Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

Foaming

Lord Nagafen Raider
Reduce the resists and make hInt/hWis do something to dps like hDex does. The bonus is that this will also help balance casters all throughout the game since they lack the scaling melee have on hstats later on.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Reduce the resists and make hInt/hWis do something to dps like hDex does. The bonus is that this will also help balance casters all throughout the game since they lack the scaling melee have on hstats later on.
The problem re: TLP is this further trivializes already easy expansions.

Foaming

Lord Nagafen Raider
Add a version of MotM that doesnt screw pet classes but does increase the difficulty slightly!

Coka

Golden Squire
Add a version of MotM that doesnt screw pet classes but does increase the difficulty slightly!

Will 100% get exploited again. Ragefire was carnage when you had to fight 40 mages for Trakanon!

Out of curiosity how would you increase the difficulty?

Foaming

Lord Nagafen Raider
No I mean for only GoD+ events. Who cares if pet classes are "exploiting" that content. Lets get people to stay on these servers a bit longer.

Same way it was increased for classic-pop. Increased melee and spell dmg, and make the fights last longer so you have to actually do the mechanics. This is if you find allowing casters to participate really trivalizes things. I don't think it matters.

Vise

Molten Core Raider
They should just tone back raid sizes imo. a raid can afford to have almost whatever they want in it because how many players they allow in a raid. Change Classic content to 54 man raids Ldon + to 36 man raids.

Buff classic rogues and make it so casters can land there dam spells. then you can make small adjustments from there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vise

Molten Core Raider
I would be fine with classic even being 36 man raids if they tweak casters to be able to land spells.

• 1Like

Coka

Golden Squire
No I mean for only GoD+ events. Who cares if pet classes are "exploiting" that content. Lets get people to stay on these servers a bit longer.

Same way it was increased for classic-pop. Increased melee and spell dmg, and make the fights last longer so you have to actually do the mechanics. This is if you find allowing casters to participate really trivalizes things. I don't think it matters.

Too much work for the average EQ Dev.

I can't believe how few they have for this game yet pump out expansions every year!

Milking that cash cow however they can!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Oh I don't think Mischief survives long term at all. Random loot is going to suck when you have to farm AC augs for your tanks and such. It is, however, a very fun ruleset for the early eras which TLP players tend to enjoy the most anyways.

Yeah, I'm wondering how Mischief is going to look on later expansions with standardized loot. Pretty much everything from TBS or SoF onward has completely standardized tiers of gear. I think TSS will be like the last hurrah for Mischief being all that interesting. It's an amazing ruleset for the early stuff though, for sure.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Level 70 expansions are mostly bad, DoDH is the one stand out, but even it is rough for casters and priests. Casters because the shitty level 70 raid tier where mobs need to be super debuffed just to land basic DPS spells in raids, and Priests because DoDH has a lot of group content you have to churn through and by the time DoDH has hit most of your tanks will have become boxers (on truebox or no) and Priest mains have 0 ability to solo or do meaningful group content going forward.

I've told people many times there's an amazing stretch of expansions from TSS thru to RoF that are worth seeing, but a huge % of people will just never get through the 70s because it's 4 expansions in a row that have lots of issues.

TSS through RoF is my favorite stretch of EQ, by far. GoD is also pretty great, though after that the level 70 era goes on for a bit too long. By the time TSS drops it's like a revelation. It's too bad so many people don't want to play past PoP, either because they have preconceived notions about GoD, or because they're only chasing the hit of nostalgia. While I like classic as much as anybody, TSS+ are the real game IMO. I also think the expansion quality goes off a bit of a cliff after RoF and only gets worse as it goes along (with some exceptions, TBL is pretty cool). That TSS to RoF (level 75 to 100) era is something people need to give a chance to though.

Been saying it for a while, there really needs to be a TSS-start TLP.

• 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Their heroic start server was such a bust I don't think TSS start is gonna be considered for several cycles at least. Which is a shame because I do like 75+ eq too.

I'd like to see the 70s get bundled and shipped as one. It is by far the most stable in terms of content where you would not skip prior expacs and you would effectively farm about the same stuff as you did with it being one at a time; just less backfarming GoD. Nobody would ever skip anguish, nobody would skip vish/don at least getting progression quest drops, and demi/dk would be the meat by the end of the era either way. This allows people to do 66-70 in some of the very cool DODH zones if they want those, or in easy DON missions if they're into those kindsa things (there's always a few ldon etc group content lovers). I actually like some of the earlier POR content before DK and this gives it breathing room if you're like me and might do it, but easily skipped in favor of stuff like mpg grinding or whatever if not.

I'd make a similar argument for all the eras up to 85, but the 70s are definitely the most glaring. Selo starting in luclin was GREAT and I despise classic start even more since I've breathed the fresh air of an alternative. Having GOD out before you've farmed time for half a year would make a good challenging expansion even better, meanwhile, nobody is really going to skip POP even with it and ldon gets to be an alternative rather than a mainstay as it should be; the niche few who love it get to love it, the majority who dislike it can minimize it to a tolerable amount only, everyone's happy.

I have this suspicion though that the people in charge don't REALLY care if there's massive attrition in that 65-70 range. Restarts buy more bags and mounts.

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
+1 for the TSS start server, have also suggested that over on the official forums, I think it's different enough to the Miragul failure to be worth considering.

You can do 1 to 75 entirely in that expac and get neat group gear along the way, definitely a lot of fun to be had IMO. Disable defiant gear and auto grant for at least a year though.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Rizlona mindset is the same mindset that I saw on Selo's, despite what others have said that Sieger made sure everyone was helping each other. I was a solo player, and had no intentions to try and solo anything, but wanted to group, and there was for sure a crew out there that helped Power level me to 70, and my buddy even was doing some power leveling to get some AA's, but it sucked trying to do anything as I'd just replace one of my buddies boxes and now his boxes were falling behind.

Everyone 6 boxed, and was self sufficient. They didn't need your shitty DPS, as they were able to do their own. That sucked. As much as I want to be able to unlimited box, and use basic MQ2 for QoL things, that mind set is horrible to try and play again, and so I don't think it'd be worth it.

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
I mean for group progression on new expansions we always tried to make sure everyone had help on Selo, and for people trying to catch up on levels. But that was about the limit of what we could feasible, from a leadership perspective, promote. I didn't have the energy or the ability to make sure someone had a group to farm every AC aug they wanted and etc. Hence the problem I observed (and have observed on many other servers), where after a certain point virtually all your tanks are boxers who don't need anyone in their group, and regular players can't easily xp or farm group specific items like augs. Which is one reason why I like the freebox servers/live.

While I enjoy a real human group a lot of the time, sometimes I want to farm shit while half afk watching Netflix, or be able to just randomly AFK for 25 minutes. in a group of real people that's kind of bad form, boxing you are free to do that whenever you want.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I mean for group progression on new expansions we always tried to make sure everyone had help on Selo, and for people trying to catch up on levels. But that was about the limit of what we could feasible, from a leadership perspective, promote. I didn't have the energy or the ability to make sure someone had a group to farm every AC aug they wanted and etc. Hence the problem I observed (and have observed on many other servers), where after a certain point virtually all your tanks are boxers who don't need anyone in their group, and regular players can't easily xp or farm group specific items like augs. Which is one reason why I like the freebox servers/live.

While I enjoy a real human group a lot of the time, sometimes I want to farm shit while half afk watching Netflix, or be able to just randomly AFK for 25 minutes. in a group of real people that's kind of bad form, boxing you are free to do that whenever you want.

Some of those tanks did help people get shit though. Random ass stupid shit no, but like xak for example was hooking my group up with stuff left and right despite 6boxing and chasing achievements. I don't think it's so much that tanks can't fuck off and netflix on their own, rather it's the attitude that if your guildmates need shit it's everyone's problem not just theirs. I compare it to basically every guild I'd been in between there and roi, in which if someone didn't have their shit together it was their fault and probably worth making fun of them for.

We also didn't funnel tanks or give them bonus dkp so it's not like there's reasonable argument for them owing their time in return. Other guilds tanks get slammed gear and then fuck off and it really fucks the people shorthanded early into expacs.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
+1 for the TSS start server, have also suggested that over on the official forums, I think it's different enough to the Miragul failure to be worth considering.

You can do 1 to 75 entirely in that expac and get neat group gear along the way, definitely a lot of fun to be had IMO. Disable defiant gear and auto grant for at least a year though.

Yeah, Miragul was an odd idea that no one really asked for, and all it succeeded in doing was splintering off some of Phinny's population. It was a House of Thule launch, right after Phinny finished with House of Thule. So basically one guild that was having issues with VoA and wanted to stay in HoT jumped over, that's it.

A TSS launch would be interesting because it's the only level 1-and-up expansion after Kunark and Luclin. It has huge zones with tons of sub-areas and quest arcs that would support a lot of people leveling up. TSS zones have a lot more content than the traditional level-up zones, and yet they never really get a lot of use. Not compared to how they would on a new server, anyway. There should be some freshness involved in everyone going 1-75 in the same set of zones that a lot of people haven't really done much in before, and people who want to level in more traditional zones would have that option as well. TSS launch should be a win-win and if they sufficiently hyped it, a good way to introduce the TLP crowd to new levels of the game.

It would also be interesting to see how high-level people on a TSS server tackled the earlier expansions. Would some guilds try to plow through GoD/OoW/DoDH to gear up for the TSS raids? It'd be a busy server for those first couple months, no doubt. Also with all of the new achievements added for the middle tier of expansions, something that kinda started with TSS, they could emphasize gathering those and being completionists. Call it the Achievements server and have a leaderboard, IDK.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
See ideas like these have been possible on emu for a long while. I don't know why emu has such wild negative stigma when it's literally more customizable than anything the EQLive devs could cobble together with restrictions. All it takes is one person that knows very basic game design / coding skills to do, and you'd have a server that's immensely popular.

I guess there's little overlap between sane server administrators, content creators, and EQ players. And even more smaller overlap in people with free time, as by administrating a server, you won't have time to play on it. That's the biggest holdup for me, honestly.

• 1Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
See ideas like these have been possible on emu for a long while. I don't know why emu has such wild negative stigma when it's literally more customizable than anything the EQLive devs could cobble together with restrictions. All it takes is one person that knows very basic game design / coding skills to do, and you'd have a server that's immensely popular.

I guess there's little overlap between sane server administrators, content creators, and EQ players. And even more smaller overlap in people with free time, as by administrating a server, you won't have time to play on it. That's the biggest holdup for me, honestly.
The emus have a negative reputation because of people like you.

• 2Moron
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
The emus have a negative reputation because of people like you.
What have I done to piss in your cheerios?

Spent a quarter of my life preserving this game and allowing others to do so, and to explore their creativity in their own way. I don't understand how that gives the entire emu a negative reputation, in fact, it's the opposite.

If you're talking about how opinionated I am in comparison to others, well, guess what: that's life. You will meet people you don't agree with and some of them will be more vocal than others in expressing their opinions, and different in comfort levels of accepting opinions, and on various different subjects.

Focus on facts. Simply going up to someone and saying "An entire community has a negative reputation because of one person" is not factual or based in reality. That's like saying Zaide, Mabbu or Atabashi represents every EQLive player. If you have a problem with me, tell it to my face and back it up with facts; I have done far more benefits than harm in my time on emu.

If you have a way to beneficially contribute to the conversation, and have experience doing so, ie; "EQLive developers are exploring those mediums, and I have been a primary force in telling them as such with x documentation and review", or "I've tried improving the game through emu firsthand and didn't have a great experience because x was too complex to utilize", then maybe your opinion would be remotely based in fact and actionable. As it stands, you sound like a whiny child who is throwing a tantrum because you've heard of me, and hate me because of what you've heard, and judge and dismiss an entire collective of people because of the selective actions of one person that you decided know 'of', but not actually 'know'.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
Most people play MMOs to build and advance a character over time. Emus tends to fall into two categories: somewhat faithful emulations of specific eras of EQ (p99, TAK Project probably being the most famous), or ones that try to do some de novo content creation using the engine (Shards of Dalaya, Hidden Forest and EZ Server maybe the most famous of those?)

I think other than p99 and TAK Project most of the emus I mentioned have fallen off hard, I had some friends playing Shards in the last couple years who said it's gotten a bit higher population recently, but nothing like its glory days. So if you want a large community it really comes down to the p99 servers, but p99 is also a very specific type of EverQuest (a Velious-locked server with Rogean rules) that some people just may not want.

The tools are certainly there to do other creative things with EQ Emu, but how many people spin up an emu server that sounds interesting, get bored and shut it down? As a player why would I invest time in something a single admin could nuke just because they get mad one day or bored or etc and don't feel like running it anymore.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users