Extraction (2020)

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 3 Votes
Title: Extraction (2020)

Genre: Action, Thriller

Director: Sam Hargrave

Cast: Chris Hemsworth, David Harbour, Golshifteh Farahani, Rudhraksh Jaiswal, Derek Luke

Release: 2020-04-24

Runtime: 116

Plot: Tyler Rake, a fearless black market mercenary, embarks on the most deadly extraction of his career when he's enlisted to rescue the kidnapped son of an imprisoned international crime lord.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
So let me summarize this:

Self-destructive, super special ops soldier finds redemption and comes to grips with the loss of his son through a mission to save a young boy.

Many action scenes ensue. And one singular heart felt moment.

Meh, I am a sucker for Thor, so I will definitely watch.

I hope the actual movie doesn't have that fucking sepia overlay the whole time - INDIA IS YELLOW!

Harshaw

Throbbing Member

Self-destructive, super special ops soldier finds redemption and comes to grips with the loss of his son through a mission to save a young boy.

I hope the actual movie doesn't have that fucking sepia overlay the whole time - INDIA IS YELLOW!

Yeah Hemsworth and the Russos are what got me interested. Plus with all the tent pole movies and shows going off air or delayed it's getting pretty slim pickens for new content.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

How much crossover with Rambo 4 (rambo 2008) are we talking?

If we are talking about a lot of Rambo 4-- I'm there.

spronk

FPS noob
out today on Netflix, getting pretty positive reviews. planning on seeing it this weekend

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I thought this was a really good action movie. There are some pretty great scenes. Now, saying that the story is really barebones and just there to supplement the action sets. So if you are looking for kind of like an old type 80's action flick this will fill that need.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Argarth

On the verandah
Watched it last night. Really enjoyed it a lot. The action sequences were really well done, and reminded me somewhat of the Bourne movies. Very tight.

Noticed in the credits that Hemsworth produced it. Just enough pathos, and the boy was also very good. I'll definitely watch the next thing he does. Big thumbs up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wasn't what I expected. Very quick intro, followed by almost non-stop action. Reminded me of a gauntlet boss. A couple of quick breaks to heal up and then here come the next wave of mobs. Dont regret watching it.

Sterling

El Presidente
Not bad for what it was. Nothing particularly great about it, but it was a pretty decent little action movie.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I've seen this movie like 6 times now in varying locations where the retired/sad operator battles cartels/warlords/mafia/whatever.

This time it was in India for some reason and they killed like 50% of the police force in a major city? It was well made, but they just will not stop making this movie.

All the guns being HK and other euro-mades was a nice detail I thought. Even his crush lady from his merc unit was using some SA-58 variant.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I've seen this movie like 6 times now in varying locations where the retired/sad operator battles cartels/warlords/mafia/whatever.

This time it was in India for some reason and they killed like 50% of the police force in a major city? It was well made, but they just will not stop making this movie.

All the guns being HK and other euro-mades was a nice detail I thought. Even his crush lady from his merc unit was using some SA-58 variant.
And he was an Aussie. Had he been an American he would have killed all the cops AND had time to get laid.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Trollocaust

Lord Nagafen Raider
Movie was pretty enjoyable and the chick was hot.

Only thing that really bugged me is who the fuck told them that sound travels faster than bullets? Bridge scene at the end you can hear the gunshots before they get hit when they're getting sniped.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Movie was pretty enjoyable and the chick was hot.

Only thing that really bugged me is who the fuck told them that sound travels faster than bullets? Bridge scene at the end you can hear the gunshots before they get hit when they're getting sniped.
The same person who put that bridge way the fuck away from that sniper. That bridge looks a whole lot further than 1/2 a mile and those would be some serious shots they were taking.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There are a significant number of dead cops in this film.

Seeing Hemsworth beat the shit outta those kids was hilarious. Fuck that one kid though.

It was decent enough. The camera work bordered on awesome to overly gimmicky.

• 2Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea him just windmill slamming the one kid by ankle had me rolling

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Yea him just windmill slamming the one kid by ankle had me rolling

Dying laughing out loud at that scene!

-

My favorite scenes in Avengers is Thor just kicking ass and being a badass. Can Hemsworth be the next Arnold / The Rock? He's not as big, but ... ?? Arnold is a classic and I like him in basically everything he's ever done. The Rock is funnier and a better actor, and he can pull off the tough guy shit too, like his first few Fast and Furious movies. Hemsworth is hilarious, and these action scenes with him are insane. I agree about the camera feeling gimmicky some of the time, but fucking great. The scene where Hemsworth and the bad guy both fall off the roof (or off a ledge?) and the camera followed them down, damn! And it's very smooth camera work. Remember the shit from Taken where it took 14 camera cuts to get Liam Neeson over the fence, and how they do shaky camera work / cuts when actors suck dick at action work? I also love the style of fighting they did here, where he shoots them with a pistol at close range. Did John Wick start that style of shooting?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I'd argue that "style" started with Collateral(one of my favorites from Cruise), but Wick definitely perfected it.
John Wick started "the stunt guys direct" phase. The Extraction director was the Captain America stunt guy who ended up a stunt coordinator with the Russos.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database