Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It’s pure garbage and a waste of time.

At the time it felt like such a big deal, a mountain full of dragons. Also at the time only like two guilds had actually been there to know how awful the place was. I think with NTOV they tried the same concept and nailed it though.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
At the time it felt like such a big deal, a mountain full of dragons. Also at the time only like two guilds had actually been there to know how awful the place was. I think with NTOV they tried the same concept and nailed it though.

Yeah in 2000-02 it was cool. I remember I got my wizard that free nuke Robe which was awesome.

Agreed NTOV is amazing

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It was great originally. The stats might not have been all that good but everything looked really cool, and we still didn't know all the drops.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
VP suffers heavily from bad itemization. Anything you kill can drop multiple of a thing including trash common items or class specific items no one needs on top of some of the dragons really only having one or two chase items to begin with. Server first Silverwing was three druid staffs and some spells. Weapons fucking plague their loot tables in an era where almost everyone's epic is the way to go.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Didn't VP have some nutty death penaltys ot smth originally? Its like the only pre GoD raids i never did.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Didn't VP have some nutty death penaltys ot smth originally? Its like the only pre GoD raids i never did.

So initially the word from on high was that GMs wouldn't help you out if things got fucky on top of no key ring. If everyone died terribly inside well then good luck getting back in.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
VP loot is good in the context of an EQ where each class has like 1-3 epics complete per server pre velious.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

IIRC (and I might be wrong, it was long ago and I only read about it at the time) it was a zone that you couldn't leave once you zoned in. The early devs loved to do this to put the fear of God into players. Fear, Sebilis, VP, ToV. However unlike the other listed zones, you couldn't gate or port out of VP either. You were legitimately stuck there until your raid defeated a dragon. This is why the dragons all have teleport pads behind them. Combine this with corpses leaving all of your stuff in the zone (including the VP key) and it meant that if your raid wiped in VP they were basically screwed unless you had a backup retrieval team ready to go in there and start dragging. The only way to zone out without killing a dragon was to get rezzed out, i.e. accept a rezz box from outside VP. So yeah, it had a monster penalty for failure, ensuring that only the tippy-top guilds even tried it.

Anyone remember that Everlore site? It was cool because it had screenshots of all the bosses...and tons of BS. Comments from people saying they solo'd the Sleeper with their 60 druid. I remember there being a bunch of fake mob entries for a dragon called "Avatar of Eternity" that you defeated at the end of NToV to get access to the "Plane of Eternity" which was more dragons. Just really wacky made-up shit.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1598252432072.png

Found this super-old picture of The Sleeper before he got his finished transparent look. He's a larger Yelinak with Vulak's head. He also briefly looked like a giant Doug before this too.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
fck i wanna load up a box for eq and going 1-60 as a lizard - but damn, all the chat about aradune makes me squeamish to join the cuckfuck

When you got dudes named Cukernaut bowing out, you know it's ugly.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
VP, and Kunark in general, is by far the worst of all eras of EQ raiding. It's almost the exact same formula as VT in Luclin but unlike VT shards most of the VP pieces are single spawns/PHs per pick. And all of that effort is to get to a zone where there's about 4 pieces of loot worth wearing in the next same-level expansion and half the dragons aren't worth killing Day 1 of expansion.

Imma just chill on an iksar necro SSF and "miss" this era I think, Omens on Mangler more appealing than running across EJ/TT for the 60 trakanon batphones.
Kunark isn't about the raiding, that's where SoV shines. Kunark is about how goddamn much the leveling process is opened up and expanded over original EQ. That's exactly why all TLPs should at least start with Kunark enabled, especially since TLPs are always a shitfest when it comes to the initial leveling portion. Mob density sucks absolute cock in OG EQ, except in a few zones (which, no fucking duh, are the zones everybody is fucking packed into). Kunark expands that so fucking much and places like Chardok, Seb, and to a lesser extent HS are littered with mobs. In fact, most dungeons in Kunark are loaded with mobs (Karnor's is actually one of the exceptions to this IMO. That zone is small as fuck when you really think about it). Then you have the outdoor areas which are just as nice and you aren't spending fucking 10 minutes between pulls like you do in old world outdoor areas (what few of them there are that aren't ultra-concentrated in the level 10-30 range. OOT is about the only "high-level" outdoor zone available in old-world, unless you want to count shit like PoFear).

Luclin basically does the same thing as Kunark and blows the fucking doors off the leveling path again by expanding it. It also suffers from a shitty raiding game but unlike Kunark, it has garbage high-level dungeons (some of the lower-level dungeons aren't as bad).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Classic leveling was just painful, especially playing after the rush. I remember enjoying how much Luclin opened up the game, as well. It has been a long-time since I actually did any leveling in Luclin though.

Kayak

Trakanon Raider
Any FoH able to throw mid 30's bard some hand me downs? Managed to buy a smoldering brand pre-kunark and was gifted a SSB. Pimpin it with that atm! Oh and I totally forgot what leveling in Dreadlands was like, its been forever. And....it hasn't changed.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Any FoH able to throw mid 30's bard some hand me downs? Managed to buy a smoldering brand pre-kunark and was gifted a SSB. Pimpin it with that atm! Oh and I totally forgot what leveling in Dreadlands was like, its been forever. And....it hasn't changed.

What's your char name? I may have some stuff.