Everything Options

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
When you say, "So you can see the closer to the money you are...", are you saying the money is the actual stock price at that time?

Yes at the money means the stock is trading at the strike price.

I also don't understand the delta. Yesterday, when you posted, AAPL was $135. If I'm bullish wouldn't I buy a call @ 135+? And the further away from 135 I get, wouldn't the delta increase? It shows that the delta decreases. Is that because the higher my strike the less likely it is to hit that, so the price I have to pay is less? Whereas if I buy a Call close to the current value, it's more likely to hit that, so the delta is higher?

When a stock price moves the options move but this movement is not 1:1. THe delta is the ratio between those two movements. The delta is changing as well it represents at that moment. So in your example it would make no sense for delta to be larger further out of the money, the close they are to being in the money the more they will move in whole dollar terms. What you are thinking may make more sense if you think as a percentage. Assume a stock moves $1. A way out of the money option with a very small delta may go from 0.03 to 0.04 that's a one penny change for a $1 move but as a percentage it's quite large. An option very near the money during the same $1 move may go up $0.50 from $2.00->$2.50 a much smaller percentage change but a much larger dollar move.

You also said if I buy a stirke @ 145 I would pay $25... But the bid is .24 and the ask is .26. Am I just paying the average on 100 shares? So (.24+.26)/2 = .25 x 100 = $25? I also don't understand where 145.25 comes into play if I bought the strike @ 145.

Prices for options can be multiplied by 100 as 1 contract is the minimum. So if it's 0.25x100=$25 cost per contract.

The $145.25 comes into play because that is your break even. Yes the strike was $145 but you paid 0.25 for the option. You always combine the strike and the amount you pay to determine your break even.

Also, if I buy @ 145 and it goes to 137, how do I know I can sell for $33-$37? Which calculations or columns am I using? How do I know my profit is $8-$12 per contract?
Because of math. I give the range as I can't know the exact amount but based on the delta I can approximate how the option would price in the near term based on a give movement.

I apologize for the vanessa style post but probably most functional given the intent.

• 1Tendies
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wrote the $22 strike puts on PLTR expiring 3/19. 72 cent premium. I aint afraid of earnings.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
CCIV $20 strike puts down 25% today.

Bella Thorne Happy Dance GIF by Music Choice

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Blazin Blazin At some point what this thread needs is a solid explanation of IV. I don't think very many folks here understand how it impacts premium and why KO options sell for pennies and CCIV sells for dollars.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Man if people don't get that Coke is incredibly stable and a SPAC is tied to tweets/merger talk and how that would affect what people would be willing to pay to insure their position, I don't think they need to be in options.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more Blazin knowledge if he wants to drop it.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm pretty sure discussions of ATM belong in the NSFW section of the site. In fact we might already have a thread for it. :eek:
Im such a boomer I had to think about that for a second to think what you meant, 20+yrs of marriage hard to think outside of P in the V

• 1Double Worf

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Was able to close out my LAZR 2/19 30$ options for .10, original premium was 1.30. VLDR is looking rough after the ford sell off news, 2/19 22.50$ and its currently out of the money. Sold PLTR 29 strike today for 2.19 1.45 premium.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Was able to close out my LAZR 2/19 30$ options for .10, original premium was 1.30. VLDR is looking rough after the ford sell off news, 2/19 22.50$ and its currently out of the money. Sold PLTR 29 strike today for 2.19 1.45 premium.
My VLDR 17.5s are still looking good, but not nearly as good as they did pre-Ford news.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wrote the $35 strike puts April expiry on CCIV. $7.20 premium. That gives me a cost basis of $27.80 if assigned.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The 30 and 35 stirkes are both attractive, though I'd go with the Mar over April, I don't like going too far out.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The 30 and 35 stirkes are both attractive, though I'd go with the Mar over April, I don't like going too far out.

I hear you and I was bouncing the two around on paper. I went Apr because I have no intention of actually being in the trade that far out if I can avoid it and when I compared the two in terms of cost basis if assigned there were actually really close. So I took the higher premium.