Fallout 4

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I wasn't in love with NV. I think they went overboard on shit like bullet calibers, the game crashed on me a few times, and it felt like chunks were missing. And I don't like the humor aspect of the originals, so I'm happy with the "we take ourselves seriously" situation we got in FO3.

I am still butthurt that you can't get any kind of transportation in these so far. The lack of cars/bikes is implausible. Fuel would be neither difficult to come by nor difficult to create. I hope FO4 gives us a ride.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Now, I admire Obsidan/Black Isle, and they have made a long list of amazing games, but FO:NV was a rush-job (fewer POI:s that were actually intresting, messy crafting system addition with the reloading thing, one of the 3 factions was lacking so much content even they devs appologize for it, made the arguable worst DLC to either Fallout game and so on...).
The fuck? which DLC are you talking about? Because Dead Money, Old World Blues, and Lonesome Road were fantastic, and while Honest Hearts was a bit lame (and short) it brought us A Light Shining in Darkness so all is forgiven.

I don't even remember the Fallout 3 dlc.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
And yet, despiteallof that, it was still at least twice the game Fallout 3 was. Bethesda is a fucking abhorrent company.
Well I guess we have to agree to disagree. For me FO3 was an superior experience. The setting was a helluva lot more intresting then the fucking desert AGAIN, the enviroment was better presented (honestly, fuck the mess that was the city of New Vegas), better humor, WAY better radio stations, more things to explore .

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Dead Money is one of the worst DLCs I have ever played, compared to The Pit and Point Lookout its junk. I agree Old world blues was excellent and Lonesome Road was ok (failed at being excellent due to the, again, rushed development of it).

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Oh come on. In terms of consistency of excellence BGS is one of the best game studios in the world. In the last ten years of games they've developed Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim.
All of which were entirely mediocre. They only become the games they are remembered/immortalized for because of the modding community.

EDIT: If Bethesda ever decides to stop supporting the modding community (their recent snafu with Steam appears to be a step in that direction), their games will become exactly like the rest of the decent, but barely above average 6-7/10 games out there that nobody remembers 5 years later. They won't be the 9-10/10 "masterpieces" everybody claims they are.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If by "people who actually 'get' Fallout" you mean the people who rushed and never fixed an entire faction, included fewer POIs, included a mess of a crafting system addition,made the arguable worst DLC to the FO3/FO:NV series, then sure, 2018 is looking golden....

Now, I admire Obsidan/Black Isle, and they have made a long list of amazing games, but FO:NV was a rush-job (fewer POI:s that were actually intresting, messy crafting system addition with the reloading thing, one of the 3 factions was lacking so much content even they devs appologize for it, made the arguable worst DLC to either Fallout game and so on...).
What now? Even the worst NV DLC (not sure what that is, I enjoyed them all... I guess people have a strange hard-on for disliking Dead Money though) was miles ahead of Mothership Zeta. Point Lookout was straight up terrible design too, had to mod out that retarded shit they did by slapping massive DR on every-fucking-thing in the area. And the best NV DLC--which is Old World Blues, obviously--is some of the greatest add-on content ever made for a game.

Maybe it's because I used my standard 100+ mod setup for NV since even though the game was excellent it's still based on Bethesda's clunky-ass engine, but I don't even know what the rest of the stuff you're referring to is about. I assume you're talking about the Legion lacking in content? I would never join those assholes anyway so I didn't run into that.

Well I guess we have to agree to disagree. For me FO3 was an superior experience. The setting was a helluva lot more intresting then the fucking desert AGAIN, the enviroment was better presented (honestly, fuck the mess that was the city of New Vegas), better humor, WAY better radio stations, more things to explore .
As opposed to the mess that was navigating DC via a maze of subway tunnels because of invisible walls preventing you from just climbing over piles of rubble?

Only thing you've said that I agree with at all is that FO3's radio station was better.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
FO3 and Skyrim were not mediocre. Gavin you forgot Broken Steel, Operation Anchorage, and The Pitt? I didn't care for Point Lookout or Mothership Zeta though.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
FO3 and Skyrim were not mediocre. Gavin you forgot Broken Steel, Operation Anchorage, and The Pitt? I didn't care for Point Lookout or Mothership Zeta though.
Actually, looking at my Steam page, I don't even own FO3, which means I only played it by pirating it way back in the day. So presumably the reason I don't remember the FO3 DLC is because I've never played any of it. My bad.

Can't believe I've never picked it up considering that the GOTY edition is 10 bucks during any sale. Maybe I'll pick it up next week.

Vorph

Broken Steel and The Pitt were pretty good. Anchorage being a sim made it kind of meh, plus it introduced some of the most unbalanced and broken items into the game.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Broken Steel was almost an expansion pack, but the others were just some fun scenarios.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
All of which were entirely mediocre. They only become the games they are remembered/immortalized for because of the modding community.
If you think any of those three games were mediocre I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oblivion wasn't mediocre, it was outright bad. That atrocious leveling system basically ruined the whole goddamn game unless you knew about it beforehand and abused it. I wouldn't call Skyrim mediocre, I'd call it good that becomes amazing with mods.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I cringed even while playing Oblivion, and I never finished it. I wasn't even really hopeful for Skyrim due to it, and was just waiting for it to be over so we could get Fallout 4, but Skyrim was much better than Oblivion.

Vorph

So it was just like Old World Blues?
Chinese Stealth Suit was straight up godmode in OA, and all variants of the stealth suit in NV were massively nerfed by comparison. The gauss rifle was pretty ridiculous too compared to every other energy weapon in FO3.

I don't recall anything in OWB being significantly more powerful than standard items. Looking at the list of items in the DLC on wikia, the only OWB item I can remember using was Christine's sniper rifle, and I think I gave Elijah's LAER to Veronica. Other than that, I just used the bits of armor that had stat/skill buffs.

Vorph

Yeah that silenced sniper rifle completely trivialized a lot of the game.
It's only marginally better than a plain sniper rifle with the silencer mod though. And the Gobi trivializes a lot of the game even though it's not silenced, because the engine doesn't let enemies react to sound beyond a certain range, and sniper rifles can easily shoot further than that range.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Gobi required 100 lockpicking. But yes, I'm probably overestimating how much effect Christine's rifle really had, seeing as how by the time you had all the loot from OWB you could pretty much just blitz through the game facefirst anyway.

penalty_sl

shitlord
Or at level 1 you could run to Jacobstown and loot the Oh, Baby! 2 hander from the cave and one shot everything through the entire game. I know because the first thing I usually do is go get that mace.