Eye surgery. Has anyone had it? What were your results.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So I've finally hit the age where I need to put on glasses to read. It's getting on my ever lasting nerves though. Then the place that I went to get my readers from saw my frustration and recommended that I get what is called "teardrop" surgery. It's not covered by insurance. 100% out of pocket. The surgery will be about 3K but looks to be exactly what I want and need.

I'm very reluctant to have someone fucking with my eyes, and the procedure isn't a 100% success rate from what I read. Has anyone had this done, and how have you liked the results? Would you recommend?

ReVision Optics Raindrop® Near Vision Inlay | Presbyopia Treatment

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm not sure it's what you're looking for but I got a metal shaving in my eye when I was 16 and had to get it drilled out, I just remember the doctor saying "Move your eye and you lose it".

Vision is still 20/20, suck it nerds!

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Had prk in the spring, truly glorious.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I've finally hit the age where I need to put on glasses to read. It's getting on my ever lasting nerves though. Then the place that I went to get my readers from saw my frustration and recommended that I get what is called "teardrop" surgery. It's not covered by insurance. 100% out of pocket. The surgery will be about 3K but looks to be exactly what I want and need.

I'm very reluctant to have someone fucking with my eyes, and the procedure isn't a 100% success rate from what I read. Has anyone had this done, and how have you liked the results? Would you recommend?

ReVision Optics Raindrop® Near Vision Inlay | Presbyopia Treatment
do you wear glasses for near sightedness too? or is this your first time wearing glasses in life?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It’s my understanding that corrective vision surgery won’t stop age-related deterioration from progressing because it doesn’t address the root cause. As we get older the muscles around our eyes are less able to adjust and focus (which obviously causes blurred vision). Think of it like an old camera whose focus ring sticks instead of gliding smoothly and even then it can’t adjust through its full range any more.

I don’t remember where I heard it, so it could be bro/hippie science, but they seemed pretty confident and sold me on it.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
do you wear glasses for near sightedness too? or is this your first time wearing glasses in life?

My 1st time wearing glasses. To read the dinner menu lets say, within the last year or year and a half I've had to start holding the menu at arms length without glasses.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Would not recommend surgery for common age related deterioration.

If you had astigmatism in eyes and needed corrective lenses, yes.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
What's frustrating about reading glasses?

Come on man...I have none that match my sneakers.

It's a PITA remembering em most times! Having to have em everywhere in the house. Looking like I'm some old coot that can't read a menu! The headaches when you forget em.

• 1Worf

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm a newbie at wearing glasses, just in the past few years have I used them. Do they not make contacts for that? Or is it strictly glasses required

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Come on man...I have none that match my sneakers.

It's a PITA remembering em most times! Having to have em everywhere in the house. Looking like I'm some old coot that can't read a menu! The headaches when you forget em.
Reading glasses are cheap as dirt. Get a 10 pk from Amazon and leave a pair in diff rooms/car/jackets/whatever

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My 1st time wearing glasses. To read the dinner menu lets say, within the last year or year and a half I've had to start holding the menu at arms length without glasses.
Yea, just learn to deal with it, imo, what you got isn't life threatening, it's fucking male pattern baldness or white hair or wondering why you suddenly gain weight eating a whole pie.

I know asians w/ legit life threatening vision, that if you wake them up in the morning, they freak out b/c they are literally blind w/o putting on their binoculars. If the house was on fire and they didn't have glasses at their bedside, they would die.

you ever try thinoptics they make em thin enough to slide on the back of a phone. I have one friend who has constant headaches cuz of lazik and another who has had to redo it twice.

i admit glasses are inconvenient, i'm near sighted so i use my glasses mainly for driving, so i keep two cheap glasses in both cars. (in case i don't take my regular pair or wife decides to drink, etc)

and i stay away from 3d movies cuz of the double glasses, but i'd never get elective surgery on the eyes for a bit of inconvenience, eye doc could just sneeze at the wrong time.

• 1Solidarity

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Has LASIK done maybe 3 months ago. My wife just had it done a few weeks ago. It is painless and easy. It really does change your life not having to deal with contacts and glasses.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I've had glasses for over 20 years now. As a teenager they annoyed me and got in the way of activities so I quickly went to contacts. I've contemplated lasik but I scheeve out big time with medical procedures. After reading up on it I said no way and just deal with contacts. Every so often I use my glasses when I need a break. On the flip side I have a couple of friends that have had lasik and said it's great. Hooray for them but nobody is fucking with my eyes. It's the only pair I've got.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Check out those gunnar gaming glasses, they seem to magnify tings just a tiny bit.

Then you won't lose your street cred.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Painless and easy? I've heard terrifying, but trying to convince my gf to consider it cause she's always bitching about either losing / breaking her glasses, or eyes hurting from contacts.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Painless and easy? I've heard terrifying, but trying to convince my gf to consider it cause she's always bitching about either losing / breaking her glasses, or eyes hurting from contacts.
tell her to stop being such an airhead or putting her glasses in her back pocket and sitting on them.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

YMMV but they gave me half a Xanax before going in so I was pretty calm. The only real weird part that is unnerving is your vision will fade to black for a bit and you can't see shit. But in terms of pain there is only a slight pressure on your eye for maybe 1 minute. The place I went allows you to also view the surgery on a giant LED TV and I watched my wife's and it looked far worse than it felt. It looks like some clockwork orange shit.