Extremely Cold Weather (-40) Clothing

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can we talk about down fill power, and goose vs duck plz. Also, hydrophobic down.
The new Dri-Down stuff is pretty awesome actually. Reminds me of that youtube video where they pour paint on the dude and it just falls off his shirt. It does that with water. No idea if it will hold to the test of time and elements though.

Remit_sl

shitlord
The new Dri-Down stuff is pretty awesome actually. Reminds me of that youtube video where they pour paint on the dude and it just falls off his shirt. It does that with water. No idea if it will hold to the test of time and elements though.
I have read both sides. Some top end cottage companies aren't even selling it anymore, while others still swear by it. I feel like if you are going to get your primary insulation wet, you are both doing it wrong, and should go with synthetic. The new primaloft is pretty amazing stuff.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a Canada Goose bomber I wear when it dips below 0 around here and my other jackets don't cut the mustard. Even in 0 degree weather I can wear just a tshirt under it and be fine. Though you'd probably want a full parka not a bomber for what you're asking. They're also expensive. And they're only getting more expensive since they've grown into a status symbol coat. But it is lightweight and I don't feel like I'm the kid from XMas Story wearing it because it is so huge. When it was super fuck as balls cold out I also wore my Canada Goose vest under it as well. But honestly I was sweating balls and it was like -20 out. I'm sure a wool under sweater would work for -40.
Leave it to Tenks to suggest an overpriced fashion trend!

This Winters Fad for Dummies: The $1200 Canada Goose Jacket

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
She could probably provide some tips

WHwbi5a.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Jesus, by the time she got done stripping I would already be finished and watching Sportscenter.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Why does the amount of shirts she is wearing having anything to do with your ability to put it in her butt? She's only got one pair of pants on man.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Like I said, fruit of the loom cotton/poly blend thermal underwear, jeans and snowpants alone are good for -20c outside for hours at a time, Total cost above and beyond what you probably already have ... 70 bucks?

Really the only useful thing I think that he can pull from this thread is double wrap your shit before you go fingerbanging a snowman's wife.

mopoke

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I like the direction this thread is going. Whenever I get cold I will use the heat from this thread's hatred to warm me up.

Also anyone know where I can buy a legit version of

main-qimg-b22a857b9a2dc95c50bb9364049f0169
Looks like a one off like this. Lot's of merino wool here but cotton is good, Bonds cotton for me year round, not sure about -40 though, never been below 30F and don't intend to.
smile.png

SuperStock_4141-28402.jpg

hatguy.gif
That's John Wamsley, not me.John Wamsley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Tuco has finally snapped and believes he is Ned Stark. He's going north to assume his rightful place as Warden of the North.

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
There are those that dabble in cold weather and those that live in it. Here is some advice I have collected from those that truly live in sun forsaken country.
- forget style
- wool is better than any other material in extreme temps - expensive but worth it

I have one of these:
http://www.lrbushcraft.com/html/100_...t_-_wool_.html
Get this an an anorak to go over the top of it and you will live like a true eskimo. It is expensive and not the most stylish but watch a few videos of those using one and you will understand why people swear by it. This alone will change your cold weather life.

Forget Boots. Boots wont cut it. You need to look into Mukluks for those temps. Many deep north expeditions outfits wont even take you if you dont have a good pair of Stegers. They work.
Forget Gloves. Get heavy mittens with long cuffs or hand warmer muffs. Some wool gloves inside the muffs or mittens are ok - layers apply here too.

With the above you'll be set for some pretty brutal conditions. Many other choices for the rest of your kit but in general wool and layers.

I've spent a lot of time in the woods at extreme temps and believe it or not I'm generally more comfortable in the freezing winter than I am in the summer months.