Fallout 4

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think I want to make a melee ninja assassin chick next. Either that or a pistols only gunslinger. I like that power armor is central to the game, but it makes everything so trivial.

Sulrn

Deuces
Hit 50 last night, game is getting fun now that I have combat perks invested and weapons maxed instead of trying to play against the grain with avoiding a combat character.. Unleashed my stockpile of 4k 5.56 rounds in a random, but pretty epic fight in Quincy. Fast traveled in to run over to a quest target, but the enemies that respawned there after the initial clear went full on Mogadishu. BoS vertibirds got attracted by the laser fire/mini nukes and barely got off single strafe before getting shot down. Clearing the neighborhood took nearly an hour of sweeping alleyways of assaultrons and house fighting legendary gunners.

---

When mods finish the game, if I were to take a second run it would be a gun-fu pistol/shotty slinger.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm really sad that the best armor outside of power armor is mix and match stuff that looks like dog shit.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hit 50 last night, game is getting fun now that I have combat perks invested and weapons maxed instead of trying to play against the grain with avoiding a combat character.. Unleashed my stockpile of 4k 5.56 rounds in a random, but pretty epic fight in Quincy. Fast traveled in to run over to a quest target, but the enemies that respawned there after the initial clear went full on Mogadishu. BoS vertibirds got attracted by the laser fire/mini nukes and barely got off single strafe before getting shot down. Clearing the neighborhood took nearly an hour of sweeping alleyways of assaultrons and house fighting legendary gunners.

---

When mods finish the game, if I were to take a second run it would be a gun-fu pistol/shotty slinger.
Wait, I thought you were saying earlier you were disappointed and planning to uninstall as soon as you were finished? Change of heart or am I confusing you with someone else?

Vorph

Combat armor (especially retextured black) looks good imo; it's really just synth armor that is a sad joke that looks like something an intern made as their first modeling project ever.

My problem is that the best clothing is Minuteman Outfit (+1 AG/+1 PE) and that looks like total ass under everything. I need to make a mod that replaces the model/texture with one of the BoS suits.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't got a single issue with materials yet, the key is to know what to loot. From my experience so far the rarest mat is Fiber Optics.
Just make sure to set your search, so the items you need glow in the real world. I'm a huge pack rat though, I loot everything.

Maybe it's melee, but I use no power armor and no chems, and I constantly get 1 shot and/or have to play hit and run/cheese mechanics to kill some things. If I can get a sneak + crit off, I can take a legendary out in one shot, but that's rough to do in open areas. Hell just yesterday a damn pack of 5 mosquitoes owned me, could only kill 3 of them before they did so much damage and killed me.

I use VATS a lot, i can't imagine not using it. With AP refill on kills and crit refill perks, it makes it a lot more tolerable And I don't have to worry about accuracy in vats as a melee. I do use the grape mentats a lot, since I have 1 cha.

I dislike that the higher melee mods are so high in the intelligence tree.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I somehow managed to play 90 hours in the past week on a single character (while working full time), and still haven't completed the main plot. I've barely slept at all and now I am losing my grip on reality...

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just make sure to set your search, so the items you need glow in the real world. I'm a huge pack rat though, I loot everything.

Maybe it's melee, but I use no power armor and no chems, and I constantly get 1 shot and/or have to play hit and run/cheese mechanics to kill some things. If I can get a sneak + crit off, I can take a legendary out in one shot, but that's rough to do in open areas. Hell just yesterday a damn pack of 5 mosquitoes owned me, could only kill 3 of them before they did so much damage and killed me.

I use VATS a lot, i can't imagine not using it. With AP refill on kills and crit refill perks, it makes it a lot more tolerable And I don't have to worry about accuracy in vats as a melee. I do use the grape mentats a lot, since I have 1 cha.

I dislike that the higher melee mods are so high in the intelligence tree.
I ran the direct opposite. Ranged assassin with almost 0 use of vats. I methodically murder everyone in a camp from a distance. Only here at the end of the story have I switched to an assault rifle/gatling laser and power armor just to murder everything and be done with it. I really don't like that nearly invincible shit, feels like cheating.

Sulrn

Deuces
Wait, I thought you were saying earlier you were disappointed and planning to uninstall as soon as you were finished? Change of heart or am I confusing you with someone else?
Nope. That's me. Should be finished and uninstalled sometime this coming weekend then keeping tabs for when the quality mods start dropping and filling the gaps that I see.

Once I finish the first run I'll be right behind you. Most overhyped game I've purchased. Should have known better from playing FO3.
Unabashed realism !=negativity.
By all means, you're not alone in enjoying the game.I'm enjoying it as well -otherwise I would have already uninstalled. I'm not going to stop pointing out it'sflaws orfeaturesas I continue to progress though, nor should I or the others that are doing the same.
I greatly enjoyed Skyrim, especially after I came back 3 years later on PC and ran vanilla with 100+ mods. I ran Skyrim originally on my 360 and never regretted it and repurchased it for PC. On the other hand with FO4 I wish I had reversed my decision on waiting for Witcher 3 winter sales and waited for FO4 instead.

Makes me laugh that the prehype in this thread was shitty release and amazeballs game play, butits actually been closer to the opposite with rehashed mechanics and mostly stable release (which isn't a bad thing), but lends heavily towards the running joke that they're waiting to let the community invest the time and effort into making the game that this could have been.
I am
rolleyes.png
severely
rolleyes.png
disappointed in the game, but it's still a game that I and (more so) others can find enjoyment out of - even if (for me) it's not a direct result of the designer's intent beyond the sandbox mentality of the game.

But, yes, I am that guy that plans on uninstalling and waiting for the community to finish the game. Partly for Tuco's reasoning with the settlement/world interaction let down, partly for others' game play optimization complaints, but mostly because as much effort as they put into putting new sand into the box it needs a serious capitalization of all the potential they left untapped with the framework they left in place by only taking FO3 and (poorly) implementing community generated mods from 3/NV/Skyrim as the "new" gameplay features for 4.

But I guess vocalizing your critiques and mixed opinion on a game in a "gaming" forum is 'neg farming' these days.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe it's me, but you say things like "Severely disappointed", "most over-hyped game I've bought", "should of known better", but then play the game x hours to 50. Be like eating a sandwich and complaining about it the entire time, then getting up to get more. The battered wife who keeps going back to husband cause "he loves me". So odd.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Brute forcing stuff (at least on Survival) is a lot less cheesy than abusing stealth and headshotting everything to death from miles away with a suppressed .50 cal sniper rifle or juiced up laser sniper. I am only level 25ish and I can pretty much already punk skull cons with my sniper weapons in one or two shots. Sadly, its actually easier to do without a follower fucking up your sneaking so I am actually considering putting points into CHA to get up to Lone Wanderer.

Regarding armor, if you are buying Toughness ranks (and you should), most of your DR will come from base toughness anyhow, so you can slot mostly antirad gear or energy defense and keep the cosmetic armor you want. My main gripe is that there are not enough base armors that allow layering like the Vault Suit does, so if you are at all optimizing you are kind of locked into roughly five or so outfits for your basic look (and the V111 Suit with mods still remains the best in combat). For my sniper play, I actually need the mods on the arms more than the actual armor the pieces provide. Two stabilize arms is almost like having unlimited hold breath. If it weren't for that, I could easily run around in my underwear most of the time. The other dumb thing about the armor is that in most cases modding light nets you less carrying capacity that simply putting pockets on the armor. I mean, you stealth easier with less weight but its a very marginal difference. In fact, stealth mods on armor in general are kind of worthless since the extra weight nearly offsets the bonus you get and a single rank of stealth is already better than putting shadow or muffled on your entire set. Of course if you bee line for it, the Stealth Boy mod on Powered armor is basically the best of both worlds and Godmode all the time.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Running starting at survival mode, definitely a bit of a pain in the ass at the very start. By the time I
cleared the plant
I had 200+ rounds of the most used guns, and 75-100 of the rest. Until that point, though, I was really acheing for stuff. Especially with that
pipeline quest with the mirelurks that take a shitload of ammo to kill at the start
having drained basically all my ammo, haw. Honestly really digging the settlement stuff and stoked to unlock more.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Maybe it's me, but you say things like "Severely disappointed", "most over-hyped game I've bought", "should of known better", but then play the game x hours to 50. Be like eating a sandwich and complaining about it the entire time, then getting up to get more. The battered wife who keeps going back to husband cause "he loves me". So odd.
Or, you know, he is just being a hater to be an internet hipster. There is no shortage of that around here. Bonus Douchebag Points if he pirated the game in the first place, too.

For my money, you could put this game or Last of Us as the best games of the decade, depending on personal preference. Both are perfect in how they entertain and set up the atmosphere of the experience, not to mention suck you in for hours at a time.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I ran the direct opposite. Ranged assassin with almost 0 use of vats. I methodically murder everyone in a camp from a distance. Only here at the end of the story have I switched to an assault rifle/gatling laser and power armor just to murder everything and be done with it. I really don't like that nearly invincible shit, feels like cheating.
High levels of sneak in all the Bethesda games is super OP. Nothing new there. I wish they would change it to be less super invis and more in line with what you see in Deux Ex and other FPS games that use sneak mechanics.

This game feels a bit more ridiculous though with my ranged sniper I can just whack people with my .308 and one shot all but a couple of the hardest enemies. Mostly picking them off without them finding me. Some stuff on very hard is just a super bullet sponge. Some of the droids are ridiculous and the named Mirloc come to mind but 95% of the garbage mobs, even the legendary ones are an easy one or two head shot while crouched. I regret not doing survivor mode from the start. The only things that kill me is if I'm careless and get swarmed / cornered by ghouls or sometimes the assault droids / assassin looking droids can one or two shot me if I get unlucky. Those things do ridiculous damage and are massive bullet sponges.

It's funny. When I first got the game my first run in with the Super mutants I was a little tentative about attacking them. I saved my game and proceeded to cautiously plan my attack. Early on those guys are pretty brutal in previous games. Certainly no joke. Then I proceeded to just head shot their asses to death and a little part of me on the inside was sad it was so easy so early.

I really miss the different ammo types of the previous games. Mob with hith DT? Better swap to FMJ. Nope not in Fallout 4.

I'm noticing that I have a huge collection of bobby pins and that used to not happen in the previous games. I wouldn't say they were rare but I don't remember ever having 150 pins on me either. Lock picking feels much easier, especially on the high end.

It's not that I don't enjoy the game. It's just hard not to notice they really dumbed down the gameplay and story options from New Vegas and previous installments.

Caliane

44 hours /played in 6 days. worst game ever. so, regret buying.

probably preordered too.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
It's not that I don't enjoy the game. It's just hard not to notice they really dumbed the game play down from New Vegas and previous installments.
Bethesda did not make New Vegas. Obsidian made it, and they made it at a time when they still employed several of the people who worked on the oldest games.

That's why New Vegas was better balanced, with better story, and was much more like an older style Fallout game.

The reason you have gobs of bobby pins is this is like the 4th game in a row to use that mechanic and you're getting much better at picking locks. I can straight guess a lot of the computer codes for hacking on a first attempt at this point at well. The right answer just sort of "sticks out" now.

Vaclav

The reason you have gobs of bobby pins is this is like the 4th game in a row to use that mechanic and you're getting much better at picking locks. I can straight guess a lot of the computer codes for hacking on a first attempt at this point at well. The right answer just sort of "sticks out" now.
It's not JUST that - they do drop alot too - I was just practicing on FO3 just before FO4, and the tolerance on breaking pins did finally get adjusted in line with people being more used to the mechanic - I swear they break 2-3x faster now without directly running them side by side to check. Doesn't seem like there's more that drop each time, but they seem to drop more consistently - clearing many decent sized areas has 2-3 mirrors/etc with a set of 2-4 per usually with only maybe 3 locks in the same region.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess life is different as a melee, I have to bait and hide to try and bring enemies closer(which is not fun with never ending grenades). Open world mobs/bases are very rough. Inside buildings is so much easier. Maybe once I get higher blitz ranks it will be easier.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I haven't tried melee but I will on another play through.

As for lock picking I feel as though Fallout 4 has more tolerance for finding the sweet spot on high end locks than in previous games. I'd have to load them up again to see but it feels like previous games my pins would break far more often when rotating the cylinder but not opening. Feels like I can manage on a single pick and still have that fail, click and move the pin, fail move the pin etc without breaking much more often now than in previous games.

I remember those high end locks nearly breaking a pin on the second or third fail click pretty regularly in 3 and NV. Perhaps my memory is flawed. I never had issues opening locks in any game just feel as though in 4 it's easier and I'm not sold on the "you're just better at it".