Fallout 4

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think it has to do with the game simply not letting you try a lock unless you are at a certain perk level. Whereas you could try and pick basically anything in previous games and your lockpick deals would just snap after .5s in the wrong spot. I definitely know Skyrim was like that and I'm trying to remember how FO3 was, but I remember it being harder because ranks determined ease, not ability to even try.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
hacking and picking is easier in FO4 than NV.... or maybe I had mods to make them harder in NV or something, haha.

That's the problem with me si that my most recent playthroughs of FO3 and NV were modded to the gills so the comparison is biased. Even at level 40 or whatever in NV (basically meaning I cleared almost everything) the encounters were still difficult.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If I snipe at a pretty decent range with a suppressor, will that work pretty well or no because lack of sneak? Prior to suppressors in lexington I did snipe down slowly the power armor mini nuke raider a couple shots at a time and waiting till he was turned while looking for me.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I honestly dont have a problem with new VATS system. The crit on demand is very interesting as it lends an actual, quantifiable critical meter that is directly influenced by your SPECIAL. This is actually a pretty innovative and genius mechanic that makes VATS infinitely more interesting. It also makes PER quite valuable as having good accuracy in VATS is crucial especially combined with the crit.

The slow motion thing is pretty annoying but it forces you to select your attacks with more urgency which makes the game more challenging if mobs are in your face. I think its a good change and one they probably thought long and hard about and ultimately decided to put it in because it just makes the game better.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Especially with that
pipeline quest with the mirelurks that take a shitload of ammo to kill at the start
having drained basically all my ammo, haw. Honestly really digging the settlement stuff and stoked to unlock more.
Combat Shotgun is the answer to most enemies in the game, especially earlier on. Its available off of vendors and ammo is reasonably available for it. I cleared out that entire camp almost entirely with just the CSG modded up for damage and ammo capacity. Synth Rifle is also another easy to obtain early option with plentiful ammo that several of the earlier harder to kill enemies that you mentioned are susceptible to. My wife had the same issues you did until she modded up her first CSG. Go narrow spread, long barrel, and maximum damage. Eventually tack on a suppressor and marksman stock for added lulz. The main thing to be aware of is that certain weapons do improved damage against particular enemies, but the raw damage of a narrow spread shotgun will generally overpower most enemies.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah lately ive been using a shotgun for anything big, and the deliverer for stealthy shit and mowing through groups of ghouls.

intelnavi_sl

shitlord
The shotgun from Covenant store is awesome for it. It's special is a chance to stagger, seems about 33% chance, maybe a little lower, for me. Great for anything like legendarys as you can just unload and they are staggered constantly.

If you need money to buy it, build a bunch of water filters at sanctuary and the drive in. Water shows up in the workshop everyday, and you can just cheese sleep/fast travel to constantly generate it. Sell to a vendor for infinite money. Buy a weapon stand, etc. and generate caps while letting you sell 5 feet away from the workbench.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Also, for people having problems with VATS, there are plenty of options to boost your Perception through gear, if you just want to cheese high hit chances. Numerous hats and clothing come with built in Perception and you will occasionally see legendary enemies drop special armor that may include a bonus. With 7 PER, I can pretty much hit stuff on demand, even sniping from a long ways out. And 7 is very achievable with a base stat of 4 (which is as low as I would take it) and some limited gear choices. Like Hodj said, though, VATS is best used as a close range oh shit button, especially with a shotgun, or as a quick pistol headshot spam for clearing out raiders at close range. I have found that with a well modded 10mm pistol, you can enter a room and broom several raiders with one set of VATS commands, mostly because it keeps the Stealth bonuses in place for the entire sequence of commands. So, sneak in, que up 8ish headshots and enjoy the slow motion melon popping.

I think the game has two balance issues right now. The first being Stealth simply being too good at the high end, but weak initially, which incentivizes dumping a lot into it and hitting the tipping point really fast. The second is modifiers being directly additive, instead of scaling or multiplicative, resulting in some outrageous stacking bonuses. The first issue they addressed with some forced open fights, but you can cheese it with souped up powered armor if you want. The second is one of those things that either gets fixed when Obsidian gets its next turn (if they do) or by mods for the PC Master Race. Failing that, some soft caps on both damage and resistance would be nice.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I ran with one point in stealth for 15 or 20 levels and was fine. I was picking up the covert ops magazines but really, I tried to slow down the power curve to make the game more challenging to im tipping 35 right now and its only just becoming cheese easy to walk in a room and clean up quick.

I really encourage avoiding a heavy stealth focus early on and duking shit out wit pistols and rifles and grenades and shit. The combat is just more lively and interesting when you actually have to duke it out for awhile in the early levels.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
In previous games (probably Elder Scrolls games, as well as Fallout) the picks would break on your 3rd miss. The easy way to get around this, tho, was to just exit the lockpick screen then start the process over since it would refresh your 3strikes. Came in super handy if you were ever struggling for lockpicks (I never had issues but a few of my roommates used to burn through them like nobody's business in Oblivion and FO 3 before they just started having me pick the locks for them).

Sulrn

Deuces
Maybe it's me, but you say things like "Severely disappointed", "most over-hyped game I've bought", "should of known better", but then play the game x hours to 50. Be like eating a sandwich and complaining about it the entire time, then getting up to get more. The battered wife who keeps going back to husband cause "he loves me". So odd.
Or people are inflecting negativity when it's not there to the degree they're getting rustled over with my commentary. Hence the roll eyes sarcasm italicizing, and the bolding of me saying I was enjoying the game and critiquing the flaws sticking out to me from the rehashed game play since the outstanding moments of fun that separate this from modded FO3 have been few to non-existent. But because I've only had one memorable experience that I mentioned and got criticized for, I'm ragging on the game for talking about the things that make me sad that this passes as an evolution of a game when it's not instead of talking about how amusing it was watching a named npc literally shoot rad roaches out of gatling gun at me because my game was glitching out. Or because I didn't talk about the amusing things I found while wall clipping trying to find my lost companion who glitched inside a solid building.

I like the sandwich comment though, because anyone who cooks and enjoys food can often be found doing just that. "This is an interesting sandwich idea, but this is how I would make it at my house to make it better." Next thing you know you're having a discussion about the importance of in season produce versus green house and you've partaken in an actual intellectual conversation. Too bad that's not what a forum is for...

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Pretty sure no one has praised the game as a huge leap forward over the previous titles in any regards except maybe the combat.

The dialogue is a huge step back, for instance.

Its more like we can all see the flaws and realize that the game is tight regardless.

No one is "rustled" over your commentary, they just dont want to read a bitchfest in this thread right now.

Plenty of time for complaints later.

Vorph

I ran with one point in stealth for 15 or 20 levels and was fine. I was picking up the covert ops magazines but really, I tried to slow down the power curve to make the game more challenging to im tipping 35 right now and its only just becoming cheese easy to walk in a room and clean up quick.

I really encourage avoiding a heavy stealth focus early on and duking shit out wit pistols and rifles and grenades and shit. The combat is just more lively and interesting when you actually have to duke it out for awhile in the early levels.
Heh, my melee build is taking Sneak at 1, 5, 12, and 23. Never dealing with frag mines again.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah melee build really needs stealth to facilitate getting closer to mobs so thats understandable.

Im reslly just speaking to gun combat. Heavy stealth headshot builds are just OP, and might make the game kind of boring if you go that route first time through.

Sulrn

Deuces
I'm not saying anyone here is claiming its a huge leap forward, just the general expectation of going from 3->4 usually is improved engine, game play, and mechanics.

I would disagree that no one wants to read it. Every time a major release I'm interested in hits I check around communities for honest comments on games. Rerolled isn't nearly as good about this as it was with the larger community at FoH, but it still holds some people.

If you don't want to read it

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm not saying anyone here is claiming its a huge leap forward, just the general expectation of going from 3->4 usually is improved engine, game play, and mechanics.
That might be true for any other game from any other company, but bethesda has used the same engine with slight modifications for almost 20 years, and literally the core audience did not want major changes to the fallout 3/nv formula. Fucking No Mutants Allowed completely lost their shit over the changes from 2 to 3 and have never really gotten over it.

What Im saying is your expectations or what you perceive others expectations are is just flat incorrect.

The less Bethesda fucks with the better. Everything they changed or added is the stuff with the biggest flaws. Dialogue system, settlement shit, etc.

Sulrn

Deuces
Not really, I can usually 3 shot with my sledge in combat at 50. If I was sneaking/ninja at 10x I'm pretty sure I'd be watching things explode.

Your only limitation is finding weapons that are scaling with you. The lack of a real crafting system hurts you here as I haven't found a decent melee weapon since 20.

Vorph

Pretty sure no one has praised the game as a huge leap forward over the previous titles in any regards except maybe the combat.

The dialogue is a huge step back, for instance.
I think it's a huge leap forward over any other game Bethesda has made. I'll judge it compared to New Vegas after all the DLC is out, because it's just not fair to compare a new game to one that had arguably the best DLCs ever made for any game.

I don't mind the dialogue system. Yes, the amount of dialogue has been reduced, but I'll take that as a fair trade off for having my character voiced. You still have just as much control over the tone of your character, sometimes more, even if you can't see the exact words ahead of time. I kind of enjoy pressing the "sarcastic" response and never really knowing what my character is going to say, but most of the time it's funny. My only real gripe is what I said the other day: Brandon Keenan being the voice of about 80% of all random male characters and a large chunk of the non-random ones as well. It just keeps getting more ridiculous the longer I play the game too. I'm out at Atomic Cats right now and three different named guys all have the voice of Garrus trying to be hip. Third or fourth time I've heard Ashly Burch voicing named female characters too.