F1 2013 Season

Oo__sl

shitlord
In Monaco Hammy and Rosberg will drive in side by side formation from start to finish and bring 43 points home.

eldub_sl

shitlord
Looks like the FIA may nix any major change to the tires, which I wholeheartedly agree with. RBR will undoubtedly be strong at the end of the season as Newey always seems to push the envelope throughout the season harder then anyone, regardless of the tire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22593977

Alonso's passes on lap 1 in Spain were fucking epic. He's had so many good passes on the outside in the last few seasons that catch everyone else napping.

eldub_sl

shitlord
He's due to move on. Put him in a Porsche LeMans car or something in DTM. I'd like to see someone like Paul DiResta or Hulkenberg at RBR next year.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Still time to put money on Rosberg at the weekend? If he can get Lewis next to him on the front row his only real danger should be getting overtaken during pitstops.

After all, even Bad Luck Bad Starter Mark Webber can win in Monaco!
tongue.png

Senna holding off Mansell in 92 is still one of my fondest memories of racing. Our 'Nige was in the form of his life but Senna made his car 20 feet wide that day.

Empala_sl

shitlord
Di Resta in a RBR? That kid needs to gtfo F1.

Merc for pole, HAM retires on lap 46, Vettel gets in a tangle with Rosberg. Alonso takes the win. You read it here first.

What an awful race. Nico did 1:22.5 on lap 4 and 1:22.4 on lap 62. Then Vettel did 1:16.577 just before the end for fastest lap so basically they were cruising 4-6 seconds off the pace whole race.

And fuck Perez, fucking moron.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Fuck Perez and Kimi, Kimi blatantly turned into him
tongue.png

Hell of a weekend for ze Germans, 1-2 in the Champs League and 1-2 in the motor racing.

Wonder what's going to happen about the protest from Red Bull and Ferrari, having FIA approval means they will probably get away with it but it was rather daft of them both to do it.

Edit: Forgot to mention just how shit the Sky commentary is, I was streaming it as I don't want to give Mr Murdoch his pound of flesh and for a magical 40 minutes or so midrace the feed I was watching had the BBC team on it.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Brundle is alright in small doses but Crofty is the absolute shits. Hell they should try Ted in the commentary box with Brundle, it couldn't be any worse!

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I understand this thread is about the 2013 F1 season but I'm not sure where else to bring this up and this seems probably the best thread for it. So I just watched Senna and I understand it's almost 3 years old now. In doing some reading after watching the movie how do you really compare Senna/Prost/Stewart/Schumaker/Vettel in regards to best driver ever? I'm not a big racing fan so maybe it was like this in NASCAR as well in regards to whoever had the technological advantage won but in reading about Schumaker he won 5 straight championships with Ferrari and Ferrari was the main consultant on all things F1 during that time in regards to tires, how does that make any sense? Prost won his last championship when it was clear that the Williams cars were so far advanced against anything else that anybody could have won in that car and that was Senna's greatest year just for finishing second. Is that still the case today? Is RBR just that good that it could be anyone aside from Vettel and they would still win race after race?

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Schumacher was genuinely brilliant in his first stint in F1, what brings him down a notch in some eyes (and I admit mine as well) was the early 2000s and Ferrari's attempt to trample the sport under their own machinations. They had bespoke tyres made just for them and seemed to get so many rules modified to suit them the F in FIA was alleged to stand for Ferrari. There were no testing restrictions in those days and Ferrari had their own F1 standard track at home base, he'd literally run hundreds of thousands of miles over a season as they didn't care how much money they spent, it was worth it to trample the opposition. They would probably have won without all that crap but they decided that's how they wanted to play the game and that's that. It has literally taken until now and Alonso being one of the nicest drivers in the pitlane (and that's a turnaround story in itself) for people to have any respect for Ferrari. I know I wasn't alone in stopping watching F1 in the early 2000s and didn't return until 2008/2009 or so.

Vettel is like a Schu 2.0, he has obvious talent BUT the RBR has been so far ahead of the competition that it has been hard to really compare him to other drivers. Alonso is easily the best driver in F1 atm, he single handedly pulled last years Ferrari (which was basically a shitbox for the first half of the season at least) to within a few points of Vettel by the end of the season. Then you have Hamilton who is more talented than Vettel (imho) but due to McLaren seemingly trying not to win championships for the last few years he only has a single WC to his name. A straight shoot out with modern Hamilton/Alonso would be a sight to behold, shame the one season they were together they were both too young to deal with the pressure and it ended so badly.

Prost and Senna is almost like comparing apples and oranges, their styles were so completely different but they were each so succesful. The year they won 15 out of 16 races between them when in the same team will probably never be repeated and that car is still looked upon with awe. They both won championships when their cars were dominant yes but they both also won races in shitty cars they had absolutely no right to as well. Senna especially could make cars dance round a circuit, even in the worst of conditions.

I can't comment on Stewart as he was before my time and the sport/business has changed so much since then.

As far as the statement about it could be anyone and they'd win race after race, I remember the rather cruel joke in the year that Damon Hill won his championship with Williams that if his 2nd driver had of been a chimp it would have scored 10 podiums that season as the car was so far ahead of everyone else.

I have tried a few times to rank the drivers to finish off this post and I just can't, I can't decide who is better than who. The list of top names during my watching experience would include Schumacher, Alonso, Mansell, Senna, Prost, Vettel, Hamilton and I'd love to say Button but even I can't quite make that statement. If you put a gun to my head I'd have to go with Senna as the best in that era due to him being able to drive anything.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Impossibly hard to compare driver through F1 generations just because ruleset was / is changing often. Like atm Qualifying runs are nothing like in the 2000s or F1 is now stuck with one tire brand and no refueling and such.
Keep in mind certain drivers are exceptionelly better in certain conditions than the whole rest of the pack like Senna & Schumacher absolutly crushing opposition during rain.

Empala_sl

shitlord
I think what makes Senna stand out is his absolute dedication and sheer ruthlessness. He had a godgiven talent to drive anything and search for grip (and find it!) in impossible conditions. You can't compare Senna and Prost.
I like Senna's driving style because he is so fierce and always on the limit. I prefer Prost's style, cold and calculated. All out speed and ruthlessness are great traits to have as a racing driver, but I personally rate intellingence and patience a tad higher as racer traits. I recently started motorcycle racing here in Europe and I prefer Endurance over all out Sprint races.

I can't comment on the Schumacher era because I didn't watch F1 at that time, because I got sick of the Ferrari dominance and politics. I watched some races when the Hakkinnen/Schumacher rivalry was on though.. Good times. The backmarker pass on Schu on the Kemmel straight in Spa is still one of best overtakes ever.

I am with Fazana on this... I rate Hamilton and Alonso higher than I rate Vettel. Don't get me wrong, the dude can race and obviously has talent (3 WDC titles...) but I'm afraid a lot of it can be contributed to the car. I would love to be proven wrong. Exciting times for F1 though.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
More interesting question would be how would Senna finish in today F1 with all that mental handbrake driving going on just to keep your tires alive. At least we know how Schumacher ended up in that set up.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I wish I could find good quality coverage of past F1 years. I'd love to watch old seasons.

I've only been watching a few years, and as far as great drivers and great drives, Button in Canada back in ... I think it was 2011, was special.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
I wish I could find good quality coverage of past F1 years. I'd love to watch old seasons.
I torrented the season highlights videos from the mid 80s onwards a couple of years ago when my son first started getting into F1. The ones with Clive James providing sarcastic commentary especially were pretty good, the Johnathon Ross ones not so much.

I've only been watching a few years, and as far as great drivers and great drives, Button in Canada back in ... I think it was 2011, was special.
On his day, with the car setup to just his style of driving Button is as good as anyone in the world. Canada 2011 is the perfect example of this and the one he says himself he'll be showing to his grandkids every chance he gets until they are sick of it
biggrin.png
That whole race was such a one off, shame they've already changed the rules so it could never happen again.

Unfortunately, when the car isn't just to his liking he isn't as good as the names we've mentioned earlier in the current conversation at still getting the maximum out of the car and that's why, as much as I love the guy and always cheer him on, I can't hand on heart put him in the greatest list. Hell, not even in the greatest British drivers list. He's still miles ahead of Dougal DiResta and Chilton etc who wouldn't get a mention on the BBC if they weren't British drivers.

Chilton especially is fucking terrible, good job for him his dad is richer than some small countries.

As for other amazing drives, Monaco 92 is great for the battle between Mansell and Senna.

biggrin.png

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
If there hadn't of been the accident Senna would have likely won the world championship in '94 (he was already about 3 wins ahead iirc) and the Schummacher/Ferrari dominance wouldn't have come about as quickly as it did. I'd say he and Senna would have gone neck-and-neck for the next few years until age started to catch up with Senna and Schummacher came into his own, unless Senna jumped back to Ferrari in '96.

In terms of greatest driver ever, I think there are only a few people that could make that call (Sterling Moss, Jackie Stewart, Murray Walker and a couple of others) but for me Senna was the best I have ever seen race in ~ 35 years of watching F1/Indy/Nascar/V8's and one only has to look at his first Monaco race (as shown in the movie) and the Monaco race where he did 3 360's as he was about to go in to the tunnel due to the heavy rain, kept control and went on to win the race. He was an absolute master in the wet, he was phenomenal in the dry and in qualifying and he was utterly ruthless when he needed to be, as in the race where he just went straight on from pole position to let Prost turn in to him and take them both out so he'd win the world championship as prost had to finish ahead of him to beat him for it. I'm not a huge fan of causing accidents in racing, but that is still one I approve of due to theway Prost kept using his friendships to hold Senna back