F1 2015 Season

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Let's start up the 2015 Formula 1 thread.

There are only 38 days 3 hours and 2 minutes until FP1 in Melbourne!

Remembering where we left off:

1 Mercedes 701
2 Red Bull 405
3 Williams 320
4 Ferrari 216
5 McLaren 181
6 Force India 155
7 Toro Rosso 30
8 Lotus 10
9 Marussia 2
10 Sauber 0
11 Caterham 0

As of today's testing in Jerez (or Hereth), some interesting results:

Vettel (1.20.9)
Nasr (+0.8)
Bottas (+1.3)
Hamilton (+1.5)
Verstappen (+3.1)
Maldonado (+4.8)
Button (+33.6)

Also, Maldonado spread Pastor-sauce all over himself and red flagged the session earlier. So things really are on track.

Looking forward to a great season with lots of driver changes, teams missing or late to start, and no more hideous noses.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here's a current driver/team list. It should be pretty accurate...

Mercedes
Engines: Mercedes

44. Lewis Hamilton
6. Nico Rosberg

Test/reserve/third drivers
Pascal Wehrlein

Red Bull
Engines: Renault

3. Daniel Ricciardo
26. Daniil Kvyat

Sebastien Buemi

Williams

19. Felipe Massa
77. Valtteri Bottas

Susie Wolff

Ferrari
Engines: Ferrari

5. Sebastian Vettel
7. Kimi Raikkonen

Esteban Gutierrez
Jean-Eric Vergne

McLaren
Engines: Honda

14. Fernando Alonso
22. Jenson Button

Kevin Magnussen

Force India

27. Nico Hulkenberg
11. Sergio Perez

Not assigned

Toro Rosso
Engines: Renault

33. Max Verstappen
55. Carlos Sainz Jnr

Not assigned

Lotus

8. Romain Grosjean
13. Pastor Maldonado

Jolyon Palmer

Manor

Not assigned
Not assigned

Not assigned

Sauber

9. Marcus Ericsson
12. Felipe Nasr

Raffaele Marciello

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Caterham is of course, bust. Marussia may be back as Manor. Forza Rossa and Haas won't debut until at least 2016.

And, looks like no Force India at all in Jerez. Not a good sign.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Looks like almost everyone has huge air channeling into the skinny back ends. Ted's day 4 notebook has lots of tasty pictures. With all the shrinking there's bound to be heat problems later in the year.

Not a fan of the nubbinsy noses, but at least some of them look good. Has been awesome to have stuff to watch everyday. 2 more weeks till Barcelona testing.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
just based on the first test, Ferrari is gonna be in the mix this year, which is good

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
The lap count is the big thing from Jerez:

1. Mercedes, 516 laps - 2,284km
2. Sauber (Ferrari), 382 laps - 1,691km
3. Toro Rosso (Renault), 353 laps - 1,563km
4. Ferrari, 349 laps - 1,545km
5. Williams (Mercedes), 278 laps - 1,230km
6. Lotus (Mercedes), 190 laps - 841km
7. Red Bull (Renault), 166 laps - 735km
8. McLaren (Honda), 79 laps - 349km

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Red Bull and McLaren mileage is just terrible. I guess i have more confidence in Red Bull to make leaps and bounds, but I'm also thinking Vettel is feeling relieved.

Interesting too - Kimi's performance last year was the first time (I believe) Ferrari finished outside of the top 10 since 1981. Jesus...

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok, so just hearing that the teams just voted down Marussia's (Manor) bid to return in Melbourne. Even though they found the funding, etc. I think this sucks, as all of the new 2010 teams are now gone.

It was just the other day that everything seemed on track for their sucessful return. And it would have been but for the final vote as to their late entry. Even that freak of hairstyles Mallya voted against them and he's supposed to be a supporter of the little guys.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Ok, so just hearing that the teams just voted down Marussia's (Manor) bid to return in Melbourne. Even though they found the funding, etc. I think this sucks, as all of the new 2010 teams are now gone.

It was just the other day that everything seemed on track for their sucessful return. And it would have been but for the final vote as to their late entry. Even that freak of hairstyles Mallya voted against them and he's supposed to be a supporter of the little guys.
The team hope to race again under a new name after ceasing trading in October and missing 2014's last three races. But, with the new season starting in Australia next month, they do not have time to build a new car.

The request to use their old car required unanimous agreement from rival teams but Force India voted against. Force India's deputy team principal Bob Fernley said Marussia's application "lacked substance".

...Although sources say Force India were the only team to veto the plan in the meeting, a number of other teams were also against it.
BBC Sport - Marussia comeback blocked by Force India no vote

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Ok so crazy Alonso crash conspiracy theories go!

So far I've heard an ERS shock, fainting, one of the front brakes failing, and simple driver error + tailwind.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Its prolly simple driver error but mr samurai dude wont admit it and instead will have the team look into it till they finally find something.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
It seems like he has a case, just annoying as fuck the litigation wasn't started earlier though I assume he was giving time for them to come around. Don't think it will have too big an impact on the race as at worst it should only be an injunction on Sauber starting the race without him in the car, which won't affect any other team, but I can't see how it won't just come down to Sauber saying that he's not the best driver in their opinion and they gave the seats to the other two. As long as they pay him what they promised I don't see that a judge will force a team to run a driver they don't want to.

Van Der Garde demands Sauber honours deal, takes them to court

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Van Der Garde actually won! And beat the appeal. I'm really surprised.

I'm also a bit mystified why the FIA's contract recognition board didn't jump all over this.

Sauber is so screwed now though. I wonder if Felipe and Markus have paid and how much. I hope this teaches teams not to pull this kind of crap in the future.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wow! This sauber stuff is completely out of control. Cops are in the trackside garages getting ready to seize everything in the sauber garages, including the cars. And the sheriff bailiffs are waiting at the paddock gate to arrest monisha kaltenborn.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Both the seizure of goods and the potential arrest are still pending actions of course. But the manpower is there and ready to act immediately if/when given the word today by the courts.

Interestingly, monisha was seen by several people leaving the paddock a while ago in advance of their arrival. Someone should tell the cops, lol.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well at least both Sauber cars came out for FP2 for an appearance after being sequestered for FP1, while GVG walked around in one of Marcus E's racing suits.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
After FP2 low fuel run, some interesting results.

Mercs superfast as expected and within a tenth of one another.
Ferraris much faster than expected, with Seb 7/10th off and Kimi another 4/10ths.
Williams next 4/10ths behind Kimi. Massa didn't run but assuming he'll post similar times.
Red Bull next, but only Kvyat's time a worrying 2.3 secs off the pace with Daniel's car still in pieces.
A Torro Rosso next, then both Lotus', and then a Force India in 10th (Hulk).
A smattering of the remaining teams follows, noting that Button was the only McLaren able to beat the teenager Max V. and then only by 8 thousandths, yikes, placing them over 3.6 secs back.
Neither Manor/Marussia car made it out of the garage.