Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

Leon

<Silver Donator>
#bringbackOldFreeport

cat bed GIF

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Can't get too worked up over Freeport. Ak'Anon is the only starter city that really matters.

• 1Solidarity

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Always thought the easiest way to do an event server was to restrict the races you can play. Say a server where you can only make dwarves, so you have no access to bards, int casters or shamans. It'd force people into different ways of playing instead of doing the same zones and encounters in the same way. Obviously the lifespan will be limited because you're probably going to run into an encounter that's just not doable at some point, so it should have fast xp and expansions and then be merged it into a TLP when it's finished. It's also really only interesting if the race choice denies you access to a cornerstone class like warriors, enchanters or clerics.

Masakari

Pattern Recognition Expert
<Gold Donor>
Always thought the easiest way to do an event server was to restrict the races you can play. Say a server where you can only make dwarves, so you have no access to bards, int casters or shamans. It'd force people into different ways of playing instead of doing the same zones and encounters in the same way. Obviously the lifespan will be limited because you're probably going to run into an encounter that's just not doable at some point, so it should have fast xp and expansions and then be merged it into a TLP when it's finished. It's also really only interesting if the race choice denies you access to a cornerstone class like warriors, enchanters or clerics.
Gnomes & Dwarves only would be fun :)

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Dark Elf or Gnome only would be pretty fun. I think they share the exact same classes (gnomes get pals) but are lacking a few which would change things up a bit, also believe there's no real hard blocks on raid content they could conceivably beat.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I think there's no chance of a server like that lasting more than a few months or a couple expansions, so dpg won't ever do it

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
See you are looking at this from a logic point of view.

My counter argument in all these situations now is: Miragul.
That's fair.

However, race raised restricted servers are something that people actually want. DPG gives us things that nobody's asking for.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Give us old Freeport and Commonlands and DBG will see the biggest sub numbers for a TLP ever! Shit throw in a Kunark start and their servers will melt.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'd rather have less restrictions, not more. Or randomize race/class combos. I think they've avoided this because of trainers, the little note to turn in etc, but overcoming those challenges would be something fun for veterans (99% of tlp players).

They need to do something to make it more "seasonal".

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Arbitrary Arbitrary Thanks for the info. That makes sense. My toon is Flark.

Just bear in mind that if you level with this method, your skill levels are going to be pretty far behind and you're basically going to suck until you fight for a while and catch your weapon skills up.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Can't figure out what to play as an Alt. Ranger main, and have Shaman, Enchanter, and Cleric all available to me.

Definitely Bard. Unless the alt could develop into your new main, in which case SK or Paladin. The only "weak point" of your group is the lack of knight. However if your Ranger is gonna be raid geared and capable of tanking and you just want an alt, Bard would enhance everybody.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Give us old Freeport and Commonlands and DBG will see the biggest sub numbers for a TLP ever! Shit throw in a Kunark start and their servers will melt.

The problem is that they can't revert Freeport for an event server without doing it on all servers. Which would be great if they did that, but waaaay too many later quests are tied into New Freeport. Those quests would be totally messed-up by a reversion. PoR would be thrown into chaos. Yeah, a small price to pay, I know.

Ideas for event servers:
-Kerafyrm - Start at level 50 in Velious with Luclin and PoP unlocking after 2 and 4 weeks respectively, goal is to be the first to get to 65, gear up in Time, and defeat the Sleeper (who gets reset 30 hrs after each awakening once PoP is unlocked, or something). Without GoD gear or level 70, defeating the Sleeper would be a serverwide, 100-person effort type thing, and only attempt-able several times a week.

-Kerafyrm (alternate) - Server starts in TSS with everyone at level 1. We've never had a server like that, and TSS is the last expansion to have content all the way from level 1 on up. So it'd be a brand new experience. You could even have this be a regular server and go from there. For the event server idea, the goal would be to reach level 80 and be the first to defeat Kerafyrm in Crystallos. Buried Sea and SoF unlock 2 and 4 weeks after server launch respectively, so similar idea to the other Kera server. This one is interesting to me because you're using TSS zones to level up as a group, plus TBS will now be leveling content (which means the instances there get a lot more use). You've got more levels to cover in one month than the other server (80 versus 15) but it's offset by being on the TSS exp table which will probably balance it out.

Sebilis server: Classic and Kunark both available at launch with a level cap of 50, everyone starts at 1, goal is to be the first to defeat Trakanon under those rules. Trak is instance-only to force people to win the fight with 54, thus making it a guild competition rather than a server effort like the first Kera idea.

The third one would take the most programming adjustment (and may not even be possible) while the other two would be pretty easy to implement. The second one is the one I see as being the most doable of the 3, and being a 75-80 cap situation it'd kinda pick up where the Quarm event server left off.

• 1Like

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Just bear in mind that if you level with this method, your skill levels are going to be pretty far behind and you're basically going to suck until you fight for a while and catch your weapon skills up.

With the new catch up mechanic this is much less of an issue than it used to be.