Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
EG2_GameplayTrailerSteamGIF_MaxGlobe.gif

Steam: HERE
Genre(s): Simulation, Strategy, Base Building
Developer: Rebellion
Publisher: Rebellion
Release Date: March 30, 2021

It is a base building game (sort of like dungeon keeper) with a strategy world overlay (picking what to steal and how to make money) set in a campy James Bond like universe.

Release date has finally been set. The first game was great, lets hope Rebellion can pick up where Elixir Studios (Evil Genius 1 Dev) left off.

Latest 10 min Gameplay clip of intro/tutorial:

Trailer:

First game, from 2004, link: HERE

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Pre-order just went live today. More than I expected it to be, but fuck it, I bought the Deluxe Edition! Loved the first game.

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Fun fact: The first game was made by Elixir Studios, founded by Demis Hassabis, who has moved on to bigger things:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Tons of YouTubers and streamers seem to have gotten a preview version and have videos up, if you want to see some of the action. I'm not going to link any because if you have a favorite reviewer, chances are they have a video for it. I can't believe how freaking many of them popped up in the past few days.

From looking at a few, I'm really excited for this game.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Loved the first game, a sequel I was not expecting but am glad to see. Now if we could get another Populous or Startopia game I could die happy.

If you are interested in EG2 and haven't played Startopia, go play it now.

Edit: My fucking god they actually are doing it:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

yeah, every youtuber playing the damn thing for their preview. looks amazing.

but, I really want to see what kind of depth it has first. Dungeon keepers are notoriously shallow. demo here didn't give any glimpses into any hidden depths.
one of the streamers complained that EG 1 had issues with, balance.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Reminds me of Two Point Hospital, which worked great on Switch so I hope this'll be eventually ported on it too. It looks fun.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
I have about 5 hours into it. The tutorial is fairly lengthy but it isn't bad (it is also skipable). They kept a lot of the same mechanics from the first Evil Genius. All of those that came over to this sequel are much smoother and more polished. It's funny(ish) so far. My wife works from home next to me and was laughing at this a little. So far I have experienced no bugs of any kind. It is running very smooth every where. Transitioning from the tactical map where you run missions back to your base can have a small but noticeable lag. I only mention it because of how buttery smooth every other interface is. I am playing on a NVIDIA 1080.

Early impression is if you liked the first Evil Genius this is an easy win and you should buy it immediately. If you at all think you might like a base builder sim where you get attacked with heavy James Bond tropes and influences also pick this up. I am having fun with it. It is also selling very well on Steam for whatever that is worth.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Very cool to hear, would love to see more games from this genre on the store. Sad that Startopia couldn't meet the same expectations but what a weird coincidence that both of these "dead" games got a revival within like a week of eachother after nearly 20 years.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Very cool to hear, would love to see more games from this genre on the store. Sad that Startopia couldn't meet the same expectations but what a weird coincidence that both of these "dead" games got a revival within like a week of eachother after nearly 20 years.
What the hell. I didn't even know Startopia was getting a remake of sorts. Used to play that a ton back in the day.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
What the hell. I didn't even know Startopia was getting a remake of sorts. Used to play that a ton back in the day.

I just posted my review of it here in the PC and Console Gaming forum. It isn't good. It isn't bad either. It is very meh. Anything that they improved on from the OG Startopia they also fucked something up.

Sad that Startopia couldn't meet the same expectations but what a weird coincidence that both of these "dead" games got a revival within like a week of eachother after nearly 20 years.

No shit right? I just had the same thought not long ago. It is oddly coincidental. It works out for Evil Genius fans. Not so much Startopia ones.

faille

Molten Core Raider
if I'm intrigued by this game, should I dip my toe in by trying the first one or jump into this one when I have spare cash?

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
if I'm intrigued by this game, should I dip my toe in by trying the first one or jump into this one when I have spare cash?

It depends on what type of gamer you are. Evil Genius came out in 2004. It had its share of issues (none serious) and Evil Genius 2's gameplay is both expanded and streamlined over the first. The most recent is obviously better looking too. However if you routinely play old games and want to buy the original for like three bucks or whatever just to get a feel for the game play then you should. Evil Genius 2 is not such a huge difference from the first one and if you end up hating the first one for game play reasons you likely will not care for the second one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

"wait for a sale" 4-6hours of enjoyment. "sliding fun... as not as much going on here as I would have liked."

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
"wait for a sale" 4-6hours of enjoyment. "sliding fun... as not as much going on here as I would have liked."
I did not watch this video since I'm at work, but that strikes me as a little elitist and/or purposely pessimistic to create drama. I mean, when you get right down to it, a game like SimCity (the old one, not the shitty recent one) is "4-6 hours of enjoyment" if you go strictly off of not repeating mechanics and such. You play SimCity once and you've seen it all, right? Of course not. We've probably all played dozens if not hundreds of hours of "the same content" in SimCity. And tons of other base builders. Hell, the original, Dungeon Keeper, was the same thing over and over, and I probably put a solid hundred hours into that. Slay the Spire or Monster Train, anyone? We must be idiots, playing it over and over again when it is all the same thing! But maybe I'm not edgy enough to understand.

There are 4 different geniuses and 3 different bases. Even if there is virtually no difference between all of those, I fail to see how you could only get 4-6 hours of enjoyment from that. Maybe they all play exactly the same, even though they all have slightly different skills and abilities, and the bases provide different challenges in setting up your base.

Now, I've only got about 3-4 hours into EG2 so far, and much of that was the tutorial stuff I'd already watched multiple streamers play through. Hell, I don't even have a henchman yet! I enjoyed it, and my experience was pretty much exactly what T Tananthalas described. Again, I didn't watch the video, and I'm obviously biased as I loved the first game and was super-excited for this one, but those comments strike me as designed to provoke a reaction. But maybe he's just that much better than me at video games.

So, if you aren't an edgelord that immediately tires of a game after one playthrough, I give it my recommendation. I will never argue against waiting for a sale, so by all means hold off until then if you aren't really sure or this kind of game hasn't occupied a lot of time in your past. But if you like games like this, I think you'll like this one. It has pretty much everything I wanted them to add/fix/improve from the first game. And it is very polished and bug free for me so far.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm
Only like 5 hours in myself, but i can for sure see getting my moneys worth out of it