Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Remember when I used to do the female voice in Faceless?

Comedy gold
The best comedy you did was crushing some euro website for some really random reason.

that was real comedy gold

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Absolutely disgusting to mix with the lesser races.

Innoruuk demands purity.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Back in the early days of EQ, some people used to actually get worked up about dudes playing female characters. How far we've come as a society.

edit: noticed the study section is titled gender-bending. Pretty sure that is now a no-no word. Wow. Much progress.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Underfoot launched a month ago and so far only Altered Minds and Legion of the Dead Three have cleared it. Looks like Vets of Norrath and EQ Baby are going to be 3rd and 4th. Crazy to see how things have changed.

• 1Cringe

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Underfoot launched a month ago and so far only Altered Minds and Legion of the Dead Three have cleared it. Looks like Vets of Norrath and EQ Baby are going to be 3rd and 4th. Crazy to see how things have changed.

Oof down to 4 active guilds now?

Morbid curiosity made me look up the guild I was in prior to rage quitting...50 items in 30 days, I never played UF but that seems like some bullshit given in SoD they had 210 items in a 30 day stretch.

Kobrah, dude I dunno how you are still sane after looking at yalls raids. At least paladious gettin some gear lol..

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Oof down to 4 active guilds now?

Morbid curiosity made me look up the guild I was in prior to rage quitting...50 items in 30 days, I never played UF but that seems like some bullshit given in SoD they had 210 items in a 30 day stretch.

Kobrah, dude I dunno how you are still sane after looking at yalls raids. At least paladious gettin some gear lol..
I think there are more than 4 but progression for many of them is pretty slow. Also sort of wild and sad to see TEB fading.

• 1Like

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Do people just not burn out of this? I assume a majority of Progression server players keep jumping to the newest progression servers as they are released.

How does this maintain anyone's interest over time? Every strat and secret is known, there is no more mystery at all.

How do yall guys keep this up year after year? I can understand a nostalgia trip now and again, but it's unreal how some of yall keep up the pace and still redo the same shit over and over after 20 years.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Do people just not burn out of this? I assume a majority of Progression server players keep jumping to the newest progression servers as they are released.

How does this maintain anyone's interest over time? Every strat and secret is known, there is no more mystery at all.

How do yall guys keep this up year after year? I can understand a nostalgia trip now and again, but it's unreal how some of yall keep up the pace and still redo the same shit over and over after 20 years.

Think of it like some dudes playing in the same bowling or softball league over a long period of time. You're mostly just hanging out with some guys you like hanging out with and maybe meeting a couple new people along the way. You like the activity itself well enough and it's probably not going to surprise you but occasionally it still might.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Theres usually a good chunk of players who have never seen past certain expansions, so they stay around to check them out. The server usually keeps surviving because mercs become available, and boxing becomes allowed. So one guild can stay afloat.

The people who TLP hop like myself, usually do it because they just want to play EQ with all their old friends again.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't know what it's like on Aradune but Oakwynd has a fucking army of P99 players that still somehow have never played on a TLP before. For them the game is different enough for it to all be a new experience.

• 1Worf

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
What happened to TEB?

Even when I was playing TEB was dwindling. Hell Taveren was even taking in their alts because their raids were so light (Tav's not TEB's) on players and TEB alts wanted to raid more.

Dumbest shit ever to take someones KNOWN alt into your guild to gear up...

---

It's the beer league.

What I don't get is the level of stress that people put on the game. People play this as almost a full-time job, playing for 4-8 hours a day and 8-12 hours on raid days. Like I don't get that shit unless that was legit 20 years ago and trying for world-first clears. Every strat is known at this point and is passed down like some totem from server to server with "Amazing" strats like how to beat a boss without even fighting it! So cool!

I can 100% see if you have 2 beer league teams that "Compete" against eachother for things. That would be entertaining for a bit.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even when I was playing TEB was dwindling. Hell Taveren was even taking in their alts because their raids were so light (Tav's not TEB's) on players and TEB alts wanted to raid more.

Dumbest shit ever to take someones KNOWN alt into your guild to gear up...

This is something I think 9 out of 10 people will agree with you and not me on, but I disagree and don't really understand why that's the case. Many of my favorite tlpers like plop and astral would also raid on live and it's totally fine, but put a same server alt into a different guild and it's an atrocity? Why?

Most top guilds run into a problem by the 70s of their support classes, often healers, falling off in number while having too many tanks and tank-capable dps. They struggle to keep around clerics and enchanters while generally turning away all but the best plate tanks. These guilds struggle to keep these players especially in a hard expac like UF because a caster or healer main has a lot of trouble doing shit without someone handholding them, or are pidgeonholed into goofy mage tanking plays that can be frustrating for a non cheating boxer. They'd love to do the usual knight and healer and maybe a bard or whatever 2 or 3 box, but if the tank isn't your main, its a dogshit boxing setup.

Meanwhile, in the lower ranked guilds, you often see the opposite problem. It's hard to keep reliable tanks as ones that get geared up and have excellent playtime move to greener pastures. You find current content challenging most often due to tanking issues. If you have good high playtime people roll tanks, they end up in better guilds. If you have less skilled and/or active tanks, it compounds the problem. If you overpopulate on tanks it just spreads your already inferior gear acquisition around too much.

I would think a totally win/win solution is if those non tank/tank-capable classes from the top guild who are skilled and high playtime but frustrated at a lack of geared tank box, could easily solve the problem by having an alt in an instance only guild with non overlapping raid hours. While it wouldn't be a magic win win solution, having the highly active tanks making support chars and doing the same, I don't see how it hurts either. The only way this becomes a problem is if they leave promptly after gearing or are actively poaching people while tagged. Just in general, if there's no scheduling conflicts, I'd think there's huge potential benefit.

Zaide

TLP Idealist

It’s exactly the opposite. The people going deep into the expansions are not the people doing the same shit over and over after 20 years.

The same way it was fun as hell when I went back to play the original Mega Man X on the snes for the first time like 10 years after it released even though any amount of info could just be googled.

If you have never played an EQ expansion or you have favorite expansions that you want to replay there is no good way to do it on live in an authentic way. TLP is the way.

Lastly, there are tons of strats and secrets still figured out every single TLP. The thing modern TLP guilds do for many expansions are nothing like what original guilds did during them.

• 1Like

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
This is something I think 9 out of 10 people will agree with you and not me on, but I disagree and don't really understand why that's the case. Many of my favorite tlpers like plop and astral would also raid on live and it's totally fine, but put a same server alt into a different guild and it's an atrocity? Why?

Most top guilds run into a problem by the 70s of their support classes, often healers, falling off in number while having too many tanks and tank-capable dps. They struggle to keep around clerics and enchanters while generally turning away all but the best plate tanks. These guilds struggle to keep these players especially in a hard expac like UF because a caster or healer main has a lot of trouble doing shit without someone handholding them, or are pidgeonholed into goofy mage tanking plays that can be frustrating for a non cheating boxer. They'd love to do the usual knight and healer and maybe a bard or whatever 2 or 3 box, but if the tank isn't your main, its a dogshit boxing setup.

Meanwhile, in the lower ranked guilds, you often see the opposite problem. It's hard to keep reliable tanks as ones that get geared up and have excellent playtime move to greener pastures. You find current content challenging most often due to tanking issues. If you have good high playtime people roll tanks, they end up in better guilds. If you have less skilled and/or active tanks, it compounds the problem. If you overpopulate on tanks it just spreads your already inferior gear acquisition around too much.

I would think a totally win/win solution is if those non tank/tank-capable classes from the top guild who are skilled and high playtime but frustrated at a lack of geared tank box, could easily solve the problem by having an alt in an instance only guild with non overlapping raid hours. While it wouldn't be a magic win win solution, having the highly active tanks making support chars and doing the same, I don't see how it hurts either. The only way this becomes a problem is if they leave promptly after gearing or are actively poaching people while tagged. Just in general, if there's no scheduling conflicts, I'd think there's huge potential benefit.
You are correct with a lot of the issues. For example, when I play TLPs I usually box, because I have a crazy schedule and consistently grouping with others is an issue and the gear/leveling cliques can get catty or greedy. I usually main a SK and this allows my lesser geared alts (clerics etc) to get carried by the tank. Otherwise, with a gimp SK/Tank its hard to progress efficiently. I finally had to put down Rizlona awhile ago because I was just too busy to justify continued playing the way I wanted.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
4 guilds finishing Underfoot is good I think, if they all succeed. I was under the impression that most servers only have like 1-2 guilds able to clear Convorteum in-era.

I think Underfoot is one of the main die-off points for servers. You've got the extended PoP era, the 70 era, Underfoot, and eventually the Darkened Sea/Broken Mirror duo which seem to all be mass die-off points.

Never really understood why Underfoot is one of those. It's got GoD syndrome where people think it's a lot worse than it actually is. I think a lot of the perceived difficulty with UF is just that most people don't know how to get around it (Arthicrex etc). And tradeskills suddenly being a big deal with Shawl 2.0 is something that a lot of people just don't want to do. Shawl 2.0 is fun so it's a shame more people don't do it.

krysanth krysanth Maining a tank is totally the way to go, Paladin and SK are both solid cores for boxing. I knew a bard once who mained the bard and had a box warrior (or maybe it was an SK). So his bard was raid-geared and his tank...wasn't, and was always behind. We all kind of wondered about that guy. Wonder where he disappeared to.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
4 guilds finishing Underfoot is good I think, if they all succeed. I was under the impression that most servers only have like 1-2 guilds able to clear Convorteum in-era.

I think Underfoot is one of the main die-off points for servers. You've got the extended PoP era, the 70 era, Underfoot, and eventually the Darkened Sea/Broken Mirror duo which seem to all be mass die-off points.

Never really understood why Underfoot is one of those. It's got GoD syndrome where people think it's a lot worse than it actually is. I think a lot of the perceived difficulty with UF is just that most people don't know how to get around it (Arthicrex etc). And tradeskills suddenly being a big deal with Shawl 2.0 is something that a lot of people just don't want to do. Shawl 2.0 is fun so it's a shame more people don't do it.

krysanth krysanth Maining a tank is totally the way to go, Paladin and SK are both solid cores for boxing. I knew a bard once who mained the bard and had a box warrior (or maybe it was an SK). So his bard was raid-geared and his tank...wasn't, and was always behind. We all kind of wondered about that guy. Wonder where he disappeared to.

Imagine if some guild on the server raided at different times than your guild and he raided with them on his warrior so that it could have raid gear, albeit maybe casual not quite as good but still raid quality gear. Imagine!

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Imagine if some guild on the server raided at different times than your guild and he raided with them on his warrior so that it could have raid gear, albeit maybe casual not quite as good but still raid quality gear. Imagine!

Yeah it was all quite strange. Not sure why anyone would ever box a Bard/Warrior and have the BARD be the one geared up. He didn't last long in the guild.