Extremely Cold Weather (-40) Clothing

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Silence_sl

shitlord
This is basically true.

I'm mostly concerned with having to sit outside for hours at a time and operating a computer without getting frostbite. I have an assortment of fingerless gloves I wear, but even then it can get brutal using them at 15 degree temperature, much less -40.

I'm not worried about food at all, though from what I hear the meals they provide at the base I'll be at are extremely calorie dense.
"The Base"

Do you know how to use a flame thrower?

rrr_img_89098.jpg

Silence_sl

shitlord
I dunno, my friend who did cold weather training for the army said he had to eat 5-6k calories a day just sitting in place looking around with his goggles, with the occasional hike to some other place to sit around looking with his goggles.
Then he must have weighed 900 pounds.

I lived for a long time in a place that had -40F weather. Never once did I eat anything much above 2k+ cal/day.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
My normal skiing gear, which I will wear down to zero (f) or below for hours at a time, plus what I learned growing up living on a farm in Michigan and occasionally having to work outdoors in the winter.

Lower Half:
Underwear (boxerbriefs), long thermal underwear (just regular fruit of the loom cotton/polyester blend), comfortable athletic shorts, loose fitting durable jeans, snowpants. The snowpants go on and off easily, and the jeans look presentable/normal when you're not outside.

I only use 1 pair of socks because ski boots are really well insulated, but I'd also consider a VERY thin cotton sock covered by a thick wool sock. Important not to cut off circulation in your feet. I'd strongly recommend the purchase of specialized waterproof winter boots, I used to wear them out on the farm in michigan in winter. I haven't used these specific ones, but something likeSOREL MenS Sporting Goods

upper half: compression long sleeved shirt, fruit of the loom long-sleeved underwear top, loose fitting long-sleeved t-shirt, waterproof outside - fleece inside hoodie (will keep you warm indoors even if only around 50), winter coat.

Face: ski goggles, fleece face mask, something likeAmazon.com: Cotton Fleece Face Mask, Neck and Ear Warmer, Black: Automotiveexcept I have a columbia one, and then I use a head band to cover the ears plus a regular hat on top which also covers my ears, if it gets really cold (say, minus 20) I'll throw my winter coat's hood up which further helps block wind, but I don't like to wear a hood while skiing since it blocks visibility too much.

I have two different pairs of winter gloves, plasticky gloves when it's windy/wet, and more of a fleece pair for when it's just damned cold. Thick Mittens work better than gloves as an outer layer since your fingers will help keep each other warm.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's been beat to death, layers layers layers BUT if you are smart about it you can do it well with less than you think. I spend a great deal of time outside in extremely cold temperatures, not quite as bad as -40C but in the -10-20C range for sure.

I'll outline what I typically wear/bring and it does change depending on your level of physical activity but I will capitalize a few suggestions that I live and die by:

-NO COTTON never, not once. Don't wear it.
-Other people talked about synthetic layers(underarmor, polyester, etc) I will not touch that stuff. I wear ONLY merino wool, in as many places as I can. It's expensive, but far better than the synthetic stuff on many levels, one of the best being it does not smell as bad if you have only a few items to wear, limited washing capabilities, and high level of exertion. The other massive huge plus, it dries extremely fast.
-Sweating is bad! If you find you are sweating too much SHED layers. Almost never shed your "shell" layer as that blocks wind which changes your body temp fast via convection. Shed the "mid" layer, which is why I like to stick with easy light down jackets that I can take off in a pinch and stuff into their own pocket(badass feature) and they don't weigh much. If you are sweating too much the moment you stop you'll start to freeze. Everyone sweats so use your judgement but you shouldn't be soaking or so bundled up that it's insane.
-If you plan to be out on the snow at all get 100% UV blocking glacier glasses. Going snow blind is not fun

That being said, here is my typical mountaineering gitup:

-Long "underwear" bottoms and top. Both Merino wool, typically the 150-200 "rating system". Lots of companies make this shit, Smartwool, Icebreaker, Stoic, to name a few. Check any outdoors site and look for Merino Wool.
-Depending on how physical I intend to be a second layer over my legs, something like fleece or thicker wool. I skip this if I am going to be moving around a ton.
-Up top, always something thicker and warm over the base layer. I vary between fleece, sometimes a really light down jacket. Tons of companies make these as well. I'm not talking about those giant puffy down jackets, but one of the super light thin ones. When you hold it you'll wonder how it keeps you warm, it does, and better than anything else out there and they weigh nothing
-Down below no matter what, some type of shell pants. These over almost no insulation but block all wind/rain/snow/elements
-Obviously whatever boots you need and then gaiters over them to keep snow out if you are walking through thick shit. If you are not walking through snow and moisture, skip the gaiters.
-Up top, shell jacket just like pants. Only purpose to block the elements. I prefer the type that DO NOT have insulation. When you buy "combined" items it's harder to shed layers or adapt if you need to as you start getting too bulky.
-If super cold and I am standing still a lot, one of those giant puffy down jackets with hood over the shell layer. Be careful if you are in a place with high moisture as down, even with gore-tex coating, will eventually get wet. Snow does not always mean moisture so that's a misconception.
-Neck gaiters are awesome and will keep you warm, but I simply can't wear them if I am moving at all. I sweat too much. Again stick with only merino wool if you wear a neck gaiter.
-If you have high winds and shit they also make the ones that cover your face. I've only worn one of these once.
-Whatever hat is warm and to your style liking.
-Ohh almost forfor the obvious, a nice thick pair of merino wool socks!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
And some people need to justify the fact that they spent $1800 on Merino wool by saying things like "-NO COTTON never, not once. Don't wear it." Yes, wearing cotton is instant death. Thousands of people freeze to death daily from wearing cotton.
rolleyes.png

Remit_sl

shitlord
Polypro base, then fleece, then down, then wind layer. Most down is wind proof anyways (inherent with downproof material), but you need to keep your microclimate. Without a wind layer, your polypro and fleece are completely worthless.

Silence_sl

shitlord
And some people need to justify the fact that they spent $1800 on Merino wool by saying things like "-NO COTTON never, not once. Don't wear it." Yes, wearing cotton is instant death. Thousands of people freeze to death daily from wearing cotton.
rolleyes.png
It's impossible...IMPOSSIBLE to climb a 2500ft hill in the dead of winter unless you are wearing the same gear that climbers of K2 are using. Carbon fiber ice picks, titanium crampons, at least, AT LEAST $1400 in carabiners and another $1500 in cams, too.

The most important thing to remember about mountaineering is to display as many company logos on your outer shell as possible. This way, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE will know that you are a seasoned pro if you do this.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The next time there is an Archer AMA, make sure to ask what cold weather gear he uses.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's impossible...IMPOSSIBLE to climb a 2500ft hill in the dead of winter unless you are wearing the same gear that climbers of K2 are using. Carbon fiber ice picks, titanium crampons, at least, AT LEAST $1400 in carabiners and another $1500 in cams, too.

The most important thing to remember about mountaineering is to display as many company logos on your outer shell as possible. This way, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE will know that you are a seasoned pro if you do this.
First, it has nothing to do with K2. Second, it's not even remotely close to 1800$, try 60$ or even less if you find sales. Yes the big name brands are more, but you can get non-name brand merino wool for within 10-15% of the other materials. So grow up a bit.

Also, if you had any fucking common sense or outdoor experience and were not just a fucking internet neckbeard mouthbreather you would know why people say no cotton. You'd also know why runners, athletes, and pretty much anyone who moves more than just from their computer chair to the fucking Doritos cabinet do not wear fucking cotton. They may not peach merino wool like I do, but they will wear all synthetics. Do you know why mouth-breather? Because cotton doesn't wick away sweat for shit and it takes forever to dry. You are simply uneducated if you wear cotton during any aerobic exercise beyond planet fitness. Can you wear cotton if you are in a lab in Antarctica, sure, why not? But if you read what I wrote you would realize it has to do with how much sweat you are generating.

I don't have a damn logo on display when I go outdoors, and I still wear wool. Synthetics are fine, I just prefer wool because it doesn't stink as bad.

Silence_sl

shitlord
First, it has nothing to do with K2. Second, it's not even remotely close to 1800$, try 60$ or even less if you find sales. Yes the big name brands are more, but you can get non-name brand merino wool for within 10-15% of the other materials. So grow up a bit.

Also, if you had any fucking common sense or outdoor experience and were not just a fucking internet neckbeard mouthbreather you would know why people say no cotton. You'd also know why runners, athletes, and pretty much anyone who moves more than just from their computer chair to the fucking Doritos cabinet do not wear fucking cotton. They may not peach merino wool like I do, but they will wear all synthetics. Do you know why mouth-breather? Because cotton doesn't wick away sweat for shit and it takes forever to dry. You are simply uneducated if you wear cotton during any aerobic exercise beyond planet fitness. Can you wear cotton if you are in a lab in Antarctica, sure, why not? But if you read what I wrote you would realize it has to do with how much sweat you are generating.

I don't have a damn logo on display when I go outdoors, and I still wear wool. Synthetics are fine, I just prefer wool because it doesn't stink as bad.
LMAO...I sure hit close to home here. You are exactly the type of hipster twat that I described; you buy the gear to look cool and not to use it.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yes, you called me out. I buy all my gear to walk around the city and look cool. It's never once been put to use.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Listen dipshit, I live in Montana and I work outdoors 7 days a week. 90% of my clothes are made of cotton. If I wanted 10% more performance for 500% more cost, I would go buy some fancy wool shit, but you just prove yourself to be a poser retard posting this hyperbolic nonsense.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I only insulate myself with garments woven from the pubic hair of Kuro tribe members. Nothing wicks away sweat like it.

Each visible logo adds 10% effectiveness but they stack multiplicatively, so suffer from diminishing returns.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I like the direction this thread is going. Whenever I get cold I will use the heat from this thread's hatred to warm me up.

Also anyone know where I can buy a legit version of

main-qimg-b22a857b9a2dc95c50bb9364049f0169

Also one other comment on this - if you're wondering "well if its as easy as a pair of thermals and a down jacket/pants then... why do ppl spend $1000 on a jacket to go to the arctic or climb everest..?"

It's because they're paying for material thats extremely durable, untearable. It'd take an intense puncture to get through it.