game because all we have left is shit members and no bargaining power for merging".

Xevy

Log Wizard
80% of EverQuest is paying attention and performing what you're supposed to. Not until the mid to late expacs do you need SOME people with the ability to adapt during a fight, and even then once you get gear and AA's in that expac that doesn't even become true.

Netflix and Twitch probably wipe more raids than below average player skill.

yerm

Sometimes the thrill of eq is not having to be good, and being able to mostly just chill with the bros. There are plenty of those types, who could be good and do wild things at times but mostly just coast on raids.

• 6Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 6 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm entirely happy just doing relaxing raids. Tank this, mez that, as long as you have reasonable time to act it's fine. Once it turns into "watch for x emote trigger from Gina/BigWigs then click item Y", or "all stand here, now all except you stand there" dance choreography I just lose interest. I can do it, it's just not fun to me.

Modern EQ/WoW raids feels like that buzzer spiral game where one minor mishap messes it all up. It's fun when you beat it but it's not relaxing or fun to play for 3 hours straight.

1689157790562.png

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Sometimes the thrill of eq is not having to be good, and being able to mostly just chill with the bros. There are plenty of those types, who could be good and do wild things at times but mostly just coast on raids.

I agree 100% to me and many others, EQ is a beer / stoner game, meant to be meme'd and relaxed while playing for the average gamer. I remember 20 years ago fondly downing content, without exploits, typing out massive memes with 72 other people.

Once it turns into "watch for x emote trigger from Gina/BigWigs then click item Y", or "all stand here, now all except you stand there" dance choreography I just lose interest. I can do it, it's just not fun to me.

That EQ is gone from my experience on Aradune (My first time back playing from Gates of Discord on OG release). At some point "strats" just become exploits and I just don't find cheesing bosses for the sake of "Time" fun especially when we have to clear coms every trash pull because people literally cannot function if people are talking around them. Sure, early raids are easily done but once we hit Kunark, the "Strats" started flowing in order to down content quickly. Velious onward? 100% cheesed via "Strats" that apparently the entire community takes part in abusing.

Don't get me wrong, I really don't care about cheesing a 20+ year old game, the issue with me is the mentality. That cheese didn't let us fuck around more, it just made everything a race to see how much we could get done with how little we had, it didn't make an enjoyable experience. Add in people failing bosses that require random player interaction and I was losing interest quick. It's not a fun time to have a boss go on cooldown for 15-20 minutes because people don't know how to play. Like shit, our guild had concise write-ups WITH hotkeys and people still fucked up.

Man I really gotta stop ranting about this game LOL.

• 1Slow
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Underfoot is a good guild-consolidator, as are pretty much every expansion after you hit level 100. You get situations where guilds can't beat these expansions so people leave to join guilds that can, and ultimately guilds fold. None of the above are interesting enough to wipe 20 times a night on.